NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/12/19 12:25 p.m.

Hello hive, 

My '11 KIA sorento dash light up with, abs, traction control and hill control lights and I'm trying to figure out what it is.

From the Googles it seems to be an abs sensor. 

Taking it to autozone they can only read engine codes. Therefore can't pin point exactly which or if so. Probably same as my 327 dongle and torque app.

Is there a cheap enough code reader that can read engine, body and other codes? That will work on the kia, maybe the VW and most other. 

The other option is buy them at rock auto and replacing until it does not light up, which only does it intermittently. The sensors start at $25.

I hit a cooler on the road and I think that maybe how it started, so would start with that corner. 

Thanks for your input. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/19 12:27 p.m.

Those aren't standardized codes. I can pull that sort of info from Mazdas and Fords using a free program called "Forscan" and a standard PC OBD-II interface. For my BMW, I use a specialized Peake reader. I don't know if there's an equivalent for Kia.

If you hit a cooler, then I'd start by simply looking for broken wires.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/12/19 12:29 p.m.

I saved this old GRM thread about same/similar in my watchlist but I never acted on it. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/12/19 12:47 p.m.

I did just buy the BlueDriver but I won't be able to use it in anger until at least next month - bills=work/drive until I get told not to.

I'll try to keep up with this thread especially now as I just created a bookmarks page for GRM threads as no-one seems to want to help me recover the ability to do it in the forum. wink

My first glance at the Versa was above my head initially but I'll get back to it or move on to the SVT.  

morello159
morello159 Reader
9/12/19 1:00 p.m.

Snap-on makes a code reader with a bunch of definitions in it, but it's a bazillion dollars. 

Best option might be to pay the diagnostic fee at Kia and have them tell you exactly what to replace...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/12/19 1:15 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

How to Watchlist

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
9/12/19 1:29 p.m.

Sounds very likely that it could be a speed sensor. I'd start by looking for physical damage and then check them with a multimeter according to the factory service manual. 

As for code readers I can't recommend anything specific to KIA and the professional level scanners that can read ABS, SRS, etc. for all models seem pricey. Is there a KIA specific software recommended on the forums that you can use with a cheap interface cable? 

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
9/12/19 2:28 p.m.

I have an Autel Code reader that does Engine, Trans, ABS, etc. and I think it was only around $110 CAD. Sure to be cheaper than that in the U.S.

I've used it and been quite happy with it. It's at home right now, so I can't recall the model #.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/12/19 2:47 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I tried searching for that thread but no luck. 

Thanks

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/12/19 2:56 p.m.

In reply to NGTD :

Thanks,  I'll look around

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/12/19 3:47 p.m.

In reply to morello159 :

I'm trying to avoid paying the diagnostic fee, as it may be $150-200.

The four sensors at Rock auto are about $100 total. 

Don't like just throwing parts at it but may have to.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/12/19 3:51 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Those aren't standardized codes. I can pull that sort of info from Mazdas and Fords using a free program called "Forscan" and a standard PC OBD-II interface. For my BMW, I use a specialized Peake reader. I don't know if there's an equivalent for Kia.

If you hit a cooler, then I'd start by simply looking for broken wires.

Looked a bit but didn't see anything. 

Btw it must have been a yeti or similar as it lost the top but the box still held up. And it launched me in the air on one side. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/12/19 3:52 p.m.
enginenerd said:

Sounds very likely that it could be a speed sensor. I'd start by looking for physical damage and then check them with a multimeter according to the factory service manual. 

As for code readers I can't recommend anything specific to KIA and the professional level scanners that can read ABS, SRS, etc. for all models seem pricey. Is there a KIA specific software recommended on the forums that you can use with a cheap interface cable? 

That's what I'll probably do, plus I can compare right to left to see differences. 

They don't seem hard to r & r.

The lights are mostly off but come on randomly some days. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/12/19 3:59 p.m.

In reply to NGTD :

Autel code readers

I'll look through, Amazon has some of them. 

Thanks

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/12/19 5:31 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to nutherjrfan :

How to Watchlist

yay they're back thank you!  and I watched the one above!  Now to go look for some inspiration - Winter is coming!  As in no more sunny days outside.

yah know what I think it has something to do with me coming in from the Classic motorsports page.  blush

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7xxZaSrY5DWw6zrI0mHLu6gXnfZeRVLBMWGcQXpSpgdLedzJCgomWbrIwgRV57q8