1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/16/10 11:49 p.m.

There's a fairly clean '79 GLC on CL right now... What can you guys tell me about these things? Looks to be rwd, with a 1.4l engine... What's the suspension like? I assume leaf rear, mcp's up front? Any good parts interchange?Are these like a mazda version of a starlet, or do these have zero performance potential?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 2:23 a.m.

I saw one with a rotary swap a few years back. This isn't it, but it's still a cool photo:

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
12/17/10 6:54 a.m.

Not a leaf spring rear; I think it's a four link solid axle, just like the early RX-7.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/17/10 6:58 a.m.

If any car were begging for a Miata swap, this is it.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/17/10 7:00 a.m.

Yeah, it's a 4 link/coils setup in the rear. Mazda built GLC's off of a modified 808 platform which was derived from the RX2 etc so a lot of stuff interchanges. 808 coupe:

I used an RX2 rear axle housing for the Jensenator to make it simpler to build a rear axle, but some research showed a GLC axle would have worked as well. The biggest difference between 1st gen RX7 and GLC etc is the RX7 had a roughly 4" wider track.

It also makes rotaries an easy swap, along with being able to use a lot of 1st gen RX7 hopup goodies (clutch type limited slip, faster steering box from a GSL-SE, stuff like that).

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
12/17/10 7:31 a.m.

They are a Great Little Car.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
12/17/10 7:32 a.m.

A GLC was my first car. I beat the snot out of it. Haven't seen one in the flesh in decades.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/17/10 8:05 a.m.
Woody wrote: I saw one with a rotary swap a few years back. This isn't it, but it's still a cool photo:

berkeley!

I must have that!

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
12/17/10 8:07 a.m.

Same here. In HS I had a '78 GLC. it was a 1.3 not a 1.4. Not very exciting by a long shot, but it was pretty durable. I did...um...terrible things to that car...including getting it airborne Duke's of Hazard Style! My dad was not pleased! And of course it was bright yellow, getting the nickname "Lemon" at school.

I really don't miss it at all. I sold it to a friend of mine, and the last I saw of it (early '90's) it had over 400k miles on it and was still going strong.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
12/17/10 10:01 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: I did...um...terrible things to that car...including getting it airborne Duke's of Hazard Style! My dad was not pleased! And of course it was bright yellow, getting the nickname "Lemon" at school.

I too played a little duke boys with mine. I used to like to play rally driver on gravel roads.

Mine was a faded black color. It was known as the Mazda-rati. (cue Joe Walsh: "My Mazda-rati goes 85, I lost my license and now I don't drive")

RossD
RossD Dork
12/17/10 10:07 a.m.

The GLC is the first car I remember riding in. My mom bought it new in 79 or 80. It's now buried in a junk hole with a bunch of farm junk. Sad. I've looked for one every once in a while but never find one locally.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 10:10 a.m.

mmmmmm, three speed auto.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/17/10 11:19 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: mmmmmm, three speed auto.

One I'm looking at is not only stick-shift, but has the optional 5-speed.

What's the lug pattern on these things? Will Miata wheels work?

It's only $600... but I know me. $600 turns into $2k real quick as I start getting into it and replacing all the little things wrong with it... and $2k could do some interesting things in my foxbody or Bronco.

I guess I'm just jonesing for some old Japanese tin since letting go of my RA29.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
12/17/10 2:16 p.m.

I am 99.9% sure the bolt pattern on the GLC is the lame 4X110mm used on the RX-7(except GSL-SE in 84-85).

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
12/17/10 2:21 p.m.
Woody wrote:

It's efficient, AND it's efficient!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/17/10 2:41 p.m.

Way back in the day, there was a GLC in the GRM family.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/17/10 3:14 p.m.

Hrm... looks more like I won't be getting this, so here's the link in case this thread has piqued anyone's interest (not mine): CL - '79 GLC

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
12/17/10 5:16 p.m.

In reply to Jensenman:

What you pictured there was an RX-3, not an RX-2. This is an RX-2; in fact, my former ITA car:

fixed

Moparman
Moparman Reader
12/17/10 5:30 p.m.

In reply to Jensenman:

Is it me or does anyone else become aroused by early RX cars?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
12/17/10 7:02 p.m.

A 60° 2.8L GM V6 did not really fit well, no matter how much I cut.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
12/17/10 8:44 p.m.
Moparman wrote: In reply to Jensenman: Is it me or does anyone else become aroused by early RX cars?

Yes. Highly.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/17/10 9:43 p.m.

I heart RX2's and 3's.

I made a goof; 808's and RX3's were real close. They shared a lot of sheet metal but the drive train was completely different (duh).

808 from 'The Price is Right'.

RX3 nose shot, best I could find:

The main difference is the grille emblem.

The RX2's nose was different, but everything behind it looked very similar to the RX3 and 808.

RX2:

RX3, and man do I like this one:

There was also the Mizer, which was an 808 coupe tweaked for better gas mileage. GLC's were everywhere back in the early '80's but they were kinda 'throwaway' cars, they were cheap to buy and run so after the snot was beat out of them they generally went to the boneyard pretty quickly. That's why they are so rare now.

Someone mentioned a Miata swap, oh yes.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
12/18/10 12:28 a.m.

I heart RX-3's as well. Too bad I didn't get to enjoy mine.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/4487/

You are not alone in your lust for early RX cars.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
12/18/10 1:51 a.m.

I'd love an early (RX2/3/4) rotorcar.

As far as taking the original 323 on track, replace the balljoints. Especially if it's your buddy's "homebuilt".

Part failure running through 3B at Charlotte. At least it failed down in the infield instead of up on the banking..I walked away.

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
12/18/10 5:07 a.m.
It was known as the Mazda-rati. (cue Joe Walsh: "My Mazda-rati goes 85, I lost my license and now I don't drive")

groan

Now I'm never gonna hear that song again without thinking of this.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tcqfyF7uqWVeW6IjFVn6Qr4YPXwmVSVWummwMQfq6TbJCN2gdijJLkQQUeYJmMzi