caffecapri
caffecapri New Reader
10/23/08 12:41 a.m.

Just seeing what other competitors have done with their LeMons car after the event. Save till next year? Build up and make pretty (gasp)? Strengthen and use for track days? Curious.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/23/08 6:35 a.m.

After barfing the motor and tranny in the ThunderTerd, we decided to hunt down another powerlessplant and bring it back for a return engagement. LeMons is about the only thing an '86 Thunderbird is good for anyway, might as well continue to beat the E36 M3 out of it.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
10/23/08 6:57 a.m.

~OUR JETTA~ survived.

We'll use the engine to re-power a lighter Golf for NASA track days.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/23/08 9:42 a.m.

Rallycross!

We were saving our Subie for Thunderhill again, but it seems we didn't make the cut this year. My girlfriend still wants to keep it around for more rallycross adventures and general beater abuse. She also claims she's going to try to learn body work and paint it with a WRC theme, we'll see.

Bryce

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
10/23/08 10:11 a.m.

Don't they crush some of them at the event?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/23/08 1:36 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote: Don't they crush some of them at the event?

Only one per race, and generally only those that deserve crushing.

Bryce

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
10/23/08 1:43 p.m.

We're bringing ours back. Hopefully sans-overheating/brake problems. I was berkeleying amazed. BERKELEYING AMAZED at how many guys left their cars at the track. Big heavy cars...with cages. There was probably ~$1,000 worth of scrap metal left at LeMons South.

Good news is, aside from the dickheads driving the "General Lee" themed Honda Accord, who took the wheels off of one car, leaving it a non-roller (ASSCLOWNS!,) the pile of cars went to the guys working the track. Gives them a nice bonus for a weekend of hard work, and hopefully gets LeMons an invitation back.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/23/08 1:46 p.m.

Planning to use ours as a cheap track car....assuming it survives.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
10/23/08 2:36 p.m.

$500 starter for $2009 Challenge? Even if it has 10k worth of safety gear and new wheels it could be bought by the promoter for $500 making it a $500 car, period.

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
10/23/08 2:58 p.m.

Yank the new safety gear and crush the hulk?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/23/08 2:58 p.m.

The Acme Racing team left a very nice looking 280ZX at LeMons South. One of my co drivers swears he's bringing a trailer with him next time. I might do the same.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
10/23/08 3:14 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: The Acme Racing team left a very nice looking 280ZX at LeMons South. One of my co drivers swears he's bringing a trailer with him next time. I might do the same.

+1. Sounds like there may be a fight to the death over $500 turds

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/23/08 3:55 p.m.

Guess I better bring the Mauser too.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
10/24/08 9:05 a.m.

I'll bring targets!

RobL
RobL New Reader
10/24/08 9:11 a.m.
Nashco wrote: Rallycross!

Ours was a rallycross beater BEFORE it was a lemons car.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/08 11:55 a.m.

You know what they say... when life gives you LeMons...

Mental
Mental SuperDork
10/24/08 2:08 p.m.

We had a similar car to one of the teams and they gave us a parts car after theirs barfed the head gasket. But yeah, poopshovel is right. There was a goregeus Celica with TRD racing colors and a full autopower cage left and the engine blew. I was tempted to haul it home and just drop a new 22R in it. Some that hardware was nice.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AaTq53Yao6CaaOmFcmUN541gLUck5wLToKPWFrpFH7nXPmqzxFYD0M47biLEl3ds