1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 44
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/2/14 7:29 a.m.

Just about to go get the last (maybe) of the electrical stuff for the garage. I suppose the upside of planning things out in advance is that you know what you need before you start. The upside of doing it my way is.......I don't have to spend all that time planning?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/14 8:39 a.m.

Taking down six bigass trees.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/2/14 9:23 a.m.

I cleaned all the chips out of the nooks and crannies on the lathe, the table, the floor and surrounding area from making a shifter, solid subframe bushings and a few other things.

Note to self... clean up after every job or you will spend an entire holiday cleaning up after a few of them.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/2/14 9:38 a.m.

spent the weekend doing a cam swap in the big mullet. not quite done yet.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
9/2/14 9:47 a.m.

Did a little clean up at the new house. Some people should not be trusted with houses.

Woody
9/2/14 11:52 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Meth lab?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/2/14 11:55 a.m.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
9/2/14 12:47 p.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to DuctTape&Bondo: What type of poly do you use for that kind of thing?

Interwebs suggest polyurethane glue at LowesDepot for ~$5 or 3m WindowWeld for ~$15 at FLAPS.

This weekend saw me cutting down a tree that we already cut down a year prior. Tearing down a barely standing termite and rotted fence, trimming trees and warding off hordes of spiders followed by using 2 different augers to dig post holes in clay and then install a new fence.

Took my MX6 to smog, failed spectacularly (nox). Advised to check EGR, timing and vacuum.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
9/2/14 12:58 p.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to dculberson: Meth lab?

Dog poop. Fortunately outside, but right next to the back doors into the house. Mostly bagged. We estimated over 1,000 pounds of it. The gas mask was to deal with the smell. Worked great.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/8/14 10:34 a.m.

This picture will look trivial, but really, installing the oil cooler was the last mechanical thing (except for window issues) that I needed to do on this car. After I decided to undertake a major overhaul of suspension bushings, coilovers, coolant and oil cooling systems, and interior gutting into a track car, this was a great step for me. I'd been putting it off because it's a royal pain in the ass working in there, getting solid welds inside through the kidney openings, and cutting my hands on super sharp sheet metal.

It's done now though. Leak tests passed, everything's plugged and operable, and I'm just waiting for the battery to trickle charge and she's ready to go to the alignment shop.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
9/8/14 10:48 a.m.

Worked on put tie rods on Malibu so it can roll. Breaks on sentra challenge car. Dropped engine into old race truck (last years challenge car) I am going to rally cross it. and started packing for the move.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
9/8/14 10:51 a.m.

Finally pulled the pistons and rods out of the SR20 I had sitting in my garage that had 10-30 psi compression in cylinders 2-4 (180 psi in Cylinder 1). Stuck and worn rings were the culprit, rod bearings didn't look too bad though, some light scratches on the rod bearings for cylinders 2 and 3, crankshaft journal surfaces look great. Since there is no ridge in the block i'm going to hone the cylinders, clean the pistons and throw in new rings and rod bearings. End play measurement is still within spec so I think I'm going to leave the crankshaft and main bearings alone. Still on the fence about a conversion to a manual transmission on this car, as it will probably end up a work beater and parts chasing toy, not sure if I want to do the extra work. Of course, it's torn down now and the interior is gutted except for the upper dash so if I'm going to do it now is the time.

Woody
9/8/14 10:55 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
Dog poop. Fortunately outside, but right next to the back doors into the house. Mostly bagged. We estimated over 1,000 pounds of it. The gas mask was to deal with the smell. Worked great.

We took a woman out of a place that was like that, except the dog poop was in the house, not the garage. Probably not a thousand pounds, but enough to make an impression.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
9/8/14 11:32 a.m.
Woody wrote:
dculberson wrote:
We took a woman out of a place that was like that, except the dog poop was in the house, not the garage. Probably not a thousand pounds, but enough to make an impression.

Yuck. It was bad enough working with it outside and in protective gear. My sympathies are with you. It would have been horrible inside.

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/8/14 11:43 a.m.

Welded up a water/meth tank for the car, in the garage, with the door closed, in a sweatshirt, on the hottest and most humid day of the year. Did lose about 20 lbs though...

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
9/8/14 12:18 p.m.

Reinstalled stock rear sway bar into IS300 with new endlinks. Checked parking brake and adjusted it hoping to fix the ebrake light coming on when it's not up. Didn't do the trick, interwebs suggest low brake fluid, will check tonight.

Checked brakes on my sister's tC. Wow. Pad completely worn, gonna need new rotors.

Put the core support on the Integra and radiator+fans. New valve cover gasket and topped up coolant and ps fluid. Won't start. Battery weak and low gas. Charged battery and added gas, cranks but still no start. Called it a day and went to play catch with my son instead.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
9/8/14 9:54 p.m.

Been imagining this project for a couple months. Still need a few more plates. 1990 Mississippi and a 70's Indiana.

photo 772B1B58-2F7F-4385-AD7B-A7CB2373FD36_zpslhq6fxxa.jpg

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast HalfDork
9/19/14 3:06 a.m.

Brought home a winter beater last Friday. $300, fwd, auto, one family, Socal car, 243k on the clock. Sophie the Slaughterer.

Started with the gross headlights.

Which were scuffed up with some red scotchbrite, cleaned, then shot in rattle can clear.

That process was then repeated on the turn signals.

...and then I cleaned up and sprayed the grill in some semi-gloss black. No pictures of that, apparently. Front end is MUCH happier looking now.

Woody
9/24/14 9:20 p.m.

photo iPhone09-24-2014188_zpsa88269b9.jpg

photo iPhone09-24-2014221_zps1ba7d6e4.jpg

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/24/14 9:48 p.m.

I finished building my subwoofer boxes.

http://vid162.photobucket.com/albums/t264/curtis73/Mobile%20Uploads/20140924_164730_zps3mthqae9.mp4

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/25/14 9:19 p.m.

So if it's on the internet its true?

I decided to to change the turbo on the Yugo, to match the gearing in the newest transmission. On line it is said that the K03 and K04 turbos are direct swaps. Does this look like a direct replacement?

So now I have to make it fit. No cool tools just a drill press.

The only thing that the two have in common is that they are turbos from the same manufacturer. Its like saying a wheel off a ford dually is the same as one on a Towncar. I'm up to the challenge of making it fit.

It only took me two days to do that half.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/14 5:26 a.m.

Tried not to look at it when I went to the garage for more charcoal.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/26/14 6:19 a.m.

Washed half the hood of the new to me corolla. Yes half the hood. Photos to explain posted in a bit

dean1484
9/26/14 11:28 a.m.

Ok this may explain things a bit better. The car sat for almost 3 years and the black stuff is pine pollen that sat and when it does that it turns in to this black tar like stuff. AND you can not use anything abrasive as it will ruin the clear coat. So far I have not found any kind of detergent that seems to help. I think bleach would probably work but I am afrade of what it would to to the rubber bits. It just seems to be a case of keeping it wet and using a clean cotton towel and a large kitchen sponge and elbow grease.

This is my current "Wheeler Dealers America" but I think my wife has been eyeing it. You know like when we were going out the other night and she is looking at the hood and sais "you know I could use this to pick up the kids from school". Didn't I just get her an H2? I may be selling one of the other cars in the fleet if she keeps hinting that this is a good car for her.

dean1484
9/26/14 11:42 a.m.

Ohya and I installed new power coated stainless steel running boards on this beast. Some people have implied to me that I am compensating for something. .. . . I reply no. I really need it so I can carry around my "junk" Some get it some don't.

I discovered that the electronic level app thing in my windows phone was a huge help in getting these installed properly. Since the driveway is not level I set the phone on the rear bumper and zeroed out the level then use it to "level" the running boards. Worked really well!!!!

1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I0NjK7nEu019k3zPNybkMEuYeREyruGjfnJtoXTKyZ0ffoo1y2EGM0A6m3jOuIbT