1 2 3
mw
mw Reader
2/16/10 10:39 a.m.

My dad and I picked up an e-type not too long ago as a future project. It's a 62, which is a desirable model, but already has a different jag engine (from a saloon) in it. We're not too big a fan of carbs and we are much more interested in driving the car than we are in showing it.

Our plan was to follow the tried and true formula of putting a more modern japanese engine into an old british car. I was thinking about supra, or skyline inline 6's, since that's what's already in there, but don't know much about engines with more than 4 cyl. If the finished product could have 300hp, that would be pretty awesome.

What does grm think?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/16/10 10:40 a.m.

Skyline RB26? Twin turbo, probably good for 350-400hp (IIRC with better turbos) or up to 1000 when built.

As an alternative, stick in a later Jaguar 4.2 and megasquirt it?

EDIT: What about a supercharged AJS-16 engine out of an X300 XJR? That'll keep it in the family.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
2/16/10 10:51 a.m.

I just have to be the LSx guy in this thread, huh?

The 2JZ-GTE (i.e. supra) engine is a great straight 6, but it looks WAY to modern to be in an e-type. Changing the valve cover to something a little less "high tech 80's" would help a lot.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/16/10 10:51 a.m.

That 7MGTE motor is bulletproof, and the 1 or 2JZGTE seems to be as well. Get the trans too. That would be way cool. Just do not buy your JDM motor swap from JDM Tiger Auto Parts (PROBLEMS).

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/16/10 10:54 a.m.

GM Vortec I6?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy New Reader
2/16/10 10:55 a.m.

First things first... forget the engine and rewire that thing... rip EVERYTHING Lucas out and rewire it.

Ok, now that has been taken care of...those Jag engine sound wonderful......and there is nothing inherrently wrong with it..... how hard would it be to retro fit ITBs and a nice aftermarket management system????

mw
mw Reader
2/16/10 10:55 a.m.

Which of these engines are reasonably priced and can get parts reasonably easily?

Carson
Carson Dork
2/16/10 11:00 a.m.

I don't know the availability in Ontario, but around here you can get a last generation Cressida for little more than a song. That'll get you the 7MGE and all the wiring and connections you may not get from an importer. Then add turbo and a manual and done!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/16/10 11:06 a.m.

BMW 3.5L big six out of an E34/E28 would be sweet.

Carson
Carson Dork
2/16/10 11:12 a.m.

I thought BMW too, but I don't think the canted 6 will fit, even the 12s Jag put in them don't look as wide as the BMW.

Of course, I've only sat in an E-Type once and could be completely wrong.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
2/16/10 11:13 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: First things first... forget the engine and rewire that thing... rip EVERYTHING Lucas out and rewire it. Ok, now that has been taken care of...those Jag engine sound wonderful......and there is nothing inherrently wrong with it..... how hard would it be to retro fit ITBs and a nice aftermarket management system????

Agree on both points.

Install an aftermarket wiring harness (I put an Advanced Autowire harness in a Spitfire) and fab a intake manifold to EFI the Jag engine (google: FIS6). Don't even need to use ITBs... a single TB from a Ford or GM will work fine.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
2/16/10 11:20 a.m.

Check out the RB20 in the first car shown here... listen to how awesome it sounds... Inline 6 shootout

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/16/10 11:28 a.m.

1uzfe?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/10 11:42 a.m.

roller-cam 5.0 with aluminum heads and a big cam.

or LSx

klipless
klipless New Reader
2/16/10 11:48 a.m.

13B?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/10 11:49 a.m.

I too think that if you rip out the lucas electrics and wire up a megasquirt with ITBs... you would have a pretty reliable, soulful, and fun E-type to go collect crumpets in...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
2/16/10 11:51 a.m.

I don't think I could put a V8 in that car... it'd have to be something with cylinders in multiples of 3 to sound right. LSx would certainly be a solid performer, and if performance was the be-all, end-all goal, I'd agree with it... I just think an E-type is something that would loose a certain je ne sais quois if stuffed with a doh-mestic small block.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
2/16/10 11:52 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I too think that if you rip out the lucas electrics and wire up a megasquirt with ITBs... you would have a pretty reliable, soulful, and fun E-type to go collect crumpets in...

I like this plan. In my opinion the Jaguar six cylinders sound so much better then any of the Japanese sixs.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/16/10 11:53 a.m.

As far as easy, dirt cheap, correct looking etc..

what about an L28 or L28det out of a Datsun 280zx? Rusted up donors are a dime a dozen and it would retain some of the inline 6 charm.

The big question is what is the end use. cruising or racing? Also what can the driveline take (what are you replacing?).

the skyline/supra motors might toast the rear end of the car.

BTW, skyline/supra have a high JDM-y0! tax on them. For less money you could put an LS1 in there and have crazy power with little effort if thats what you want out of it.

RossD
RossD Dork
2/16/10 11:55 a.m.

Jeep 4.0! Its big, its heavy, lots of parts and can get to 300 hp with a stroker kit and some tuning... I dont know how the size and weight compare to the original 6 though

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/16/10 12:02 p.m.

80's Supra engine should be cheap, just find a donor car. Skyline stuff will be way to expensve and hard to get. But I really like the idea of maintaining the Jag engine with updated electrics and injection. LSx if you're going racing though.

klipless
klipless New Reader
2/16/10 12:04 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: ... it'd have to be something with cylinders

There's the problem right there, you're limiting yourself to engines with cylinders. I still stand behind my 13B suggestions.

alex
alex Dork
2/16/10 12:08 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Check out the RB20 in the first car shown here... listen to how awesome it sounds... Inline 6 shootout

Great video.

I love YouTube comments. 'Are carbs the same as ITBs?' Ah, youth...

mw
mw Reader
2/16/10 12:15 p.m.

From looking at what I can get from my local engine importer, here are some of the prices.

rb20 with 5 speed $900 -

rb25 with 5 speed $1500 -

rb26 with 5 speed $2900 -

1jz gte with 5 speed $1900 -

2jz with auto $1300 -

I'm hoping (I could be completely wrong) that sticking with an inline 6 will make it possible to have this engine swap be reversible if we ever decide to put a jag engine back in. I don't want to put a v8 in the car. If I do come across an lsx for a great price it will be going in a miata, not in the jag.

The purpose for the car would be a toy that I could take to an ocasional autox when I don't care if I win and to drive around on weekends and take to weddings, etc (classier looking than a miata). I have a friend with a 700hp rb26 powered 240z and I absolutely love that car. I was hoping to build something similar but in an e-type skin and with half the power since I will likely be sticking with wire wheels.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/16/10 12:20 p.m.

A '62 E-type is a pretty valuable car and it already has a Jag engine in it...I think it would be a lot simpler to just go ahead with a Megasquirt setup than creating a Frankenstein with some other engine, plus you won't kill its resale value.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5M3K1NHOqa2kH22ZXohr5iQv3uPq8wSONFp7bqOeiPH8dA81OnqIFpFKPVquSao5