1 2
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/13 9:41 a.m.

Holy thread resurrection!

Good topic anyway.

Also, slight off topic, don't let the ground path go through bearings. It WILL hurt them.

Rob R.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/13 9:46 a.m.

I have fried two ECU's by neglecting to disconnect them before welding. I am a slow learner. I note the Nissan ECU will also fry if you install a single pole battery disconnect that does not cut the charge circuit.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/17/13 9:46 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Holy thread resurrection! Good topic anyway. Also, slight off topic, don't let the ground path go through bearings. It WILL hurt them. Rob R.

I completely believe that the heat from poor contact in the bearing would melt the grease or any plastic stuff but am trying to picture the scenario where a person of sound mind would place a bearing between the ground clamp and the torch.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/13 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

I have worked in industrial settings most of my career. I have witnessed a few techs weld near or through a bearing (not on the bearing, but letting the electricity go through the bearing).

What happens is the bearing surfaces that are in close contact with each other "micro-weld". This WILL cause the bearing to prematurely fail.

Some people don't think about these things. Just thought I would throw that out there if anybody is welding on an upright or something similar.

Rob R.

12/17/13 9:58 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: I have worked in industrial settings most of my career. I have witnessed a few techs weld near or through a bearing (not on the bearing, but letting the electricity go through the bearing). What happens is the bearing surfaces that are in close contact with each other "micro-weld". This WILL cause the bearing to prematurely fail.

The micro-welding thing - yeah, I guess that would toast a bearing race pretty quickly. I get that a lot when I'm being lazy and using the clamp on the welding table instead of clamping it to the part. Go to pick it up and it needs a sharp rap with the hammer to unstick if from the table.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/17/13 10:55 a.m.

I weld naked, in the rain, while flying a kite.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
12/17/13 11:27 a.m.

I always remove both terminals and pull the ECU. One time on an e30 I didnt pull the ecu and I killed the O2 sensor.

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat Reader
12/17/13 2:01 p.m.

I had my dad TIG an exhaust hanger on my Ranger with no ill effects.

12/17/13 2:06 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: I weld naked, in the rain, while flying a kite.

Don't tie the kite to your hootus if you know whats good for you

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/17/13 5:00 p.m.

Always disconnect the battery. And some things are vehicle specific. I know we had a Passat in the shop once, and the crash book specifically said to disconnect the ABS control unit before welding. I wonder who learned that one the hard way?

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Dork
12/17/13 6:00 p.m.

It's a wives tale as far as I can tell. I've been welding for decades on automobiles as well as industrial equipment that's way more electrically complex than automobiles and never had a problem.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
50FhTIJje0RVsmY7ryALA3cDKqLZPfKL1cKnCy8oVevCA0m2qVDFMksRKiDZffUL