Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/14 2:50 p.m.

Ecotec. Need more cams.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
8/29/14 2:50 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Hungary Bill wrote: I think almost every engine has "some" aftermarket. It's just the price that keeps "us" away. (ie: Toyota 1UZ and Audi ABH) In theory every engine at least has an aftermarket ECU (megasquirt) and subsequently a turbo option (you just have to pay to have a turbo manifold welded up from the flanges you had your local machinist make from the gaskets you brought him/her, buy the turbo, run all the plumbing, intercooler, larger injectors, etc etc etc...)
I don't think Megasquirt can control the LEAF, and a turbocharger won't help at all!
Touche!

Its only a matter of time.... seriously. Maybe not for the leaf but I'm sure someone is already trying to hack the Tesla's controller

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
8/29/14 8:44 p.m.

Definitely ecotec. And as was mentioned earlier, the SHO v8's. northstar v8's.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
8/29/14 9:28 p.m.

Is there an American V8 swap kit for Discos yet? That seems like some seriously low hanging fruit.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/29/14 9:31 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Ecotec. Need more cams.

What do you need? I think comp has about a half dozen grinds, j-body perf. Has a few, and you can always buy blanks from GM, and have them custom ground.

e46potenza wrote: Definitely ecotec.

What do you need that you can't get?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/29/14 10:08 p.m.

4.3 Chevy. There are billions of these things. No aftermarket heads. Maybe a couple of intake options and exhaust.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
8/30/14 6:04 a.m.

VWs 3.6 VR6 motor. Their older VR6s have lots of support in the aftermarket but not so much for the big one. And it's in Passats, QX7s, Porsche Cayenne's, and I'm sure a few others.

I know one off custom stuff has been done but dropping 15-20 grand on a twin turbo setup is a bit out of my range.

I did read a blurb maybe a year ago about some guy who stuffed a TT VR6 and its attendant AWD system into a Miata shell. The article claimed 1000hp (!) Probably went pretty good :-)

tjbell
tjbell Reader
8/30/14 6:32 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: 4.3 Chevy. There are billions of these things. No aftermarket heads. Maybe a couple of intake options and exhaust.

I vote the GM 4.3 V6 also. My father has a 2005 silverado with the 4.3, he has a cat back, K&N intake, ported and polished throttle body, MSD multi spark ignition, and after market MAF ( forget name) it put down 176WHP and 248FT/LBS its a pretty cool truck, I keep trying to get him to boost it!

Knurled
8/30/14 7:01 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
Knurled wrote: Ecotec. Need more cams.
What do you need? I think comp has about a half dozen grinds, j-body perf. Has a few, and you can always buy blanks from GM, and have them custom ground.
e46potenza wrote: Definitely ecotec.
What do you need that you can't get?

When I was looking, all I could find were tiny little "street" grinds or forced induction oriented products.

If you have enough vacuum to run power brakes, your cam is too small.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/14 10:23 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Is there an American V8 swap kit for Discos yet? That seems like some seriously low hanging fruit.

it's basically an old aluminum buick engine. I wonder if the bellhousing pattern is the same as later engines?

Knurled
8/30/14 1:16 p.m.

I'm fairly sure that it was from before GM decided on a standard bellhousing, except for Chevy.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
8/30/14 2:00 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: Well the wood is just a isolating spacer. I am more interested in why the blurred out the little rectangle on the front.
Swank Force One wrote: That wasn't towards the "wood" comment. That was just... i can't brain around the idea that someone did that, and how much power it made.
kevlarcorolla wrote: Yeah whats going on in the blurred section?. Cool,I see drysump so I'm thinking hardcore hillclimber/rockcrawler powerplant or something?.

The blurred section is all the belt tensioning design and development. You guys seem to forget the GR engine series normally runs a timing chain... NOT a timing belt....

This is a 3.6 liter version that was built for a formula type car.

Maximum power was a bit over 440hp @ 8800 rpm, they have dialed it back to about 400 hp, and found a "fat midsection" in the process.

The reason for the change in timing drive was the original lay out would "eat itself" do to thermal expansion.

old_
old_ Reader
8/30/14 2:10 p.m.

Really cool

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
8/30/14 10:26 p.m.

The GM 8.1L big block V8. When they came out, I thought it was going to usher in a new era of big block insanity. Not sure why, but it never happened.

Fun fact: Not sure if any were built this way, but back around 2001, you could get a short bed 2WD Chevy 2500 with a 6-speed manual and the 8.1L motor. I saw an order guide back when I worked at a Chevy dealer and thought that would have been a cool muscle truck. This was before the Silverado HD came out, so it looked a lot like a 1500.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
8/31/14 7:27 a.m.

The BMW M42,M44,M50,M52, and M54 engines should have a bigger aftermarket. When these cars got to about 5-7 years old and were purchased by their 2nd and 3rd owners, their should have been more demand for supercharger systems for all of these engines and there should have been someone willing to make performance cylinder heads for the straight six engines. A little later, there should have been demand for turbocharger systems too.

Knurled
8/31/14 7:58 a.m.

Why get a supercharger when the six cylinder is available? I never understood that. We don't have displacement taxes here. Forced induction is just what you resort to when you can't fit a larger engine by rules or by design.

That said, more cams/more intake manifold options would be sweet. But most BMW owners of cars of this time frame seem to be the appliance type, not racers. You can still find good bits for the older SOHC fours. Heck, half the time when I troll eBay for Weber stuff, it's twin carb setups for the BMW SOHCs.

In response to SilverFleet: The main reason for that, I think, is the 8.1 is too different in the ways that the established big-block aftermarket are geared for, and at the same time it is so similar that there's no point in making special parts. I cannot imagien for a moment that the big-block is dead, at least from my little corner of the world. Rebuild a 427 or 454 and it is just as cheap to make it a 496 because pistons and cranks cost the same, and I don't think I've doen a BBC smaller than 540ci in a long time.

My next big project once the Camaros and Hummer and the current gaggle of GNs are done is to attach EFI and a 6L80e to a 604ci BBC. Detuned to 900hp for pump gas. In a Chevelle. Should be a riot

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/31/14 9:05 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Why get a supercharger when the six cylinder is available? I never understood that.

Because they give you the power when you need it, and bypass when you don't, giving better economy.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/14 9:09 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Why get a supercharger when the six cylinder is available? I never understood that. We don't have displacement taxes here. Forced induction is just what you resort to when you can't fit a larger engine by rules or by design.

the Fours also handle better due to less weight and the weight pushed back further in the chassis. On the 6 cylinder cars, there is barely room between the cooling fan and the radiator.. on the 4's. you can swing a cat

Knurled
8/31/14 9:22 a.m.

But a BMW that doesn't occasionally ram the fan through the radiator is like a day without sunshine...

(ed. note: Still want a '95 M3. Yes, I know about the money shift.)

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
8/31/14 10:38 a.m.

The Toyota 4A-GE. I get so jealous looking at all the great bolt-on stuff for Miatas. What I'd give for a well-engineered bolt-on turbo kit for my Mk. 1 MR2.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
8/31/14 1:20 p.m.
Jim Pettengill wrote: The Toyota 4A-GE. I get so jealous looking at all the great bolt-on stuff for Miatas. What I'd give for a well-engineered bolt-on turbo kit for my Mk. 1 MR2.

I do head work....

Full size

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
8/31/14 1:47 p.m.

There is a really small aftermarket for the Corvair. I get it's not a berkeleying Camaro or Chevelle and that people may not want to buy performance stuff for the Corvair, but there isn't enough.

Some companies hold the market and there is no competition, so everything is expensive as hell. There's a lot of custom one off stuff which is great and all, but I really would love some bolt on stuff.

Knurled
8/31/14 3:08 p.m.
Jim Pettengill wrote: The Toyota 4A-GE. I get so jealous looking at all the great bolt-on stuff for Miatas. What I'd give for a well-engineered bolt-on turbo kit for my Mk. 1 MR2.

Meanwhile, 4AGEs have been raced in multiple series in various forms of motorsport and there is a wealth of knowledge (including direct from Toyota) at how to make naturally aspirated power up to 300hp, so you don't have to do the R&D yourself. This is awesome, especially since the engine can be considered a modernized Ford BDA engine, one of the coolest racing engines produced in the last fifty years.

Miata engines, the answer to "how do I make N/A power" is "Shut up and throw a turbo on it." Which sort of makes sense given that the engine is an outgrowth of Group A competition, where strong bottom ends to take lots of pressure were valued over free breathing and high RPM.

The perverse thing is that naturally aspirated power rewards having proper gear selection, which is easy to do longitudinally because you can swap the transmission fairly simply and rearends are very swappable. Forced induction power doesn't care about the gearing nearly as much as long as the torque doesn't grind things into powder. So MR2 chassis would more benefit from forced induction and the Miata chassis would more benefit from natural aspiration.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
8/31/14 6:39 p.m.
Knurled wrote: But a BMW that doesn't occasionally ram the fan through the radiator is like a day without sunshine... (ed. note: Still want a '95 M3. Yes, I know about the money shift.)

You get the money shift with the standard cars, too. :(

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
8/31/14 9:19 p.m.

Is there any aftermarket for the Chevy Volt's engine? It could use more powa!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qg8TrqGxHHv7pZ8ynBvc8faDRCgdnYFV29w3F7tMnRy1rQY7UdDyK7hGCiEcelWi