mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
7/14/14 3:02 p.m.

While serving in my role as "The Good Uncle"/ family car guy, Ive been asked to look at two cars for a family member.

Car#1: 1989 nissan sentra http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4567770393.html

or Car #2: 1990 acura intregra http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4560887831.html

Family member is one of my nephews thats trying to get on his feet w/ little to no help from his parents. Car has to be cheap to maintain and insure, somewhat reliable and able to start daily w/o much care. I think both of these cars fit the bill, but I would like to know the trouble spots of both cars. I had a b13 sentra and know of a guy that actively tried to kill his b12 sentra( w/o success ) so I know both can take a beating. Im leaning towards the sentra b/c of the timing chain and low theft rates, but what does the Hive Mind think. At this price point, Im not sure if it matters, but I want to cover as many bases as possible. Do I just look at general car stuff for both?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
7/14/14 3:19 p.m.

+1 on the Sentra

Honda is asking to get stolen or get pulled over b/c you've been profiled. Neither of which would help him stay on his feet.

Mazda Protege / 323 is kinda cool too.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
7/14/14 3:23 p.m.

I would personally go with the Sentra just because there is no chance of the previous owner uttering, "just wait till the V-Tec kicks in bro". Plus, it looks to be in better shape. Looks like a few mismatched panels on the 'Teg too.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
7/14/14 3:25 p.m.

The sentra just looks like someone's Nana used to drive it and then they had a neighbor that "knows computers" post the CL pic. Im waiting for the sentra owner to get back to me and leaving to see the integra now.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/14/14 3:32 p.m.

I'd go Integra in this case.

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
7/14/14 3:53 p.m.

+1 Sentra

For any car under $2000 there may be significant issues. Like missing suspension bushings, electrical whoas, and leaking a lot of fluids.

But bit by bit it can be returned to. Comfy reliable car. Tons of parts at your local you pick it auto recycling yards.

Just focus on the sheet metal, engine, and trans. If they are OK then everything else can be taken care of.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
7/14/14 4:00 p.m.

Integra.

We just got rid of an older Sentra. It was a nightmare. DO NOT WANT.

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
7/14/14 4:00 p.m.

In reply to mrwillie:

Um why not a bicycle or moped and save up for a better car?

A bad unreliable car can result in missing work or being late-getting fired- suuuuucks. Or other bad things.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
7/14/14 4:05 p.m.

Is a "mechanics dream" a strong selling point? No. Integra looks hammered.

Sentra out if those two but I agree with other posters. Another 1K$ and choices could improve dramatically !!

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
7/14/14 7:28 p.m.

I love the second gen Integras. They have that big greenhouse that you just don't see anymore. Problems with the cars are as follows:

1) They have those annoying self-retracting seat belts and no airbags. My kids can't have one. Do as I say, not as I do.

2) The rear brake calipers seize up and warp the rotors. They have the e-brake mechanism built into them and they just fail. Easy and cheap to fix, and hey, at least it's discs all around, right?

3) The igniter in the distributor fails. I have no idea what this even is, but it happened to me twice in different cars--one street, one SCCA ITA.

4) They rust at the back of the rear wheel arch and at the key-lock for the rear hatch.

5) Really? A quarter century old econo-luxury car? You sure?

And the good:

1) Fantastic, rev-happy non-VTEC cars are cheap, classic, and under-appreciated.

2) Super practical with tons of hatch room.

3) Not great, but not hateful on gas.

4) They respond really well to cheap upgrades--a decent set of shocks, some minor bracing, and stainless steel brake lines will make a huge difference. I put a used DC Sport header on one of mine (and left the rest of the exhaust stock) and it made a HUGE difference.

This is one of those cars where I really miss it after years and years. It was really wonderful, but it's time may have passed. A Sentra may be great, but c'mon. Blah.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
7/14/14 10:54 p.m.

thanx for all the info so far. I am worn out right now but will report back with details on the integra. i got a chance to look at it after work today.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
7/14/14 11:02 p.m.

In reply to Advan046: good points as well. around the area that he lives in a decent moped costs as much as these car do. also living in a small town. public transit is non-existant. we did look at the bike option though.

beans
beans Dork
7/14/14 11:10 p.m.

Accord. 90-97.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
7/15/14 12:00 a.m.

I'd go integra, cheap to fix, parts are every where and if you take care of it and make sure the timing belt is changed they will run forever

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
7/15/14 2:41 a.m.

I initially thought Integra since Poop's refuses to die but the one in the ad looks like it's been severely neglected and the Sentra is a 1 owner.

I vote Sentra.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
7/15/14 6:08 a.m.

Ford Ranger.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
7/15/14 1:27 p.m.

Good input from everyone. Thnx. The sentra owner hasnt gotten back to me, and the integra looks worse in person than in the pics. It actually run ok, although it def does have a few maint items that need to be caught up on.

The integra owner was willing to work on the price and actually deliver the car 2hrs away just for the price of gas, so she trusts it to drive that far at least. I'll see where this goes from there. A bigger budget would make things easier, but we're working w/ that we have right now.

Thanks again.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zJNFonnB3m95dwNGPXZ62IqYpK5KPKn8IYX7VHPEBjt1eEGkH13fYpwQpTgDM7SM