1 2
dculberson
dculberson UberDork
7/29/14 1:27 p.m.
OSULemon wrote:
SVreX wrote: Or, maybe you mean, "What cool car can I buy and enjoy driving that might retain it's value or gain a little in 5 years".
That's a more realistic question.

Almost any Porsche 911. You can drive it for a few years and it will be worth as much or more than you paid for it. Maintenance will probably offset the difference, but hey, free sports car.

I'm assuming you skip any that are <10 years old as those will continue to depreciate for a while.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
7/29/14 2:32 p.m.

Potentially the late Pontiacs, maybe the G8 GXP? Seems like they have not really dropped ever since Pontiac went out of business. Also, I would say the M5 and M6 with the V10, since it seems you won't be seeing that engine anymore.

I agree with the previous poster who also pointed out the 90's Japanese sports cars (and ITR, S2000).

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
7/29/14 2:45 p.m.

Whatever happened to just getting a car that you like? No need to have some kind of background thinking about it- get it, drive it, like it.

I certainly didn't buy my Alfa as an investment, or thinking that it will retain value. It has, but the enjoyment has been a lot more.

On the other hand, fixing my Miata, the board has agreed that it's a waste of my time and money- yet, I will do it anyway- because I like the car.

Get what you like, move on.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/29/14 3:07 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Whatever happened to just getting a car that you like? No need to have some kind of background thinking about it- get it, drive it, like it. I certainly didn't buy my Alfa as an investment, or thinking that it will retain value. It has, but the enjoyment has been a lot more. On the other hand, fixing my Miata, the board has agreed that it's a waste of my time and money- yet, I will do it anyway- because I like the car. Get what you like, move on.

I think this is more along the lines of "what cool cars are cheap now but I might not have a chance to buy later". That is always how I take it.

Like AE86 preinitial-d being like $1400 and now being like $8k for a nice one.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/29/14 3:31 p.m.
johndej wrote: in that case, we talked about same thing last year https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-elise-has-hit-the-bottom-of-the-depreciation-c/72743/page1/

Regarding the Elise, I've seen them heading back up at this point. Considering they aren't bringing any more this one is a pretty solid bet, though Lotus doesn't have quite the cache of Porsche. Probably still go up a little since they hit lows of $25k or so.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/29/14 3:35 p.m.
Harvey wrote:
johndej wrote: in that case, we talked about same thing last year https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-elise-has-hit-the-bottom-of-the-depreciation-c/72743/page1/
Regarding the Elise, I've seen them heading back up at this point. Considering they aren't bringing any more this one is a pretty solid bet, though Lotus doesn't have quite the cache of Porsche. Probably still go up a little since they hit lows of $25k or so.

What are Caymans selling for? I see an Elise being around that.

I want to get an Evora on the low end of its curve.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/14 3:42 p.m.

Pontiac G8 GT might be a decent bet. Great car, limited production run, dead brand.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
7/29/14 3:43 p.m.

C3 Corvettes with the urethane front bumpers (chrome bumpers are already heading up). The only issue is that there may be too many still around to really appreciate and I don’t know that there were any real performance versions. They did have a 454 4 speed I think.

Porsche 911 (time for the 964 to get some love)

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
7/29/14 4:00 p.m.

Truthfully, cars are terrible investments. With a few exceptions, you'd be better off investing the same money in something else and getting a better return. But, having a car that you can buy, drive a few years, and sell it for near what you paid is always nice. Most of the time, it's easier to do this when cars are cheap, as in very cheap. Once you climb into mid priced cars, it's a crap shoot and a lot will depend on how much you drive it and what condition it is in when you are done. But if you buy a $2k Miata, chances are it's still worth $2k when you unload it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/29/14 4:13 p.m.

I see clean NA Miatas rising. The 94 and 95s especially. Classic NA looks with the 1.8 and the Torsen. Many states no longer test pre 95/pre OBDI, so those 2 years are the sweat spots.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/29/14 7:31 p.m.

There are a lot of good possibilities out there. I think the early boxsters are bottomed out. So have the 996 911's. the rest of the 911's are already there.

ITR, NSX, S2000, SW20, E36 M3, and the early miatas are all safe bets not to lose too much money on.

I play the bottom of the depreciation scale a lot with my toy cars. I'm looking to replace the SW20 with something different here soon. I'm leaning to the early boxsters right now.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
7/29/14 7:50 p.m.
Harvey wrote:

Elise was going to be my suggestion as well. The local dealer used to have used ones on the lot for $25-30K all the time. I haven't seen one of those in years. Now they're usually in the mid-30's and sell within a couple of weeks. They recently got an '06 in a rare color (weird, light metallic green?) and very low mikes - about 6K. Asking price: $40K.

sanman
sanman Reader
7/29/14 9:01 p.m.

I also agree with the 90's Japanese cars idea. I think any 5.0 mustangs from the 90's, ap1 s2000, E36 m3. I don't think it is about not buying a car you like. I always wanted an SW20 and now seemed like a great time to buy one. It is getting hard to find a clean one and I stand a chance of getting back some of the money I put into fixing it up most likely.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
7/29/14 9:11 p.m.

If you have $6k and a time machine, go buy a brand-new hemi 'cuda convertible.

sanman
sanman Reader
7/29/14 9:30 p.m.

Or get $65K more and buy a hellcat challenger

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/29/14 10:06 p.m.

My vote is for '86-'88 Monte Carlo SS.
These are old but not real old. They do however continue the trend of 70's Muscle cars which are increasing in price quickly.

Tahoe
Tahoe Reader
7/29/14 10:39 p.m.

I'll throw in the SLK32 AMG. Just bought one and they are I believe at the bottom of there value right now. 4333 made world wide, 2000+ in the USA, 4.8 0-60, 13 sec 1/4 mile, 155 top speed (ECU limited), etc. Not a hard core sports car, but a great GT car that kicks ass.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
7/29/14 11:58 p.m.

NA Miatas- will go up in the future. I'm pretty sure of this. They'll follow the same fate as E30s, some will return to the earth, some will be tracked and crashed, and few clean 5-speeds will remain and people will consider buying clean autos to do a swap.

E36 M3s have been holding steady for a while and are likely to suffer a similar fate.

Evo-8/9s

These may not depreciate but I doubt they'd appreciate significantly ....mazdaspeed6, 6-speed 06-07 TSX, and E46 330i ZHP.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
7/30/14 1:58 a.m.
sanman wrote: Or get $65K more and buy a hellcat challenger
  • 20K for the dealer premium. '

For me anything mid engine, maintainable and in a manual will go up.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/14 6:23 a.m.

I'd like to say e28 M5's just because but I do think they have been ignored due to the popularity of the e30 M3 and later M5's. The potential is there. I've seen 1st and 2nd generation rx-7's skyrocket within the last year. So goes my hopes of a cheap rotary to play around with since they are disappearing due to age on top of that.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
7/30/14 9:26 a.m.

I want to think that the E34 M5 and the Pontiac Fiero GT can start creeping up in value since they're old enough and good enough to have people start hunting for them.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
7/30/14 11:13 a.m.

look for nostalgia...

If I were to guess.......

Sky/Solstice

SOME fox bodied Mustangs/Capris (ASC McLaren Capri... SVO for 2 examples)

The last of the rwd Impalas (Merc Maurader do to its limited production)

OR

find something no one wants... and build it so that other desire it.......

that way it truly is one of a kind...

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/30/14 2:08 p.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Celica-All-Trac-Hatchback-2-Door-1992-Toyota-Celica-All-Trac-Turbo-Hatchback-2-Door-2-0L-/161379188963?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2592f300e3&item=161379188963&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Apparently I was right about Celica Alltracs, $15k?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bk4UnQAMD8DXYmeP9H5FLhPDDBdiX1J9Pj7yl2DDHzFM2EWmVHF6tuXX4kpz65I1