1 2 3 4
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/4/19 7:52 a.m.

It's an oft-heard phrase: "It's as American as X!" 'X' can be anything, but usually we see apple pie, baseball, or wearing socks with flip-flops or sandals in place of 'X'. (Seriously though, stop it with the socks and flip-flop/sandal nonsense.)

So, just a topical discussion: Which car/truck/van do you consider to be the quintessential American car? No, we're not …

Read the rest of the story

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/19 7:56 a.m.

1957 chevy

/thread there is no other correct answer don’t even try

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/4/19 7:59 a.m.
Patrick said:

1957 chevy

/thread there is no other correct answer don’t even try

Do not sell me any more cars

You mean Nomad. It's OK. cheeky

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/4/19 8:00 a.m.

Probably the pick-up truck.  It does seem like the vehicle that the US fascination with confuses the rest of the world the most, save maybe Australia.  

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/4/19 8:14 a.m.

Claiming the Elco for this while the Australians argue about it seems pretty American.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/4/19 8:23 a.m.

No question in my mind.

Mustang.

Also, Pick up truck.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/4/19 8:26 a.m.

Actually if we talk about cars we did that don't work anywhere else and probably nobody else has done.

Full size convertibles.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/4/19 8:31 a.m.

Ford Model T

Coupe, Station wagon, Truck, Race car, Hot Rod, depression-era #vanlife.  It did it all, and no car around today would be here without it.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/19 8:33 a.m.

Saturn SL.  When they were being made, they were the vehicles produced with the highest US-made content.  Only the A/C compressor was made overseas.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/4/19 8:41 a.m.

a brash vehicle designed for marketing of meat compounds packed full of nitrites, salt and preservatives that's shaped like a phallus.

All other suggestions are way off the mark, you're not pulling horse off the grill on the 4th, so it's not a mustang. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/4/19 8:41 a.m.

I really like that Pontiac Safari wagon in the first picture.  smiley

Knurled.
7/4/19 8:47 a.m.
captdownshift said:

a brash vehicle designed for marketing of meat compounds packed full of nitrites, salt and preservatives that's shaped like a phallus.

All other suggestions are way off the mark, you're not pulling horse off the grill on the 4th, so it's not a mustang. 

The only thing I am pulling off the grill is Elijah Craig, distilled as it has been by Kentucky rednecks (in the original, respectful sense of the term) since 1789.

Bourbon is the only true American contribution to spirits or really the epicurean world at large.  Everything else is borrowed from somewhere else.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/4/19 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

This Kentucky redneck approves this message.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/4/19 8:54 a.m.

Probably the Model T.  But... the 1959 Cadillac toots a pretty big horn.

Related image

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/4/19 8:57 a.m.

This movie summarizes it all........

American Graffiti Race

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/4/19 9:02 a.m.

Ain't nothin' screams 'Merica like a good ol' 3rd gen Camaro (which by the way I lusted after as a teen).

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/4/19 9:10 a.m.

6000SUX

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
7/4/19 9:13 a.m.
wheelsmithy said:

No question in my mind.

Mustang.

Also, Pick up truck.

This.   And the ElCo posted by Daylan C was bitchin.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/4/19 9:14 a.m.

Corvette

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/4/19 9:17 a.m.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/19 9:19 a.m.

American Motors in red white and blue. Javelin, AMX, Rebel Machine, SC/Rambler, etc.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/4/19 9:19 a.m.

3/4 or 1 ton dually crew cab Dad Edition with all the leather niceties. That just simply doesn't exist in other countries.

Knurled.
7/4/19 9:23 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

3/4 or 1 ton dually crew cab Dad Edition with all the leather niceties. That just simply doesn't exist in other countries.

The dream vehicle of the typical timid American who is afraid of thw world and needs 8000lb of steel to protect them from the scariness outside, while still projecting an image of being a tough individual, despite that image being mass-marketed to them.

GROW A PAIR, SCRAP YOUR TRUCK.

What a real tough American looks like:

Driving a four wheeled motorcycle in the winter with no top and no farks given to the plebes in their cocoonmobiles ready to kill him with their utter indifference to the world around them.  That's berking bravery and can-do and I salute him.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
7/4/19 9:48 a.m.

Pretty much any F-body - but a 2nd gen T/A is very USA

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/4/19 10:03 a.m.

I submit that the most American car isn't a car at all...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yxX0OXLdIuS645nS0umybrvV9Z4C4xCmJKUwNJtfT7lgI6m54N2AmwM82XS4cejl