1 2
SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer HalfDork
3/6/12 2:31 p.m.

Sunday, I bought a 85 Fiero GT with the hopes of making it my Challenge/Autocross/track day toy. I emailed the PO for a month before driving 210 miles to see and buy the car. it ran great on the way home. Today, after making space in the Laboratory, I was getting ready to drive it in and it had an electrical fire.On the up side, I hadn't gotten it inside so there is no damage to the building. The Fiero, however, is now a parts car. My lovely and supportive wife said we can get another one.

Here are the pic....because this happened.

Before:

After:

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/12 2:35 p.m.

Wow...

Glad there was no personal or building damage.

Bummer, and a frustrating one... Hope you can find someone after a Fiero parts car without too much trouble.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/6/12 2:39 p.m.

Holy Crap. Was that the one on Team TAC?

Was the engine damaged or the fire only in the front?

misuta_ni
misuta_ni New Reader
3/6/12 2:48 p.m.

Avoid electrical fires...and gas tank related fires...and random just-for-fun fires...ditch the Fiero and buy an MR2.

Glad everyone and the buildings were unscathed.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 2:50 p.m.

damn.. under the dash? I wonder what went?

RossD
RossD SuperDork
3/6/12 2:52 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: damn.. under the dash? I wonder what went?

I'm gonna guess something eletrical.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/6/12 2:53 p.m.
RossD wrote:

Did the 85 have digital gages?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/6/12 2:55 p.m.

Yeah, that sucks. I gave you a plug on our Facebook page. Maybe that helps cast a wider net for a replacement.

pigeon
pigeon SuperDork
3/6/12 2:56 p.m.

Wow, that sucks but could have been so much worse. Thanks for reminding me that I need an extinguisher or 2 for the garage and one for the track M3.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/12 3:07 p.m.

Fieros....still the most aptly named car ever.

And I still want one. That's a real E36 M3 stroke of luck, man.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
3/6/12 3:27 p.m.

That E36 M3'll buff out. I say use the body, stuff full of good parts, and run it with the burn marks still on it.

SillyImportRacer
3/6/12 3:30 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Yes, it was. Thanks for posting it here, btw.

The fier was under the dash. It's amazing how fast it went up. If I didn't have an extinguisher, it would have been much worse. ...the fuel tank is full.

SillyImportRacer
3/6/12 3:31 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Thanks. Y'all are the best.

SillyImportRacer
3/6/12 3:44 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado:

No, the gauges are analog. I'm reasonably sure digital gauges were not available in the Fiero any year. Although, the look like S-10 gauges so there may be an aftermarket version.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 3:52 p.m.

Aftermarket stereo?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 3:53 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Aftermarket stereo?

Nevermind I can see it in the second pic. You won't be able to tell now but I bet that it was the initiation point.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 4:30 p.m.
RossD wrote:

I'm shocked

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 4:55 p.m.

That does not look to bad. Does it still run? I would gut it and go race it.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
3/6/12 5:32 p.m.

Bit of a trip for you but you'd help me avoid the temptation of this one listed locally

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2850046000.html

Craigslist Seller said:you probably have seen this post many times, but i have solved all major problems with the car, she starts right up and drives, the only problem is it needs an alignment, ive thought about keeping the car and putting it on the road but im just too big for the car, i will be completly honest with everything that needs to be repaired...: the radiator fan doesnt turn on when the car heats up a little over operating temp, it could just be a fuse/ relay, the car needs to be painted, the tires have about 90-95% tread, needs a shifter boot, and shift knob, it has a slight vacuum leak but nothing to worry about, it has a brand new battery, i wouldnt reccomend driving it home since the radiator fan doesnt turn on and needs an alignment unless you live close, shoot me a call or text 609-489-3415 my name is zach, text at any time, call from 12:45pm to 10:00 pm

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/6/12 5:33 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: That does not look to bad. Does it still run? I would gut it and go race it.

This. Is it really so bad that it can't be repaired?

SillyImportRacer
3/6/12 5:36 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Got some major wiering damage. Not to sure I trust my ability to manufacture a new harness.

SillyImportRacer
3/6/12 5:37 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Thanks, but that's kinda far.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
SillyImportRacer wrote: In reply to dean1484: Got some major wiering damage. Not to sure I trust my ability to manufacture a new harness.

I would get a wiring diagram and have a try first. What is the worse that can happen? It has already caught fire once.

SillyImportRacer

In reply to 93EXCivic:

With my skill set, yes.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 5:46 p.m.

Just glad you're ok! ...and you probably just drove it enough to start liking it...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8z9dNIa3n0pRiSP5bZ53CiMj57UBFLGhZluSnegQsNj2uViDRd8KdRkVZCenEn5g