1 2
plance1
plance1 SuperDork
7/18/16 11:14 p.m.

I've been thinking about selling this car. I'm kind of torn. The engine is "messed up." I'd like to put a V8 in it if I could get a little help from someone who knows how to turn a wrench. You don't have to take pity on me, Ill pay you for your time. Who's with me!!!!????

photo 20160717_195356_zps1be6q5nt.jpg

photo 20160717_195634_zpstr5lqsss.jpg

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/19/16 7:16 a.m.

I don't have tons of spare time lately, but I'd love to lend a hand when possible. Sounds like a fun project.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/19/16 7:47 a.m.

The rest of us can help remotely with encouragement, solutions, and occasional ludicrous humor.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
7/19/16 11:54 a.m.

Start by planning........

Do you need to be emissions compliant?

Do you want to run manual, or automatic?

What V8 did you have in mind, will it fit the car? Will it pass emissions if need be?

What is your budget?

many.... many more questions to ask.......

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/16 12:19 p.m.

I think, in order to really harness the madness, you need to proclaim that it shall be done in a weekend! The nutcases will descend.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/19/16 12:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I think, in order to really harness the madness, you need to proclaim that it shall be done in a weekend! The nutcases will descend.

This man speaks the truth. Double bonus if you claimed to have it challenge ready.

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/19/16 2:47 p.m.

On the emissions/will it fit/is it cheap front, the easy option here is GM LS truck motor. People joke that the 2/7/9 Volvos have space for a whole spare engine under the hood, and for the most part this is true.

Kartoffelbrei
Kartoffelbrei UltraDork
7/19/16 5:52 p.m.

Well, what's wrong with the B230F(T?)

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
7/19/16 6:01 p.m.
Kartoffelbrei wrote: Well, what's wrong with the B230F(T?)

It's not a V8?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/19/16 6:09 p.m.

Unfortunately, I am too far away to help. On the plus side, swapping a V8 into a 240/740 chassis is a well worn path for either Ford or GM options.

Kartoffelbrei
Kartoffelbrei UltraDork
7/19/16 6:21 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote:
It's not a V8?

I wasn't objecting his plans, just asking him to clarify what was "messed up" with the engine.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
7/19/16 9:42 p.m.

Call Kevin at DTR Performance in Florence - DTRguy@gmail.com. He has a current project doing one of these that has a motor on the stands currently. Just need to get my Rabbit out of his garage so he has space for it

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
7/19/16 10:13 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: I don't have tons of spare time lately,

That's my excuse... wait, I don't have tons of knowledge is my excuse!

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
7/19/16 10:15 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: The rest of us can help remotely with encouragement, solutions, and occasional ludicrous humor.

Not good enough, need funds. Send money.

79sa
79sa New Reader
7/19/16 10:24 p.m.

whats wrong with the motor that has all the making of a turbo volvo with the strongest motor? 940 with the egg crate grill plus hydras would mean turbo wagon.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
7/19/16 10:28 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Start by planning........ Do you need to be emissions compliant? Do you want to run manual, or automatic? What V8 did you have in mind, will it fit the car? Will it pass emissions if need be? What is your budget? many.... many more questions to ask.......

Do you need to be emissions compliant? NO, KENTUCKY DOESN'T HAVE EMMISSIONS TESTS ANYMORE.

Do you want to run manual, or automatic? MANUAL

What V8 did you have in mind, will it fit the car? Will it pass emissions if need be?

JAGS THAT RUN SELL STANDARD 350 CHEVY MOUNTS. I KNOW YOU CAN GET LS ENGINE ADAPTOR "PLATES" TO SLIP IN AN LS ENGINE. THERES ANOTHER COMPANY THAT I FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK THAT SELLS LS ENGINE MOUNTS. TO BE HONEST WITH YOU, AND I KNOW IT MIGHT NOT MAKE MUCH LOGICAL SENSE, BUT I'D PREFER TO GET A 5.0 FORD WITH A 5 SPEED FROM A FOX MUSTANG. I THINK IT WOULD BE SIMPLER, CHEAPER AND SOUND BETTER THAN AN LS. CALL ME CRAZY. I'D LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A CONVERSE ENGINEERING KIT BUT THAT GUY FELL OFF THE FAE OF

What is your budget? YOU AND MY WIFE WOULD BOTH LIKE TO KNOW. I WOULD HAVE TO SAY MY VOLVO COST ME $500. I SPENT ABOUT $300 ON IT FOR VARIOUS REASONS. SO MY BUDGET WOULD HAVE TO BE CHALLENGE FRIENDLY, DOESN'T MAKE MUCH SENSE TO ME TO POUR TONS OF MONEY INTO A $500 CAR.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
7/19/16 10:29 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote:
It's not a V8?

I KNOW THERE IS A LOT YOU CAN DO WITH A TURBO BUT ID HAVE MORE FUN WITH A V8.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
7/19/16 10:33 p.m.
Kartoffelbrei wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote:
It's not a V8?
I wasn't objecting his plans, just asking him to clarify what was "messed up" with the engine.

Ahhh, you're on to me. "Messed up" is purposely vague to hide the fact that I don't know what's wrong with it. Which means I probably shouldn't take on a V8 project if I can't diagnose the current problem exactly. I don't know, I'm just an average guy who likes cars, I might just need to say screw it and jump in.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
7/19/16 10:37 p.m.
84FSP wrote: Call Kevin at DTR Performance in Florence - DTRguy@gmail.com. He has a current project doing one of these that has a motor on the stands currently. Just need to get my Rabbit out of his garage so he has space for it

Dude..... you're awesome for sending me this, I just emailed him. Thanks. Exactly what I'm looking for a "speed sensei" lol

84FSP
84FSP Dork
7/20/16 8:17 a.m.

He's a beast of a fabricator. In full discloisure he is a good friend and a one man band. You'll have to work with him on scheduling. He just finished some sweet fab work on a harness bar for El Rabbitto which is really swanky.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/20/16 10:27 a.m.
plance1 wrote:
eastsidemav wrote: I don't have tons of spare time lately,
That's my excuse... wait, I don't have tons of knowledge is my excuse!

Thankfully, I'm okay at wrenching, done a few engine swaps so far. Some of them were even successful.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
7/23/16 2:25 p.m.

Geez, the naysayers over at turbobricks do not like the idea of a novice attempting something like this... I'm starting to think I should do this project, how else am I going to stop being a novice???????

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/16 2:52 p.m.

Makes sense to me. It's not your fault Volvo didn't have the foresight to offer a V8 option. Just think of it like fixing an error made 20 years ago.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
7/23/16 3:07 p.m.

bunch of negative nancy's over there I tell ya.... I see something like this shaping up, GRM vs. Turbobricks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnXh3XR9zyM

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/16 3:13 p.m.

I so wish you were closer. There are a couple of those around here and the 302 looks factory in them. You just need someone to machine the ford logo off the intake and machine up a Volvo logo for it. I would do it to mess with people.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
34GPXUQ8jcDVCoXseaLLXmoUFYJ3JjOhfT8FdMjN7LJmd3hrViAGIo0A4MraFHnv