1 2 3
accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/18/18 5:49 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
NOHOME said:

So everything I read tells me that boosting a Miata will result in heat management challenges in a road-course situation.

Not everything you read. It's about proper prep.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a14500141/flyin-miata-turbo-nd-torture-test/

Will this be worse? I guess we'll find out. We're certainly not helping airflow across the rad with heat exchangers for each booster (that is my new term for a single Forced Induction Unit). We've theorized a lot of what will happen here, but we're not 100% sure. The turbo is not going to be a limitation, it's already big enough to support 350-ish hp. The super will be acting as a multiplier, so it'll be able to handler higher power levels than it would be if it were breathing unpressurized air. But really, the rest of the platform isn't ready for that sort of behavior yet, and this is a ridiculously expensive way to solve problems that don't exist - the turbo doesn't suffer from a weak bottom end and the super doesn't fall off at the top. So really we're putting this together because we can, because we're curious and because we think it's awesome. We'll learn something and of course it underlines the fact that we happen to sell both turbos and superchargers, which is good justification from the marketing department to help out the guys who budget R&D time laugh

Phssssssst, this needs as much justification to be as I need a justification to continue breathing.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
1/18/18 7:13 p.m.

Thank goodness for business tax write-offs

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
1/19/18 7:34 a.m.

I'm curious how this "we had it lying around, so we had to use it" thing works. What if I invited Keith over for dinner and "just happened" to have a spare LS, swap kit and Miata in the garage?

How's dinner Saturday sound Keith?  Catch me on my cell, I've got some parts to pick up.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/18 8:12 p.m.

I am looking at my parts bin and I have an m62 and the turbo off a Mazda 2.2. I have a couple different inter coolers lying around. I wonder if my MS2 can be made to make this work.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xTPKb6UWQMnO56QIC9Aj8US7Z2MXe1FtaL6FbWJniqPQWP5WUupPT4mwDHEIbpKi