1 2 3 4 5
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
6/6/19 2:04 p.m.

I see the Lexus is for sale. Did you find something you like? Golf R?

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/6/19 2:12 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Narrowing down on the Golf R.  Checking one out today and the dealer can get the color I want by the end of this month.  Figured I'd try to sell the Lexus now, I can drive the 911 if it sells before the Golf R comes in.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/6/19 5:51 p.m.

Drove the Golf R 6MT and a GTi DSG this afternoon.  Liked the Golf R a lot.  Handled well, shifted great, nice clutch action, lovely interior and a surprising amount of power.  Very smooth motor, no real "hit" from the turbo, just pulled cleanly all the way to red line.  Digital cluster is super cool.  Surprising amount of room in the back seat, I could easily fit comfortably in the back seat with the front seat setup for me.  Cargo space with the back seats up is a bit limited but huge with them folded down.

DSG in the GTi worked well and it definitely makes the car faster but I think the 6MT is the way to go.  Crisp shift action and a light clutch pedal won't make it a bother in traffic. 

I may drive a GLA45 AMG tomorrow just to make sure, then I'll decide and go for it.  I've found a CPO'd '18 GLA45 that's just a bit more expensive than the Golf R so its worth a look.  With a mild tune on the Golf R it'd make almost the same power as the GLA45...

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/7/19 11:49 a.m.

Drove the gla45 this morning.  Really nice performing car, can definitely feel the additional power vs the Golf R.  However I don't fit in it.  I couldn't get the seat to go low enough for me and my head was brushing the headliner.  Really uncomfortable. 

There are optional Recaro seats you can get in these but the dealer didn't have a gla45 equipped with them for me to try out.  So it looks like its a no go and pretty much a Golf R for me. 

Someone is coming over this morning to check out the GX, so we'll see where that leads.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/7/19 12:13 p.m.
Saron81
Saron81 Reader
6/7/19 12:32 p.m.

I’d drive the Focus before you decide on the Golf!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/7/19 12:38 p.m.
Cotton said:

CPO ML 63 for 45k.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/inventory/zip-37029/dealerId-75142/bodystyle-SUV/class-M/model-ML63/vin-4JGDA7EB6EA308241

That one has the additional power package......oooooooo

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/7/19 12:46 p.m.
yupididit said:
Cotton said:

CPO ML 63 for 45k.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/inventory/zip-37029/dealerId-75142/bodystyle-SUV/class-M/model-ML63/vin-4JGDA7EB6EA308241

Yeah it’s awesome,  I’d like to have it for myself.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/7/19 1:03 p.m.
Cotton said:
yupididit said:
Cotton said:

CPO ML 63 for 45k.

Yeah it’s awesome,  I’d like to have it for myself.

That is a really handsome SUV. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
6/7/19 1:18 p.m.

Advanced congrats on the R

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
6/8/19 10:04 a.m.
Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/8/19 1:46 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

I really like the team at eurocharged.  I visited their shop one time when I was in Houston and run their ecu and tcu tunes on my cl600.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/19 2:09 p.m.
docwyte said:

I may drive a GLA45 AMG tomorrow just to make sure, then I'll decide and go for it.  I've found a CPO'd '18 GLA45 that's just a bit more expensive than the Golf R so its worth a look.  With a mild tune on the Golf R it'd make almost the same power as the GLA45...

If you are concerned about the power on the Golf R, its hard to admit but I had one of them give me a VERY hard time while driving my e92 M3. Third and fourth gear and I could not shake him off ... It looked stock, but gee that thing was quick.

Also I rented an a series Mercedes in Europe, sames as GLA but lower and the trunk was non existent. The Golf is the way to go.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/8/19 3:07 p.m.

I drove another 6MT Golf R today and I'm gonna get one.  They're surprisingly quick in stock form and I can get an APR + tune which will give it 370hp and 360lb ft, with APR giving a 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty.  So if I do decide I want more power, its easily obtainable WITH a warranty!

People yesterday checked out the GX and liked it, we have a hand shake deal on it.  They're supposed to wire in the money early this coming week.

The color R I want, Indium Gray, should be hitting the dealer in the next few days/week.  They're going to call me when it comes in.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/15/19 10:00 p.m.

Well, that original dealer turned out to be a punk and sold the car out from underneath me, even with me telling them to send me a contract and I'd sign it.  I believe they had no intention of selling me the car for the price we negotiated.

Good news is another dealer that's actually only ten minutes from my house matched the deal and I signed the papers on the car today.  Just have to wait for it to arrive, should be in the next week or two, can't wait!

GX sold, people drove it away two days ago...

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/15/19 10:32 p.m.
docwyte said:

I drove another 6MT Golf R today and I'm gonna get one.  They're surprisingly quick in stock form and I can get an APR + tune which will give it 370hp and 360lb ft, with APR giving a 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty.  So if I do decide I want more power, its easily obtainable WITH a warranty!

Our STH TT shares that drivetrain and those tunes, it's a rocketship! 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/16/19 8:38 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Just a tune on these works impressively.  From what I've seen, stock car other than a tune and full interior/street tires, a DSG equipped version will do the 1/4 in high 11's, 6MT in mid 12's!  That's the same time my stage 3 B5 S4 with close to 400awhp would do.  Crazy!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/19 8:45 a.m.

No clutch change needed?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/16/19 8:50 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Talk to your tuner first and verify they can tune a 2019.

I spoke to someone last week at the drag strip who just bought a 2019 Golf R with plans of a level 3 tune (not sure from who) and he is crazy upset that they can not and will not tune a 2019. Yes to '18. No to' 19.

It's worth a phone call to the tuner! 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/16/19 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Depends.  It seems to vary on use but the clutch will most likely need to be upgraded at some point.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/16/19 9:18 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Stage 3 kits are a totally different story, as that includes a bigger turbo.  Given that the '19's just got released, yeah, the tuners haven't built the code for them yet.  For a simple flash tune on the factory turbo, they've done that already.

Not that many people go stage 3 on a brand new car, so that guy is just gonna have to be patient...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/17/19 9:13 a.m.

APR maintains the factory warranty? That's awesome! An AWD 4dr hatch that runs 11s (I'd go with the DSG) is pretty phenomenal. 

That makes it much more appealing. Although I still wish the styling wasn't quite so bland.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
6/17/19 9:16 a.m.

11 sec 1/4 mile. WOW 

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
6/17/19 9:32 a.m.

The EA888 Gen III is a serious performance package with even the most basic modifications. Like most modern turbocharged engines coming out of Germany, it's underrated from the factory and a simple flash tune unlocks serious amounts of power.

Even the GTI, with the smaller turbo is quoted as making 288WHP/337WTQ with a simple 93 octane tune. Traction immediately becomes a concern at that point, but the Golf R gets around that problem nicely. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/17/19 10:33 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

If you get the APR+ program, they include a 5yr/60k powertrain warranty.  So that kinda supersedes the VW powertrain warranty.  One of my local VW dealers is actually an APR dealer, so you can get the flash from them.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BgeCvPD7lXhMTYXmDrXNtav86jOQ77rYe2NjsqVZ5IiXyjUEnKOmC8EYXKhbKhq8