1 2 3 4
pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/5/16 3:55 a.m.

I'm sticking with my originally stated position on Crammit vs Camaro.

I'm doing pretty well for myself on the income front if I use the info from codrus's post as a yardstick. And there's no freaking way I'd pick up some $600+ a month payment along with added costs like insurance for a car. Right now my payment is about $215 monthly and I would have a hard time rationalizing much more.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/5/16 6:20 a.m.
sirrichardpumpaloaf wrote:
pres589 wrote: I gotta say that the Crammit nickname for the Camaro seems kind of dumb.
Origins of Crammit.

That rambling thread clarified nothing. WTF is Crammit?

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
12/5/16 7:05 a.m.

It works out well enough for everybody I suppose. Those able to afford brand new cars have quite a few decent options. Those who want to spend less and buy used have better options than ever before too. $20K might not buy you the brand new vehicle you want, but it can buy some really impressive used machinery.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
12/5/16 7:10 a.m.

Well, if we set aside how much other people should be willing to pay (or go into debt) for their cars for a minute, we should at least be able to agree that the cars listed by the OP do give us a lot of good choices in the under $40k bracket.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/5/16 7:10 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
sirrichardpumpaloaf wrote:
pres589 wrote: I gotta say that the Crammit nickname for the Camaro seems kind of dumb.
Origins of Crammit.
That rambling thread clarified nothing. WTF is Crammit?

It was, apparently, someone's obscure childhood nickname for a Camaro that they thought was common parlance.

As for the whole $40K, yeah, not happening here. I prefer the one-and-done car payment method, so if I can't afford to buy it outright in cash, not getting it. Hence why I haven't owned a vehicle newer than 1999

trucke
trucke Dork
12/5/16 7:14 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Dr Ribs Revere: Agreed. I don't understand how people can be comfortable with that amount of debt. I know a guy who is buying a brand new Focus RS. I have a fairly good idea of his income. It amazes me how he got a loan for the car...

Because this:

1/3 Financed Auto are Upside Down

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
12/5/16 7:31 a.m.

I'd much rather have my 996 than any of those new vehicles listed. And, yeah, it's all mine. No bank involved.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/5/16 7:37 a.m.

Awe, this E36 M3 again? If no one buys new cars, where's your used cars?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/16 7:44 a.m.

Doesn't feel like a good time to be an enthusiast to me, but it is a good time to be a wealthy enthusiast.

And I think the next 5-10 years are going to be a bad time for budget enthusiasts as EVs enter the picture. Right now there are two very expensive parts needed to build an EV: the battery and a drivetrain that will stand up to the torque. Until those are affordable, those who can afford to build an EV will have a huge advantage. I'm seeing this first-hand already.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
12/5/16 7:51 a.m.

I've read more "spending $40,000 on a new car is absurd" than I assumed I would and it's VERY encouring to say the least.

Recently, seeing what people around me are buying was making me feel bad about my inexpensive tastes and inclinations.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/5/16 7:52 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

But old tech will get cheaper in the secondary market, especially has buyers flock to purchase their first EVs in droves. Used DI turbo cars will get very cheap.

I just look forward to autonomous driving to become mainstream accessible so that I'm able to leave the house again.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/16 8:24 a.m.

Thanks for not disappointing on the righteous indignation over new car purchases.

If it weren't for us saps, you wouldn't be able to buy one used. Jesus Christ.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/5/16 8:26 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Thanks for not disappointing on the righteous indignation over new car purchases. If it weren't for us saps, you wouldn't be able to buy one used. Jesus Christ.

Predictable as the morning sun, isn't it?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
12/5/16 8:37 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Despite what my previous post seemed to suggest, I love the fact (and the people) that there are expensive cars and people with the money and desire to buy them.

I'm not one of them but these wealthier, hard-working people made it possible for me to drive a Yukon Denali that cost almost $60,000 new in 2005.

I don't have $40,000 to spend on a car but I think it's great that others do. If you earn it, you automatically earn the right to spend it on whatever you want.

(Not that anyone was looking for my permission)

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/5/16 9:48 a.m.

Been driving over 40 years now and most of that was w/ beaters/ work cars done GRM style. Had nice toys but also used. At 58, started thinking about what my retirement vehicle oughta be... new Sierra or Silverado.. why wait tho? Enough sacrifice, drive it now and enjoy it. Traded in the '12 Sierra SLE on a '14 Silverado LTZ before the second oil change and tire rotation.

'New every two' now but that's w/ year end deals and supplier discount. House ain't no Taj Mahal but it's paid for, retirement fund is good, bills get paid and slush fund is ample.

I might let the screen door fall off the house ... but I'm gonna drive some nice cars.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/5/16 9:48 a.m.

It's a matter of perspective, I suppose. I'm sure few new car buyers go straight to buying $40K+ cars. They tend to work up to it. Likely much to do with the general habit of buying based on a car payment vs. the total price. Leasing skews the numbers as well.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/5/16 9:55 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: If you earn it, you automatically earn the right to spend it on whatever you want. (Not that anyone was looking for my permission)

Thank you, big spenders. I look forward to one day driving your hand-me-downs!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/5/16 10:22 a.m.

This thread didn't exactly go the way I thought it would. I was using 40k as an upper figure mainly to include the Focus RS Subaru Sti and Golf R, because they're the kinds of cars many enthusiasts want or have at least been asking for over the years.

Let's change direction a bit:

What cars, available new, right now, have your attention, either as a new purchase of a used purchase a few years down the road?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/5/16 10:27 a.m.

Actually, a new/ used Volt or the new Bolt. Just time to go there.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/16 10:33 a.m.

Focus RS, Mustang GT with the Performance Pack, Camaro SS 1LE package.

SS is a bit more at ~$44k, but it's an incredible amount of car for the money.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/5/16 11:00 a.m.

If the stars align, the Focus RS, Shelby GT350 and Golf R are on my radar.

The car I'd find a way to buy would be the Volvo Concept Estate... provided they ever decide to actually build it.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
12/5/16 11:13 a.m.

Whatever has the least options and the most RWD and manual.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
12/5/16 11:18 a.m.

On paper, the V6 Camaro with 1LE package sounds really good.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/5/16 11:22 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: What cars, available new, right now, have your attention, either as a new purchase of a used purchase a few years down the road?

C7 Corvette Stingray -- it the first Vette that I've ever really been drawn to. What an amazing machine.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/5/16 11:25 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: What cars, available new, right now, have your attention, either as a new purchase of a used purchase a few years down the road?

I just bought a manual six speed Tacoma Off-Road 4x4 to have a nice, reliable, comfortable thing to do "sporty" stuff with (bike/ski/moto), tow medium duty things, carry generic undetermined stuff around and get to clients in any weather. So... that. And maybe an M2 or Cayman ... used maybe an Exige.

That might be it at any price really. The only real use I have for a sporty car is HPDE/Race School instructing and comfortably driving the big distance between tracks I've never had the chance to drive so I had a capable and engaging car to rip on them with and a fun time getting there.

Honestly though - I'd probably rather ride the bike there and rent the track car for the event at this point. No car is as engaging as any motorcycle for me, for now. SO, I don't actually own any sporty track worthy cars at all... new/used or other for now.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A4n6G1C0EnUzgUgC48hJJF7ARMP3OskjTBJ4cIyAIRLR9M4wbgr15Zaq2vGS1SVs