1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/9/16 8:55 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
NickD wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote: Since it would be a track car the stock seats can be thrown up for sale or the garbage. I have no idea how people handle the stock seats. They hit my shoulders all wrong with their weird needlessly aggressive bolstering. Also the ergonomics are a little weird. That's all I have to say for them. Well that and C5s are a hell of a lot more comfortable with normal ergonomics.
Yeah, the C4 interior is garbage. I dunno how big the OP is, but at 6'3" and 235lbs, I just about throw my back out every time I get in and out of one of these.
That and the lack of foot space with the manual. With 3 pedals there's no place to rest your left foot. It's tight, hot and uncomfortable. Very few seats will fit in the narrow space provided etc. Not a fun place to spend long hours. But.... they are a hoot and that L98 has torque for weeks. You're just above idle? No problem, here's 300ftlbs of torque. At the rear wheels. Sure there's no revs there bu who cares with that much torque? I almost think this should have been an RV engine.
aside of my right leg getting really freaking hot, it's not a bad space to spend a day.

That was one thing I never could get used to. That and the lack offoot space. I have absurdly wide/large feet so that was a real issue for me.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/9/16 2:58 p.m.

I just noticed that there are a few LT1 cars creeping close to my budget. I know about the Optispark issues, but is there anything specific needed for track days other than a baffled oil pan?

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
2/9/16 3:03 p.m.

From what I know, the LT1 shouldn't need much beyond the optispark issues and making sure you don't oil starve it. Just monitor oil and coolant temps closely for a while to know if you need any cooling upgrades when pushing it hard.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/9/16 6:49 p.m.

I had a '88 with the 4+3 and enjoyed many track days with out a hitch.

The front brakes were upgraded to the 13" J55 pkg with small cooling ducts. If I were to do this again, I'd do a C5 brake swap instead. Doesn't really cost much more upfront and the consumables are much cheaper. A good oil cooler and a Z51 powersteering cooler would be the next upgrade. My car had 300 degree oil at Road Atlanta on a 95 degree day, but the coolant stayed well in the safe zone. I ran with out a cat to reduce heat under the car, but an extra layer of insulation in the tunnel would be a good idea for a closed car (mine was a convertible). Corsa exhaust and fresh shocks rounded out the package. Use 17x9 wheels all around with Falken RT615 tires. Car was fun and easy to drive, often suprising more expensive machines.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
2/9/16 10:11 p.m.

^ Good advice here.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xFuzhMQJGsdF0AnJNcblJbW1ur8OWXbTHsZkcK2qNsANgVBfzd8F1s3ue5HfNfpf