1 2 3
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/26/16 1:05 p.m.

The county is having a vehicle auction on Wednesday morning, and I happen to have a few extra dollars sitting around, so I'm going to go have a look.

These are retired sheriff and parks department vehicles, which I'm taking as an assumption that means high hours low miles, but probably abused. Amongst the pickup trucks and SUVs I have no interest in, there are 5 04-05 crown vics, and a few impalas. It's the Vics that get my attention as they can fulfill several needs and desires I have for my next vehicle.

SO on the chance they sell for less than I take with me, what should I look out for problem wise?

Being PA, the emissions concern me, but I would expect the county to have kept up on that aspect. Still need to pass a safety inspection though, so tires, lights, no holes in the body and no broken glass are kind of needed.

link to auction website link to photo gallery

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/26/16 1:07 p.m.

Paging Ross413 to the courtesy phone...

RevRico
9/26/16 7:46 p.m.

So after hunting through search here for a while, Javelin, do you have any problem areas to check on 04-05? Is there even a difference between those years?

Firewall rust apparently needs checked out, but any other problem areas?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/26/16 8:31 p.m.

The 05s were drive by wire as opposed to drive by cable, but they got a relocated PCM, 31 spline axles, and the passenger airbag switch. Otherwise, they were both very similar. Check for rot in the rear arches at the edge of each plastic side skirt, as water can pool there and create issues. Check for leaky heater cores and budget for brakes (they like wearing out pads). Make sure the oil cooler and lines don't leak, and bring a code reader. Check for floor rust and inoperable e-brakes, two issues you may find in a salt belt state. Otherwise, just have fun.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
9/26/16 8:35 p.m.

Grab an 04 if you can, best of all the systems... One color will look less trashy but will cost a bit more. Make sure there are 17" wheels on it as they were still a option from that year. Rocker rust is a minor issue. Not sure where you are in PA but we will be selling 2-3 nice ones before the year end where I work.

Thanks Ross

RevRico
9/26/16 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Ross413:

They've only got one 04 on the list, this may make it interesting. But I'm out in Westmoreland County to give you an idea.

Honestly it's an impulse. Between rust and what they end up selling for I might not buy anything. Just seeing so many, and having a little extra money has me wanting to go look.

While I'd rather save the money for an E36 or WRX, if I can get a Vic for under a grand, I don't see a downside. Family hauler, rally crosser, fun for autocross laughs, good highway cruiser.. It just checks all the buttons, except boost.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/16 9:04 p.m.

My 06 has a hour meter on the odometer. Other than having to change a couple of coils from sitting for a couple of years, it's been flawless.

I will say the paint on them sucks. I'll end up painting mine in the next couple of years.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/16 9:45 p.m.

Everyone here already hit all the major points. Under a grand you can't go wrong anyway.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/26/16 9:51 p.m.

I like my '03 I picked up back in February. Took it to Colorado (from Missouri) with the family in July. I'd set the cruise on 83 and wind it up to 95 every now and then. What's the cool part about that? The rest of the Sparks family never even noticed we were traveling that fast.

I agree with Toyman...paint sucks. But whatever. I have had to replace one coil. I'm due for tires so I've been on the lookout for some neat wheels first.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
9/26/16 9:57 p.m.

The white ones are famous for terrible paint. Literally comes off by hand, in huge chunks... Ones with OE non white paint are good.

Also, cheap parts. Way easier to maintain than an E36 or WRX. If you can get the vins I can run them tomorrow to see which one is the one to grab.

Ross

RevRico
9/26/16 10:23 p.m.

Well I do have a half gallon of paint left from the miata and a better idea of what to do with it, so as much as I never want to paint a car again, it could be done.

2004 FORD CROWN VIC 2FAFP71W14X162430 95,804 miles

2005 FORD CROWN VIC 2FAFP71V808X10376 JUNE 16 unknown miles

2005 FORD CROWN VIC 2FAFP71W75X163860 AUG 16 243,718 miles

2005 FORD CROWN VIC 2FAFP71W9FX163861 Unknown miles

2005 FORD CROWN VIC 2FAFP71W95X163858 JUNE 16

Auction site was nice enough to post them up. Only one picture of each, but aside from one car missing headlights, the fronts and driver sides all look good, and the tires aren't flat.

What really got my attention was an interview with the department head. Selling 27 vehicles, radio setups, and a phone system and expect to make "maybe $25k". obviously that is a terrible way to guestimate a car purchase price, but it's enough to get me interested. Especially when there are some nice dump trucks and diesel trucks up for grabs.

That V808 vin... odd. could that be a different version?

There's a caravan on the list.. it's 900 miles from my house to the racetrack in Gainesville... I don't have a baby sitter for thursday afternoon or else I'd be shooting for super last minute challenge entry.

Toyman01
9/26/16 10:58 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I like my '03 I picked up back in February. Took it to Colorado (from Missouri) with the family in July. I'd set the cruise on 83 and wind it up to 95 every now and then. What's the cool part about that? The rest of the Sparks family never even noticed we were traveling that fast. I agree with Toyman...paint sucks. But whatever. I have had to replace one coil. I'm due for tires so I've been on the lookout for some neat wheels first.

You can pick up a set of 17" Mustang take offs for $240 shipped, on Ebay. IIRC, the pre 05 cars will need a 1/2" spacer to run them. You can't buy steelies for that.

Ebay Link

I wrapped them in Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs and love them.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/16 11:12 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Nope, pretty 03. 2002 was the last year of the low offset wheels. High offset came in 03 with the new frame. All 05+ Mustang wheels will bolt right on.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
9/27/16 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I think what Toyman was referring to was his wheels. There are a few Mustang wheels, fan-blades specifically, that need a small spacer for caliper clearance. Otherwise, you are correct about the wheels.

Ill look up those vins in a sec.

Ross

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
9/27/16 10:37 a.m.

1st vin 3.55, w/trac lock, good springs/bars, carpet floor, cloth seats, (should be split bench with fold out armrests)

2nd vin bad vin no info

3rd vin 3.55, w/trac lock, good springs/bars.

4th vin bad vin no info

5th vin 3.55, w/trac lock, good springs/bars.

Thats all I got. I would still go for the Beige 04, hell I am thinking of driving out... Only hangup for me with it is no tach. The others are better users, vinyl floor, tougher seat coverings. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Are you for sure going to the auction?

RevRico
9/27/16 10:45 a.m.

THANK YOU.

Yes, I'm definitely going, I just only have a grand to take with me, maybe 1200. I was eyeballing the beige one to begin with. But like I said, impulse.

A good set of snow tires should make the car about what I need. Winter beater, rally crosser, room for the car seat. and I guess a bluetooth OBD2 dongle to keep track of things.

Kinda been kicking myself for letting my grandfather sell his 03 before he died, but it was 12 years old with 22k on the clock, that scared me more than 100k well used does.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
9/29/16 9:06 p.m.

And...? What did the beige one go for?

RevRico
9/29/16 9:09 p.m.

Beige sold for 12 or 1300. Got my white n blue for 600, 2005 FORD CROWN VIC 2FAFP71W95X163858 JUNE 16, 229k miles. It's been great so far, aside from screwing around trying to make the horn work again so it passes inspection. Just putting in a switch and relay and going the direct route.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
9/29/16 10:10 p.m.

Bad ass man!! Need anything just shout. Cant wait to see pics.

RevRico wrote: Beige sold for 12 or 1300. Got my white n blue for 600, 2005 FORD CROWN VIC 2FAFP71W95X163858 JUNE 16, 229k miles. It's been great so far, aside from screwing around trying to make the horn work again so it passes inspection. Just putting in a switch and relay and going the direct route.
RevRico
9/29/16 10:20 p.m.
Ross413 wrote: Bad ass man!! Need anything just shout. Cant wait to see pics.
RevRico wrote: Beige sold for 12 or 1300. Got my white n blue for 600, 2005 FORD CROWN VIC 2FAFP71W95X163858 JUNE 16, 229k miles. It's been great so far, aside from screwing around trying to make the horn work again so it passes inspection. Just putting in a switch and relay and going the direct route.

Pics and future build thread

I haven't done much more than wash it, cut out a lot of extra wiring, and reconnect the fuse panel in the passenger footwell. After I get the Miata inspected tomorrow, I'm going to finish rigging up the horn, then get this inspected. No holes, half tread on the tires, no check engine light, I think it will pass, but it's giving me airbag code 33: passenger airbag wiring. I don't think that will be a problem, but it could be.

Bluetooth OBD2 dongle and a mount for my phone are ordered in as a cheap digital dash solution with the torque app. No tach is too weird for me.

I think it's going autocrossing next weekend on the half there RSA's that it came with, that should be interesting.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/30/16 7:01 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: You can pick up a set of 17" Mustang take offs for $240 shipped, on Ebay. IIRC, the pre 05 cars will need a 1/2" spacer to run them. You can't buy steelies for that. Ebay Link I wrapped them in Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs and love them.

This is VERY interesting. I didn't realize those would need spacers. I'd be interested in hearing about why. Most of the stuff I've read about mustang wheel fitment on '03 and up Crown vic's indicates they fit fine (Like Javelin mentioned). So I'd like to know what I'd be getting into. Wheel spacers would be an annoying additional cost, but I might find it tolerable ;)

Toyman01
9/30/16 7:45 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks:

The wheel offsets changed on the newer cars. New car, new wheel, no problem. New wheel, old car, needs spacers. Old wheels, new car, wheels stick out of the fenders.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/30/16 10:31 a.m.

Now you've infected me...

This one goes to live auction local to me tomorrow:

2010 P71 with "bad" transmission

I'll find out today whether saturday or sunday is my day off. The car has 104,000 miles and supposedly the trans is toast.

What is the deal with the 4R75?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/30/16 10:57 a.m.

Stab in a 5 speed. You know you want to.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/30/16 11:03 a.m.

Ross413 can help with that, too...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gTUPICQusAx3OICrKYu05oHvOFvAkExmltziG07AUeb9gJ571chf1cNESWWcGR5h