Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/18 6:53 a.m.

My daughter is still looking to replace her '89 Thunderbird SC. Next on the hit list is a 2012 Chevy Sonic LTZ, 1.4l, turbocharged, and 6 speed manual. 

What's the good, bad, and ugly on these? 

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/18 7:49 a.m.

My take on three years and 50k miles owning one

There are a couple of dumb mechanical design choices.

-There are two PCV valves (which makes sense-one for boost and one for vacuum).  What doesn't make sense is that one is built into the valve cover ($70 to replace), and one is built into the freaking intake manifold ($150).  They both tend to go bad.  There is an aftermarket workaround for the intake manifold one - I've bought it but haven't installed it yet.

-The thermostat housing is plastic and eventually cracks from fatigue.  It's  a dumb design, but it's cheap and easy to get to.

-Some  of the 6 speeds have issues with a bearing in the transmission that doesn't get enough oil.  Mine was one of them, but it got replaced under warranty at 70k.  If it's going, you'll definitely be able to hear it.  If it's not howling, you're probably fine (or it's already been replaced).

Overall, though, I'm an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/13/18 8:08 a.m.

They're supposed to rip pretty enthusiastic like, and a tune can REALLY add some extra snort as I am told. These are on my short list as well. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/13/18 8:22 a.m.

Well, there this:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2013-chevy-sonic-dailyautox/144736/page1/

but I think that thread might be the genesis of this one.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/13/18 8:30 a.m.

I knew that EvanR has/had one so I went looking for some of his comments.  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/chevy-sonic-owners/127447/page1/

This also caused me to realize I have not noticed EvanR around lately.  He's in Vegas.  

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
11/13/18 3:25 p.m.

I've got 162k on a 1.4 six speed Cruze which is mechanically similar. 

I've done the PCV valve cover twice, thermostat housing once and plugs once.  Other than that the one of the  front wheel bearings went around 125k. 

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
11/14/18 3:38 a.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

lol just like psteav said

Toyman01
11/14/18 8:29 a.m.

The cash has changed hands, the deal is done. 

Not a bad little car. The drivers foot well is a little tight for me, but my daughter liked it. It's not super fast but it is a peppy little car. 

I almost left without looking at it when I saw the Minnesota plate, but the PO stated that it was a Mississippi car and was only up there one summer before he moved to Charleston. There was zero corrosion on anything so I took him at his word. It looks pretty well cared for. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/18 9:55 a.m.

Iirc these have one of the most annoying traction control systems known to man and can only be disabled by pulling a couple fuses.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/14/18 9:58 a.m.

I like these. Hopefully they get to the bottom of the depreciation curve soon.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/14/18 10:13 a.m.

A friend of mine has one of these.  Not sure about the year, but hers is the turbo/5sp

It is a hoot to drive.  Feels more like a Toyota.  It's on the Holden Gamma platform, so it's a Daewoo.  Transmission is a Euro-shift and not entirely sure why since its main markets are US, Asia, and Australia... although the Daewoo/Opel F17 manual was used in Vauxhalls for many years.  Probably just easiest to use something on hand instead of reinventing the wheel.  Either way, nice box.

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
11/14/18 10:20 a.m.

They look like fun little cars, if I were to nitpick I can never get around the 'missing lenses' on those headlights.  But there are tunes out there for the 1.4T that apparently really wake them up.  

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
11/14/18 10:39 a.m.

I drove a 2018 Sonic RS hatch when I bought my Cruze LT hatch. It drove quite well and even with the 1.8L NA engine, was quite peppy. Inside room was the breaker for me, just not as comfortable as the Cruze.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/14/18 11:09 a.m.

i almost traded my Yaris for a loaded (then new) sedan LTZ turbo 6spd.  It was painfully slow and during my test drive it like freaked out and wouldn't accelerate and would attempt to stall itself out.  FUGDAT.  I said nope and promptly returned it.

I later raced a buddy with the "RS" or whatever turbo Sonic hatch with my Yaris and pulled 2 lengths by 65mph.  Im glad I stuck with my Yaris

Toyman01
11/14/18 3:10 p.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

You must be a better driver. Zeroto60times.com shows the quickest Yaris at 8.8 0-60 and the Sonic LTZ at 8.0 0-60. 

She considered the Yaris as well but there weren't any decent used ones in her price range. She also looked at a Cobalt SS but they are either ragged to death or more than she wanted to spend. 

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
11/14/18 3:22 p.m.

There's a few companies that offer tunes for the 1.4T that supposedly give a 40-50whp/wtq bump which is really quite a jump especially in something that light.

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/14/18 3:41 p.m.

GM tech here. Solid little cars. Interestingly, the Sonic with the 1.4T doesn't seem to have the water pump issues that the Cruze with the 1.4T has. Not sure why. Solid, basic transportation, good fuel mileage. See them go to 100k miles and up with only basic maintenance. Front stabilizer links do seem to be a failure point, make it sound like the whol front subframe is falling out of the vehicle. Oh, and they have the best gauge clusters.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/14/18 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I dunno my 0-60...but it runs 16.3s at the dragstrip so I know Im ahead of the curve to begin with.  Puts down 107whp/110wtq for what its worth.

Your daughter will be fine in that Sonic.  We used to own a Spark and we loved that little car.  We only got rid of it because our family got a little bigger.  So now my wife has a new Fit Sport.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/14/18 7:24 p.m.

If the Spark got the 1.4T I would seriously consider it as I like the rest of those things. The Sonic I am meh on compared to the Cruze but it certainly does have a massively cooler gauge cluster as NickD mentioned, and just feels a little sportier in design. 

Robby
Robby New Reader
11/14/18 10:34 p.m.

Just now seeing this thread...I have had mine for 5.5 years and 85k miles and have only had issues with the transmissions. My first one had the howl as mentioned above and got replaced under warranty, then my second gear synchro started going out, so I swapped in a trans from a Cruze that has different gear ratios. Like what was said above, a tune makes a huge difference for not that much money. 

That car does look well cared for, I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
11/15/18 7:29 a.m.

I have a 2012, 1.8 N/A, 5-speed, LTZ sedan.

I have autocrossed it, and I daily drive it all winter and whenever the RX7 is down. Mine did have the oil pressure sensor crack (common problem) and the intake tube disintegrate (common problem) and also the heated seat quit working (another common problem).

They have a lot of small common issues but honestly it has been a good car, especially with the abuse I hand it. I'm glad I bought an extended warranty which will cover the car until I'm done with it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1GKJ1e5Pdvz49BUTCCgxuTLaDcVXFYITxPO9RFr44tvfbu0jAwz3ZWsaUrfb1Ere