1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 44
Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/30/14 9:51 a.m.

Removed the intake and fuel filter canister from the 6.5TD in the Suburban. Replaced the gaskets, fuel lines, fuel filter. Replaced the coolant crossover gaskets and installed a new OE thermostat. Troubleshot the fuel pressure issue that I thought it had developed lately. Lift pump wasn't running. Time for another oil pressure switch and to add a relay to take the load off of it.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/14 9:58 a.m.

In reply to VWguyBruce:

Stop working on other projects and finish your car. You have a long drive ahead of you.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/14 10:14 a.m.

I added three point seat belts to the back seat of the '87 911.

The job itself was simple, but it took about four years of (sporadic) searching to find a pair of donor belt assemblies, and five years to find a color matched rear package shelf with shoulder belt cutouts from an '88 coupe.

There is now a very happy six year old at home.

photo 023_zps6e4eba8c.jpg

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/30/14 10:16 a.m.

Fixed some more wiring berkeleyery on the red miata.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
9/30/14 10:57 a.m.

The 850 needs a new starter, I've put it off for 2 months now, this is mostly why.

Since I had the intake manifold off, I got a serious case of "while I'm at it," and replaced the front hydraulic engine mount, removed, cleaned, and replaced PCV parts. Reinstalled PCV parts with high temp silicone, a leaky deformed nipple between the oil trap and block is responsible for all of that oil grime you see on the block.

The A/C compressor clutch often isn't fully engaging too. I can get to the back of the compressor a lot easier with the manifold off, so there's likely to be more "wile I'm at it" to come. The current internal debate is, do I try and remove clutch and replace with the clutch from a used unknown mileage junk yard sourced compressor? Do I even try a clutch swap with the compressor in the car? If I'm going to evacuate the refrigerant and pull the compressor, why mess with the clutch swap, when I've got another complete compressor? If I do pull the clutch should I just shim it instead of replacing it with another clutch that potentially has the same issue? I've had a new orifice tube, accumulator, and the used compressor waiting for this moment for over a year now. I guess the time to do something is now.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
9/30/14 10:06 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: In reply to VWguyBruce: Stop working on other projects and finish your car. You have a long drive ahead of you.

Work is commencing and materials are accumulating.

Ian F wrote: In reply to VWguyBruce: Any update after the "sweep and characterization"? I'd be interested in PDF plans.

Unfortunately, we've been having to work at work so far this week. Ill post results when we get them. Boss said I could set up the test as practical training, maybe Friday.

Here's the instructable we pulled the images from. The one thing I asked my neighbor to do was to scan pages into a PDF on my scanner he is borrowing. So far, nothing.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Large-DB8-HDTV-Antenna-Big-Bertha/step1/Plans-and-measurements/

Here's a video of an antenna build, same style minus the reflector. Ill verify whether there's an actual gain from the reflector after the test. There are a bunch of good designs out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlShMxSCZJ0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/4/14 7:58 a.m.

Bought 3 brand new carbs off ebay for ct 110s 21 bux apiece getting them fired up for challenge paddock cruisin

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/4/14 1:16 p.m.

stag getsw datsun wides dirty girl car show tonight

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
10/4/14 3:16 p.m.

Not enough. Got the firewall mostly insulated and sound deadened. Some parts cleaned and painted. Figured out heater hoses. Still need to get it all put back together when I get off covering a shift.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/4/14 4:52 p.m.

New windshield in to the 924s.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
10/4/14 5:19 p.m.

Loaded up the Meotter for the autocross tomorrow.
Last of the season before the fall/early winter 'Slush Series'

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/4/14 8:49 p.m.

I drove 11 hours round trip to sell a seat to AussieMG, and buy a transmission for the 948.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/15 9:37 a.m.

Had a very productive weekend and knocked a bunch of projects off the list. Got the GS430 into the shop to install the new pads and rotors (all 4 corners) and did an oil/filter change while she was up on jack stands. Saw that the RF tie rod end was whipped so bought two new ones on my iphone from Advance Auto and installed them as well. Tried to get the Bank 2 #1 O2 sensor out but the angle and my hands weren't playing so a buddy stopped by and got it out after much cursing. Cleared code and now no more check engine light! Score! Now I just need to find the 8 or so free hours to disassemble both front doors (~4 hours per side), tear the door actuators apart and install the new $5 servos to fix the electric door locks. Job looks like a total PITA. Think I'll polish the headlamps first.

In between working on the Lexus I drove my wife all over creation for a 3 day distance regatta she was sailing in (Start in Tampa, pick up in Bradenton, etc.), picked up a nice mid-century modern dresser off CL and got to spend time with another GRM'r in his shop in Bradenton and brought home some free 13" slick takeoffs he grabbed at a dumpster in his warehouse complex. Throw in some of THE BEST mexican food I've ever had and being able to keep my eyes open long enough to watch some Mad Men and it was one full weekend. Happy to be at the office so I can get some rest!

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
4/13/15 9:55 a.m.

Removed the sunroof "cassette" frame from the E30 this weekend and then took the seats back out to wire wheel and respray the floor. I'm sure it sounds silly but I'll feel better when the interior is all one color!

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
4/13/15 10:00 a.m.

Looked at it for a few minutes then stacked some E36 M3 on top of it. (The Scoob.)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
4/13/15 10:26 a.m.

Got mine put back together again. Tedt ddrive yesterday, drove it to work this morning. Got to fix steering wheel, seatbelts, put tie down hooks in the bed, and adjust headlights. And install radio antenna after work.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
4/13/15 12:41 p.m.

Recently paid the registration and title transfer fee on the MX6 to light a fire under my butt to get that thing road legal. Cost me almost half the price of the car since I let it sit so long

Recently threw in a new driver side motor mount and o2 sensor.
Cleaned and installed a replacement IAC from a donor throttle body and while I was in there also swapped the TPS and throttle closed switch (whatever it's called).
Soldered it up yesterday and now the wiring looks less berked and car drives/idles so much better (limited to a couple spins around the block)
It kept stalling, though. I'll have to add some gas and check if I have some leaks as the boots didn't seem to sit completely right with the hard pipe and throttle body.
Need to repair the female end of the o2 plug and also finger out why my fans don't kick on.
Insuring and smog within the next week hopefully.

New HID fog bulbs on the IS300, will send the busted bulb back to DDM and see if they'll honor their lifetime warranty again.
Threw in a spare D2R low beam bulb on the driver side since it was slowly dying, took forever with my big hands, should have removed the bumper. Now I have one blueish bulb and one yellowish bulb, hack. bleh.
Swapped out the mid and rear underbody panels for non berked ones (my fault, took off the front one which caused those two to drag at speed) and re-installed my front one so it's all kosher now.
Had the curb rash on my BBS repaired, had to take one back to fix the dent on the lip. Tried unsuccessfully to get used 225/45/17s for the front Infiniti wheels I'm currently running.

Started masking underside of the red replacement Integra hood to do a rising sun paint job.

Replaced the compromised coolant tank on the C230k recently, also did the oil and power steering too. Topped off the coolant yesterday and drove it to work today since it's been sitting for 2 weeks.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/15 3:37 p.m.

Fixed the CAN Bus communication problem in the H2. Involved taking the drivers seat out and some carful drying out of the data acquisition box. Then added some dielectric grease to strategic locations in the connector to hopefully keep it from happening again.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/15 3:47 p.m.

Took the Wife's Abarth spoiler to be painted for The Fiat and called a guy about an engine donor for my Monte. The ad says "Ran Good". But left out "until some bits came out the side"

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
4/13/15 3:49 p.m.

Replaced the (nearly corded, not matching-sized) right rear tire on the Mister Two.
Then showed it/gave a test drive to a young lady and her father.
I might actually be down to two cars soon?!

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/15 4:04 p.m.

I pulled the ac apart on the durango. It hasn't worked right in years and was in the way. I'm sure I will fix it back up someday but until then I'd rather have room to work on other things that need maintenance like the coolant hoses and transmission cooler lines.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/13/15 4:19 p.m.

pulled injectors out of powerstroke in 95 tow truck. ordered new injectors that should give a nice performance gain, but not be smokey.

cleaned/conditioned leather in 96 993 targa, but it still needs more conditioning, so ordered some better stuff that will hopefully do the job.

ripped the rest of the horrible interior out of the 928, cleaned and dyed existing carpets, cleaned and conditioned replacement seats. Waiting on rear console to arrive before reinstalling the replacement stuff.

finished up the install on the new PS pump, steering box, and lines on the 55 wagon and finally have a power steering setup that does not leak, but have more blowby than I like, so am debating pulling engine....really don't have time for that, but not sure I want to band-aide it either.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
4/13/15 6:33 p.m.

Update, went to move the C230k on my break and there was a puddle of coolant underneath, front center of engine but past the radiator. Looks like a new water pump is in it's immediate future. Hopefully the coolant I poured in stays in long enough for me to get home and park it.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
4/13/15 6:48 p.m.

I got some parts key to future progress.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
4/13/15 6:55 p.m.

drove it too work with the intention of pulling the rear cover again and seeing whats making funny noises. busy day wore me out so i got lazy and just drove it home.

1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tOPlai0u8B8Cs4Sekj4rYEK3es05DoODAZIrhgFo9I6tlZlULSx6RKJ3oGAQqlty