1 2
Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/16 9:18 p.m.

It's a brand spankin new 2016 Wrangler Sport!

She's been tentatively planning a car purchase for a few months now, thinking along the lines of a new Exploder or the like, but was bitten by the Jeep bug instead. I'm ecstatic, as I have been 75% jokingly pitching the JK all along, never thinking she would actually go for it. This flies in the face of her numerous prior complaints about both two doors and convertibles and general indifference towards cars, but I think it's awesome to see her buy a "fun car." Really happy for her. Plus, our beach trip next month just got a whole lot more awesome

I think I'm going to send her a Quadratec catalogue and a Jeep warming gift - got any suggestions?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
4/7/16 9:29 p.m.

Tow strap. Shovel. Tire plug kit. Phone number of an Isuzu owner to tow it out.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
4/7/16 9:29 p.m.

Nice!! I think I still like the looks of the 2 door better. Suggestions? Get a bikini top for your beach trip...........for the Jeep I mean. I have about 200 other suggestions too but I think the Quadratec catalog should take care of most of those.

outasite
outasite Reader
4/7/16 9:36 p.m.

Sun screen and Jeep hat

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
4/7/16 9:41 p.m.

Oh, forgot to mention–I'm exceedingly jealous.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/16 6:32 a.m.

White tank top.

Furious_E
4/8/16 7:12 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Tow strap. Shovel. Tire plug kit. Phone number of an Isuzu owner to tow it out.

She happens to know a handsome gentleman with an XJ and a tow strap for that purpose

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/8/16 7:14 a.m.

Did you take that photo? It has very cool lighting.

Furious_E
4/8/16 7:20 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I did, and thank you but it was totally by accident lol. I just wanted to snap a quick pic on my tablet, guess the porch light must have been hitting it just so.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
4/8/16 7:24 a.m.

I'm not generally on off-road type of guy, but I do love me some short-wheelbase 4x4 action on occasion. Which engine did she get?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/16 7:29 a.m.

I would get her a link to the Jeep Jamboree website..

Furious_E
4/8/16 7:32 a.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacing:

I think the Pentastar is the only option, right? Auto tranny though, which is really the only complaint from me.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/8/16 8:07 a.m.

Yeah, 3.6 Pentastar is the only engine option in the newer Wranglers. Auto isn't necessarily a bad thing in one of those. Especially without the lower gearing of a Rubicon, a manual can be a pain when crawling around off-road.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/8/16 8:12 a.m.

The two doors seem to need a LOT less lift and tire to be capable off road, which is nice. Do let us know what sort of shenanigans younger into with it.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/8/16 8:20 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The two doors seem to need a LOT less lift and tire to be capable off road, which is nice. Do let us know what sort of shenanigans younger into with it.

Agreed. The shorter wheelbase makes it harder to get high centered, basically trading improved low speed off-road ability for less high speed ability in the dirt. And the JK in question here appears to have the optional 32s on it already

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/8/16 8:22 a.m.

From the title this had potential to rival the Amy thread... but the jeep is nice too.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/8/16 8:48 a.m.

Invest in a good set of retrofit projector headlights. There are several brands making decent ones. The OE headlights blow even worse than most Mopar OE headlights do.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/16 9:27 a.m.

Before you go in any water check all your breathers including the transmission. A friend got a 15 and first time in water it got in his transmission. Found the breather loose. He says to also check all the electrical plugs on the trans as they found some not snapped all the way in.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/8/16 9:29 a.m.
Stampie wrote: Before you go in any water check all your breathers including the transmission. A friend got a 15 and first time in water it got in his transmission. Found the breather loose. He says to also check all the electrical plugs on the trans as they found some not snapped all the way in.

Agreed. And if you go through any water deep enough to get the axle tubes wet, check the diff fluid for water intrusion afterwards.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
4/8/16 10:21 a.m.
Furious_E wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote: Tow strap. Shovel. Tire plug kit. Phone number of an Isuzu owner to tow it out.
She happens to know a handsome gentleman with an XJ and a tow strap for that purpose

And you're not jealous of him?

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
4/8/16 10:47 a.m.

My wife has this sticker on her jeep.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
4/8/16 12:18 p.m.
rslifkin wrote:
Stampie wrote: Before you go in any water check all your breathers including the transmission. A friend got a 15 and first time in water it got in his transmission. Found the breather loose. He says to also check all the electrical plugs on the trans as they found some not snapped all the way in.
Agreed. And if you go through any water deep enough to get the axle tubes wet, check the diff fluid for water intrusion afterwards.

Better yet, pull the factory breathers off the diffs and tranny and run flexible tube from the breather connection all the way into the highest point in the engine bay. That way you're not sucking water in through the breather end (if you go in deep enough).

Furious_E
4/8/16 1:47 p.m.
Duke wrote: Invest in a good set of retrofit projector headlights. There are several brands making decent ones. The OE headlights blow even worse than most Mopar OE headlights do.

Yea, that was one of the things that really stood out to me on the quick trip around the block that I got. The low beams suck big ass, can't see anything beyond like 30 ft.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/16 1:54 p.m.
edwardh80 wrote: (if you go in deep enough).

It is ever in deep enough?

Furious_E
4/8/16 1:59 p.m.
edwardh80 wrote:
rslifkin wrote:
Better yet, pull the factory breathers off the diffs and tranny and run flexible tube from the breather connection all the way into the highest point in the engine bay. That way you're not sucking water in through the breather end (if you go in deep enough).

My best friend in college (who would fit in quite well around here, I might add) had a YJ for like a semester or two. I was 100% sure we had killed the tranny one time on a water crossing because he had never extended the breather lines. Drove out of the creek and the tranny immediately started making KILL ME NOW! noises, then wouldn't shift out of 2nd on the way home. Noises persisted for like a week, as my buddy kept driving it anyways thinking the harm had already been done by then, then magically vanished one day and it was good as new. That Jeep truly gave zero berkeleys about anything lol.

EDIT: I'll check out the breathers on hers, but I kind of highly doubt its going to be in any sort of deep water anytime soon. We'll see though, she surprisingly seems fairly open to the possibility of off roading it, just might have to wait for the "newness" to wear off a bit first.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OHfJy08LmfxAfvrmMcekTpgVK75TdMl3LrfQnuu5utNYv6rJBwVtxcKL6UorFKWi