1 day ago in News
April is "Member’s Month" at SCCA's Track Night in America.
What does the Donate Life Rose Parade Float (seen cruising through Pasadena during the recent Rose Parade) have to do with racing? The float supports a personal cause of Kenton Koch, the Prototype Challenge class winner at last year’s Rolex 24 At Daytona—as well as the 2014 Mazda MX-5 Cup champ and 2015 Prototype Lites champ.
Kenton’s mom is a recent heart transplant recipient, and the family does lots of work with Donate Life. This group encourages everyone to register to be an organ, eye and tissue donor.
Key donation facts and statistics:
• More than 119,000 men, women and children await lifesaving organ transplants (1100 of them are 10 years old or younger).
• About 58% of patients awaiting lifesaving transplants are minorities.
• Another person is added to the nation’s organ transplant waiting list every 10 minutes.
• Sadly, 8000 people die each year (22 people each day–almost one person each hour) because the organs they need are not donated in time.
• One organ, eye and tissue donor can save and heal up to 75 people (save eight lives through organ donation, restore sight to two people through cornea donation and heal many others through tissue donation.)
Registering to be a donor is easy, secure and takes less than a minute. Go to RegisterMe.org today to register your decision to be a donor.
Get all the latest amateur motorsports stories in your mailbox eight times a year. Subscribe to Grassroots Motorsports now.
Maybe i'm being grim, but for me making the connection between racing and organ donation was instantaneous.
I'm registered as a donor, and most people would be LUCKY to get my organs. But, I often say that my body will be in otherwise perfect shape other than being crushed to uselessness if I go out the way some people assume i will (in a car). But the other option, that my lost-track-of 12+ concussions as a young person result in me losing my mind while the rest of my organs are still looking good, presents an attractive scenario for those in need of my organs, assuming that doctor-assisted suicide is able to be legally enacted in my state based off the will i should be writing right now.
4 days ago in News
Now is a great time to renew or start subscribing to our magazine.
Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!Learn More