Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
10/17/16 1:05 p.m.
feature_image

We feared that jumping our Focus at its last rallycross had damaged something that wasn’t as easy to spot as a broken tie rod, so we stopped by The Body Werks, our local body shop, to get more information. We begged a printout of our Focus’s factory frame measurements–the same list a technician would refer to when inspecting a crashed …

Read the rest of the story

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
10/17/16 1:16 p.m.

softer Loooonger spring.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/17/16 1:38 p.m.

When you see hoof prints, don't look for Zebras.

Check the alignment first

outasite
outasite Reader
10/17/16 9:05 p.m.

I aligned my dirt track race car weekly.

engiekev
engiekev New Reader
10/18/16 10:06 a.m.

Curious what the benefits of the hub stands are for setting alignment, other than easier access?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
10/18/16 10:30 a.m.
engiekev wrote: Curious what the benefits of the hub stands are for setting alignment, other than easier access?

Aside from easier access, they allow the suspension to settle into its resting position without having to push the car back and forth after every adjustment. Plus, they already have alignment marks, which makes it way easier.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
10/20/16 8:25 p.m.

Have you guys ever done a writeup on doing home alignments?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/16 8:30 p.m.

You bent your uprights or you pinched your struts.

A friend rallied a Spec Focus for a while and I seem to recall that uprights and struts were regular maintenance/failure items. Up here, on the street, bent struts are extremely common, they give right where they meet the upright.

The fix is, don't jump a car with stock suspension! Leave that for the cars with multi-thousand dollar billet uprights and 60mm inverted struts...

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/19/17 12:42 p.m.

What's the status of this rig?

Any chance we'll see it/GRM at the East Coast Rallycross National Challenge in VA in July??

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iXX18Sx8WdKT6PbijitJwLrTVvIkrozyJ2HJDz8sTOnk2T4ejVGU7Eqq01U7cNSS