1 2
RossD
RossD Dork
3/23/10 3:01 p.m.

I'm with the "do as you want" camp. I could see myself driving it as it sits and/or doing modern things like a zetec with a BDA cam cover and disc brakes. Hide the new stuff for old stuff even if the old stuff is from the '70s.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
3/23/10 3:01 p.m.

Bomber seats and maybe some patina painted race numbers or old sign on the sides.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/23/10 3:08 p.m.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either option. That is just pure awesome!

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/10 3:35 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote: I've argued for a long time that ricers and drifters of today are no different than the hot rod kids of the '50s. Some know/knew performance, most just jumped on the band wagon for the looks.

Not do drift too far off topic, but while there is a lot of truth to that statement, the whole ricer thing happens through the lens of 2000s consumerism, as opposed to post WWII frugalism. Certainly you had speed shops then, but nowhere near the reams of plastic crap that you now have. I think that the GRM ethos is much more in line with broke kids scrounging their speed parts off junkyard cars and occasionally splurging on something from Speedway Motors. As opposed to equally broke kids running up their credit cards with underbody lights and NOX kits.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/23/10 3:38 p.m.

I'm with everybody else on the 'do what you want' bandwagon.

What I would do would be to clean up the rust (I've lived in wet climates too long to 'get' why surface rust is cool) and give it a nice understated paint job. No chrome, maybe black with a little red or a darkish grey.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
3/23/10 3:40 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: Here's an example of period correct...my dad bought an old Model T Ford roadster when he was a senior in high school, in 1929. He painted it red with a can of paint from the hardware store and a brush. Chances are most kids working on their cars back then did something similar, so going for a high level of finish probably isn't necessary.
NO offense to your grandfather at all,but this type of stuff kills me when I hear you guys rag on "ricers".

It was my dad, not my grandfather, and where did you see me rag on any "ricers".

orphancars wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: Having said that, it's also important (in my opinion) to pick a theme or era and stay within the parameters of that theme or era.
I hear a lot of folks saying this lately............and I'm not 100% sure I agree or even know what that means..........not bagging on you at all Stuart -- just benchin' Y'all stay with me here......

The thing is, there's a lot of stylistic and mechanical differences between a gow job T from the 1930s and a T-bucket from the 1960s even though they were built from the same car (to give one example.) I don't care if someone builds one or the other, but when they start mixing bits and pieces from different eras the car gets confused.

For another example, wide whitewall tires and hubcaps look good on a 1950s car, and white letter tires and Cragar mags look good on a late 1960s/early 1970s car, but if you mixed them up the results aren't so good....imagine wide whitewalls on a Pontiac Judge, or the white letter tires and mags on a 1950 Mercury custom.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/23/10 3:41 p.m.

I would probably modernize the hell out of the suspension, throw some bronze volk TE37s on it, and put some boosted 4 banger up front.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
3/23/10 3:55 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: or the white letter tires and mags on a 1950 Mercury custom.

I submit that I've never yet seen a car with slot mags and white letter tires I didn't like. Just sayin...

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
3/23/10 3:58 p.m.

What motor does it have? The intake stack is on the wrong side for a stock banger.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/23/10 4:05 p.m.

I love this color scheme:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0606_25_dodge_roadster/photo_02.html

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
3/23/10 7:26 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I love this color scheme:

I do, too, but the headlight treatment leaves something to be desired. I prefer the old spreader bar in front of the grill

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
3/23/10 7:48 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

I agree also the balance of the car is off because of the frame body color match. The front end is a little odd as well but its a dodge right so its bound to be a little strange.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
3/23/10 8:07 p.m.

I searched through the HAMB for more details. Looks like the gowjob has an '80s Ford 2.3 engine.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
3/23/10 9:26 p.m.
modernbeat wrote: I searched through the HAMB for more details. Looks like the gowjob has an '80s Ford 2.3 engine.

On this one or one of the many copies of this car. I can find very little on this specific car but a 2.3 does not scare me. I have a flathead in storage which I need to rebuild if I went that direction.

I did send a fishing PM to the owner to see if I can get in contact with him.

On a side note, I think I have the Viper sold. No conformation yet but second person came over to look and both have been serious. I will need to find another daily if it goes.

pres589
pres589 Reader
3/23/10 9:44 p.m.

Rustoleum roller paint job, maybe a dark dark red, Kirkey or similar seats, and see what sort of overdrive manual trans you can get into this thing without reinventing too many wheels. If you keep that 2.3 you'll actually have a really easy time of it.

That's really about it.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
3/23/10 10:34 p.m.

The gowjob currently has an automatic transmission and no electrics or plumbing.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/23/10 11:10 p.m.

I like the stance. Thought the first 100 or so rat rods I've seen were interesting. By the 101st the appeal had faded. Personally, I'd rather see it done up to a better standard.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 New Reader
3/24/10 3:17 a.m.

I like it!

2.3 in it? Boost it and confuse people?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
3/24/10 6:33 a.m.
EvanB wrote: I love this color scheme: http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0606_25_dodge_roadster/photo_02.html

I like all cars, but if I saw this at a light or at a show I would expect too much. I would think there's a guy with too much money and time to put together a four wheeled motorcycle that ain't everone's cup of tea.

If that rusty one in the first post rolled up next to me I would be jealous. A guy [kid?] tossed together a bunch of parts and is out having a good time. No expectations of speed or finesse, just out motoring.

I vote door #1.

Dan

Dan

Luke
Luke SuperDork
3/24/10 6:36 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: I would probably modernize the hell out of the suspension, throw some bronze volk TE37s on it, and put some boosted 4 banger up front.

This.

Except maybe even go with a rotary instead. Some obnoxiously loud, fuel-guzzling, ported and carb'd 13B. You know, make it a little bit frightening.

OR, ensure that it's all safe, but leave the suspension alone, and stick an Alfa twin-cam up front. With side-draft Webers breathing out the hood. Modest power, light weight, amazing noises. You could even work in an Alfa transaxle, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
3/24/10 8:32 a.m.

I'd wire it, plumb it, stick a seat made from a cut down '50 Chevy pickup seat in it, air up the tires, check the fluids and hoon it around town.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/10 8:38 a.m.

I wouldn't touch the outside, but add a complete voice-activated Ford Sync with MP3 and satellite radio inside with a touchscreen and everything. Now THAT would be an interesting contrast!

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
3/24/10 8:49 a.m.

I saw a truck that the previous owner started to strip the paint with chemicals but didn't finish it right or something. The paint was all krinkly and ugly so the new owner left it and painted the wire wheels bright Kawasaki green.

Goergeous.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg New Reader
3/24/10 12:37 p.m.

It's got Corvette springs!

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
3/24/10 1:05 p.m.

"Ah, yes...well, basic-but-functional"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners