1 2
PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
3/8/17 10:47 a.m.

I'm not sure which of our current vehicles this will replace (2011 Outback or 2015 Accord), but here's what we need it to do:

*Tow a boat (3,500 lbs boat and trailer, plus around 500 lbs of stuff) including highway trips

*Have a third row that's reasonably convenient to use--we have a 4 and 6 year old, so this is for play dates, not every day

*$25k budget

*Reliable (duh)

Options I plan to check out: Full size Lexus SUV's, Passport, 4Runner, Flex, Explorer, Yukon/Tahoe, Highlander, Acadia

I think an SUV is the way to go, as we don't need a pickup (have a utility trailer), and 4 or all wheel drive would be nice for boat ramps and Midwest winter driving. What else should I consider? Should I nix any of the options above?

java230
java230 SuperDork
3/8/17 10:50 a.m.

Lexus and 4runner will share the same chassis (more or less depending on model, some lexus will share with the landcruiser).

I have a 2003 4runner, Love the truck, would effeminately recommend it. For towing that much get the v8 (lexus all get the v8 std)

MattGent
MattGent Reader
3/8/17 11:58 a.m.

I did exactly that with a Pilot for 10yrs and 200k. Fwd with tow package, had a few boats but most were a little lighter than that.

The rear springs are a little soft, it will squat. The ones you listed will all tow a little better.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/8/17 12:00 p.m.

Ecoboost Flex.

Or perhaps a Lincoln MKT- they never sold well, and are the same vehicle as the flex- could pick one up cheap.

Do note, this is a more biased recommendation than normal.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/8/17 12:02 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Ecoboost Flex. Or perhaps a Lincoln MKT- they never sold well, and are the same vehicle as the flex- could pick one up cheap. Do note, this is a more biased recommendation than normal.

Something like this https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/6004762140.html

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
3/8/17 12:13 p.m.

Suburban. They're berkeleying awesome, just accept the size and realize that they are the gold standard in three row SUVs for a reason.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/17 12:22 p.m.

05 to 2012 Nissan Pathfinder (last model before the cvt transmission). Exactly why we have ours.... With a pair of Airlift bags in the rear coils we haul our 3500lb boat and trailer without worry.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/8/17 12:37 p.m.
java230 wrote: Lexus and 4runner will share the same chassis (more or less depending on model, some lexus will share with the landcruiser). I have a 2003 4runner, Love the truck, would effeminately recommend it.

Are we having a gender identity crisis today?

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/8/17 12:41 p.m.

I have a 91 Suburban that will let go for 600 bucks, It runs but has a lot of miles. Throw an LS in it and go!

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
3/8/17 1:07 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Suburban. They're berkeleying awesome, just accept the size and realize that they are the gold standard in three row SUVs for a reason.

Just avoid the displacement on demand engines.

java230
java230 SuperDork
3/8/17 1:22 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
java230 wrote: Lexus and 4runner will share the same chassis (more or less depending on model, some lexus will share with the landcruiser). I have a 2003 4runner, Love the truck, would effeminately recommend it.
Are we having a gender identity crisis today?

god damn auto correct.... LOL

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
3/8/17 2:06 p.m.

Hopefully, new Highlanders have a bigger third row than my first gen had. I wouldn't want to put anyone in the third row at all, even for a short ride.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
3/8/17 2:08 p.m.

I'm going to ignore your budget and say Durango SRT

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
3/8/17 2:21 p.m.

Here is what we chose:

My wife uses it as her winter DD. Will haul 5k lbs with a WD hitch. I have had about 3.5K on it (VW golf with dolly) and it ran along just fine.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
3/8/17 3:35 p.m.

A $5000 Volvo 745 with $20,000 worth of upgrades!

tripp
tripp Reader
3/8/17 8:02 p.m.

I would highly recommend a suburban/yukon. I have a 2000 yukon that I plan to use for towing and the third row offers tons of space. Fuel mileage not so much but otherwise great vehicle.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
3/8/17 8:19 p.m.

Not sure why you all GM and everything. Expedition is overkill, but as Mick Jagger always says, "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/8/17 8:22 p.m.
Grizz wrote: I'm going to ignore your budget and say Durango SRT

The new "answer"

klb67
klb67 Reader
3/9/17 9:49 a.m.

I had roughly your same needs, with a strong need to buy new/very low miles given 25K miles a year, and ended up with a new 2015 Ford Explorer limited (to get dark leather) that is often my wife's DD. We shopped all domestic and several foreign options. I probably should have looked a bit harder at the Honda Pilot, that's my only regret. The Explorer DD's very well and is the right size most of the time. I'm comfortable in the 3rd row at 5'11" - I was not comfortable in the 3rd row in many other SUV options, including the Yukon. We rejected the Yukon pretty quickly based on price, third row and really lack of extra interior space despite the large exterior over other options. We use the roof rack for the canoe and it's fairly easy to load and accessible with the Explorer- bigger SUVs would make it more challenging. Fully loaded up I occasionally wish we shopped the sport for a bit more power on on ramps, etc. but that's a small nit. It does well towing my 17' aluminum v hull w 70 HP evinrude with gear in it, and a canoe on top 8+ hours for our annual vacation. If we need the 3rd row, usually my 8.5 year old rides back there. As for reliability, I'm still on factory tires at 55K miles and have only needed oil changes, with perhaps one recall for something I can't remember.

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
3/9/17 2:21 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. My vehicle history includes a '98 Yukon and an '02 Suburban--I like driving a full size truck, but both of mine had more stuff break than I expected. In the $20-25k price range I'm looking at SubYukHoe with 80k+ and no newer than 2010. I think these will have the DOD, is that right? I can get into a 4Runner or Pilot that is similar or lower mileage, and a couple years newer at that price, and expect lower ownership cost, I think... But--as was mentioned above, the SubYukHoe is the right tool for towing. But this vehicle will have the boat behind it for maybe 1k miles a year, and the rest of the time will be taking kids to dance etc.

Exploders can be found with under 50k miles with nice options in my price range, but tow ratings I'm finding indicate only 2k lbs, is there a way to option it to get the 5k rating?

I think the Pilot is in the lead here, but I haven't driven anything yet.

jh36
jh36 New Reader
3/9/17 2:42 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

X2 on the Suburban. I've had one on hand for nearly 25 years. My '01, bought new, has 315k on it and is perfect for all your needs. And it shrinks around you when you start rolling. At least, compared to the 7.3 crew cab dually f350 it does.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
3/9/17 4:00 p.m.

I'll be listing our 08 GX470 soon. Just have not gotten pics. It hauled the hell out of a ESP prepped 06 Mustang on a metal bed trailer to nats the other year.

klb67
klb67 Reader
3/9/17 4:28 p.m.

The 2015 Explorer has 5000 lb tow rating with the V6 and proper hitch. Something to think about is the vastly improved fit finish handling amenities and possibly fuel economy between a mid 2000 vehicle and a 2015 vehicle. My 2015 Explorer does nearly everything better than my 2007 Ford Explorer did except perhaps the limitations with 20 inch wheels and road tires in more serious off-road situations, but I didn't buy it for serious off-road situations - just occasional dirt and gravel.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
3/9/17 10:00 p.m.
PeterAK wrote: Thanks for the feedback so far guys. My vehicle history includes a '98 Yukon and an '02 Suburban--I like driving a full size truck, but both of mine had more stuff break than I expected. In the $20-25k price range I'm looking at SubYukHoe with 80k+ and no newer than 2010. I think these will have the DOD, is that right? I can get into a 4Runner or Pilot that is similar or lower mileage, and a couple years newer at that price, and expect lower ownership cost, I think... But--as was mentioned above, the SubYukHoe is the right tool for towing. But this vehicle will have the boat behind it for maybe 1k miles a year, and the rest of the time will be taking kids to dance etc. Exploders can be found with under 50k miles with nice options in my price range, but tow ratings I'm finding indicate only 2k lbs, is there a way to option it to get the 5k rating? I think the Pilot is in the lead here, but I haven't driven anything yet.

There is a factory tow package that bumps it to 5K lbs. It includes hitch, wiring, oil cooler, tow/haul button in the interior and a duct that pushes air toward the trans. Look for Explorer's with a rectangular notch in the front spoiler.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/9/17 10:19 p.m.
jh36 wrote: In reply to KyAllroad: X2 on the Suburban. I've had one on hand for nearly 25 years. My '01, bought new, has 315k on it and is perfect for all your needs. And it shrinks around you when you start rolling. At least, compared to the 7.3 crew cab dually f350 it does.

As a counterpoint, I will point out that, comparing year-to-year, an Expedition EL is generally cheaper than a Suburban. The tow rating is higher, it rides and handles better due to IRS, it has a lower rear load floor thanks to the same IRS, both the second and third rows fold flat without needing to be removed, and the 5.4L doesn't have the AFM issues that the LS motors in the Suburbans do. Though, depending on the year, you might have fun getting the spark plugs out. And from 2015-up, they have the 3.5L Ecoboost and it's wonderful mountain of torque.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WdHOIk15JmkBBJPRfmB5N4Q4S4Bsm10bVgB5hUkAkNoPSlC2ojaTo4iRomNPIOJs