1 2 3 ... 5
docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 12:21 p.m.

Getting sick of having to replace worn out parts on my DD SUV.  May abandon my plan to keep it another 2 years and then give it to my daughter when she turns 16.

If I do, I'd like to replace it with something that's NOT a crossover.  I prefer a fast wagon or a hot hatch, needs to be AWD.  My budget will preclude the uber wagons like an E63 AMG wagon or a Porsche Sport Turismo.  I definitely want something under factory warranty or certified.  Think I'm done spinning wrenches on my DD with the exception of oil changes.

So what hot wagons does that leave me?  Something with 350-400hp?

Hot hatches the Golf R is an obvious choice, maybe a Focus RS (2018) if I can deal with the craptacular interior.  4 doors are needed here...  I really wish we got the Audi RS3 hatch or the RS4 wagon!

If I go SUV I can make it a company car and depreciate the entire value in a single year.  That'll save me $$$ and give me more $$$ to play with purchase price wise, just not sure I want to drive a big SUV as my DD after dealing with one for the past year.  Are the 200 series Land Cruisers more durable than my current GX470?

Thoughts?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/31/19 12:24 p.m.

BMW 3 Series wagon? My parents just replaced their E9x with an F3x.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/31/19 12:26 p.m.

I have similar stable and similar tastes as you. We are on our second 200. First was 07, went 275k miles, way better built than brothers GX. The 5.7L is buttery smooth 

however “fast,” it is not. As a hot hatch/wagon owner myself, it will be hard to beat a Golf R. Personally I wont own a VW, regardless of warranty, but sounds like will suit your needs. CPO E wagon? 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 12:26 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Are they even bringing the 3 series wagon here anymore?  Do they come with 350hp?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/31/19 12:30 p.m.
docwyte said:

Are they even bringing the 3 series wagon here anymore?  Do they come with 350hp?

Newest one not coming. Previous to it was 248HP

Cpo volvo wagons? 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 12:31 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Yeah, I figure it'll be similar to driving my current GX470, but bigger and worse MPG.  It is nice having a larger SUV in the stable and I know they don't really depreciate much so I won't lose there.  Just not all that excited with the prospect of going from one boring whale to another.  Plus most of the time I'm driving solo, or with 1 kid so something that large isn't needed.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 12:34 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Volvo are bringing the V60 Polestar wagon with 415hp over soon.  Just not sure when.  That's high on my list but I'd definitely want an extended warranty on it, since it's their supercharged + turbocharged + plug in hybrid motor.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
5/31/19 12:49 p.m.

Have you driven a Buick Tourx? Only 250hp but almost 300lbf of torque makes up for a lot of that.  Nice place to sit for a while and different utilization of space might be great or terrible for you (lots of cargo floor, not very tall). Also not selling well, so motivated dealers.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/31/19 12:59 p.m.

I always enjoyed my Audi S cars, and you can get them in wagons.  They are great DDs, but I’d get a good warranty as they are expensive when things go wrong.

I thought you loved your Cayenne diesel.....  makes me happier I got another truck.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/31/19 1:07 p.m.

I know you said wagons and hatchbacks, but then you talked about enormous SUVs too...so, compromise in the middle and say Jeep GC SRT? Heck, a Basic Durango R/T would give you 360hp for $43k new. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/31/19 1:20 p.m.
docwyte said:

Yeah, this was a CPO car from a dealer. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 1:21 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

I've owned multiple Audi S4 wagons.  Problem is, they're all really old now, newest one is 2008.  I'm really not interested in something that old anymore, it'll be just as much of a time/parts/money pit as my current GX470.  Plus I kinda doubt aftermarket companies will even cover one due to the age.

My wife is driving the Cayenne diesel.  It's treating her well so far, it's under bumper to bumper warranty for another 2.5 years and powertrain/emissions warranty until 2025/120k miles.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 1:24 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I'd much prefer a wagon/hot hatch.  If I get an SUV then I can depreciate it all in one year and save a huge amount of money, so that's kinda attractive.  I've driven the GC SRT and that motor/tranny is a really nice package.  The interior, meh.  You can get a Mopar extended warranty for cheap tho, $1500 buys a 5 year/100k mile, factory extended warranty.  So between that and the tax savings, the SRT starts looking decent. 

A Trackhawk would be fun but the reality is they're still outside my price range, even with the tax savings, and I don't have the ability to use the 700hp it makes in traffic.  So all I'd get is the crappy MPG without the payoff.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 1:25 p.m.

Talked with the Volvo dealer, they're getting 2 V60 Polestar wagons this fall.  No real info on them other than that and I'd have to basically buy it sight unseen.  They seem pretty confident both will be sold before they arrive at the dealer.

Given that I've never owned/driven a Volvo, that gives me great pause.  They didn't even have a V60 on the lot for me to check out.  Not so good...

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/31/19 2:32 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

I've owned multiple Audi S4 wagons.  Problem is, they're all really old now, newest one is 2008.  I'm really not interested in something that old anymore, it'll be just as much of a time/parts/money pit as my current GX470.  Plus I kinda doubt aftermarket companies will even cover one due to the age.

There's a persistent strong rumor that we're getting the C8 RS6 Avant here, but that'll be a $140K+ car.  Other than that, yes, it's a shame.

You *can* get the C7.5 S7.  450hp, 4L V8, twin turbo, S-stronic transmission, and a hatch.  I'm not sold on the styling myself, and it's only got 2 seat belts in the back seat (which are the reasons I have an S6 instead of an S7), but it's new enough you can still buy one under factory warranty and get an extended one while having let someone else eat a lot of the depreciation.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 2:44 p.m.

In reply to codrus :

I'm not sold on that sportbak styling.  It's a shame Audi is forcing that on us vs a true avant.  The RS5 sportbak would be perfect if it was the RS4 avant instead. 

You're right on the RS6, everything I've seen points to it coming but it'll be far outside my price range.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/19 3:39 p.m.

I don’t get the hate on the FoRS interior, to each their own though.

Go sit in one or better yet, drive one.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Because of Matt Farah's review of the seat position.  Or Savage Geese's. 

Matt had unkind things to say about the ride quality as well.

I do think I need to check one out tho.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/31/19 4:01 p.m.

Mercedes GLA45 AMG? 

The GLA class is the Mercedes compact crossover, but the AMG version is lowered enough that it is considered and EPA rated as a compact station wagon. 

I believe it's classed BS in SCCA autocross. Exterior dimensions are almost identical to the old WRX wagon. Horsepower is 355-375 ish, depending on year. 2.0 with twenty-something lbs of boost. Double-clutch with launch control is only transmission. 4MATIC awd is standard. Keyless entry somehow is not.

Get your non SUV and write it off as an SUV?

Edit: Infiniti rebadges the GLA as the QX30. There is a sport model there with the lower output 2.0 from the GLA 250 and front drive mixed with a lowered and firmed up suspension.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/19 4:05 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I don't think Matt Farah was the only one to complain about the ride quality.  A lot of reviewers seemed to prefer the Golf R.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/19 4:09 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to Stefan :

Because of Matt Farah's review of the seat position.  Or Savage Geese's. 

Matt had unkind things to say about the ride quality as well.

I do think I need to check one out tho.

The seats aren’t for, um, larger people.  You also have to wiggle down a little bit after you’ve driven a little bit because the bolsters hold you up a little, especially if you have love handles like I do.  I suspect if you wear anything larger than an XL shirt you won’t fit comfortably.

The ride quality got better in the later 17 and 18’s mostly by changing the valving of the shocks.  

That said, I took my wife and 1-year old on a road trip in mine along the 101 to Cali and back shortly after I got it.  We all survived and had a great time, the ride was noticeable worse on I5 than along 101.  Also, just drove the 9-month old and the now nearly 3-year old across town and they loved it.

Once the original tires wear or age out, I’ll probably move to 18” wheels to fit a bit more rubber under and improve the ride quality a bit more.  The dampers will also get updated eventually as well because I do want it to be better than it is, but it isn’t a deal breaker to me.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/31/19 4:39 p.m.

Get my car....Add in the R suspension from Europe and Toss a tune in it. Boom....250HP, Same suspension and drivetrain as the R in a true wagon. I can grab 2 of those suspensions when I'm in eastern Europe later this year and drop one off at your office. wink

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 6:08 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

I’ve debated the gla amg.  I wish it was the true a45 amg tho.  The gla is a crossover akin to the Macan, kind of this vehicle that’s too tall and not quite big enough to be a proper suv yet not a hot hatch or wagon

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

I’m 6’ 200lbs,  wear an xl shirt.  I’m also all torso, so I have a hard time fitting in some cars.  Miata for instance is a total no go for me.

I’d definitely plan on 18” wheels, probably pss10’s Etc.  I need to sit in an RS and see how I fit and how it compares to the R.

i know the R is nicer inside and better ride, question is if the RS performance and personality can overcome that

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/31/19 6:12 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

You have the golf alltrack wagon?  I’ve thought about the Audi allroad but I really want something with more power.

I’d like to stay away from a tune as I want an intact warranty

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e7lu2uNTSoqzeHdVB52KGFhauU1WhQ66xY7A2VyXQQjxXW6F2K2LnNXiPpMVDmXi