1 2 3 4 5
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/17/12 10:22 p.m.

I am sooooo jealous

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/17/12 10:27 p.m.

That first real corner, I saw that cloud car submarine a wheel in a gopher hole, I was shocked that it kept going. Not so surprised when it died a little bit later. That being said, I wish I was there. I bet I could convince the FIL to loan me his bobcat and some of his land to do this- as long as I share.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
3/17/12 11:04 p.m.
mndsm wrote: That first real corner, I saw that cloud car submarine a wheel in a gopher hole, I was shocked that it kept going. Not so surprised when it died a little bit later. That being said, I wish I was there. I bet I could convince the FIL to loan me his bobcat and some of his land to do this- as long as I share.

That wasn't a gopher hole...that was a wheel rim digging in after the air pressure was equalized in that tire. Then, I think...old SingleSlammer didn't realize it for a couple more corners. That sound about right?

Clem

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
3/18/12 1:01 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: It's very similar to the video in the first post...so don't get your hopes up if you didn't care for that one. It's kind of a "you had to be there" type of experience, I suppose Clem

I have a feeling we are going to take care of that with one big edited video.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
3/23/12 9:41 a.m.

Are those Ontario plates?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
3/23/12 2:49 p.m.

Doubtful...we're in Missouri

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/19/12 8:32 p.m.

Time for that big edited video.

Enjoy

Please like it if you... like it?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/19/12 9:59 p.m.

looks like fun...the rearward facing bumper-mounted camera worked well

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/20/12 1:28 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

It looks a lot less rough than it is. I guess anyone who mounts cameras in cars would know. Clem had some smart mounts. That was in the rear window area. You can see it in the video. I wish I had the forward data to add.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
5/20/12 12:12 p.m.

You guys might be my heroes. Kentucky? It's like 700 miles away, but I'm totally in if you're open to visitors.

Except that the guy ruining that AWD Tercel is not my hero. That's a sweet car!

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/20/12 12:18 p.m.

We are totally open to visitors. Also the tercel was a beast. Before this it did 6 months DD duty with racing on the weekends. The owners had to fabricate most of the front support structure to get it back on the road. It was bound for the wrecker before they got it.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/20/12 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Twin_Cam:

Mid MO, just north of Columbia.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/21/12 10:35 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: You guys might be my heroes. Kentucky? It's like 700 miles away, but I'm totally in if you're open to visitors.

I think we can consider the back 40 "Tent Friendly." Not my land, not my decision, but probably not a problem.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/21/12 1:18 p.m.

Hahaha looks like loads of fun, I'd do it, my Samurai would be excellent on that track

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/21/12 1:34 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Looks too clean. Maybe I should link up the airborne videos.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/24/12 3:56 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Hahaha looks like loads of fun, I'd do it, my Samurai would be excellent on that track

No, I can tell you with absolute certainty (as a Samurai owner and principal Back 40 instigator) that your samurai would NOT be fun on the track. The term "spinal compression" comes to mind.

It will, however, be exceedingly fun on the trails and hills on the same property (and right at home with the, at least, 3 other samurais that would be out there on any given sunday. Of course, there is a large body of water in your way).

Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/24/12 4:01 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: looks like fun...the rearward facing bumper-mounted camera worked well

The camera mounts cost all off about $0.15 (yes...fifteen cents) from the farm/hardware store. One 1/4-20 bolt, two nuts, and a washer or three.

Istallation instructions are as follow:

1. Find appropriate spot on car for camera (note, this is relative...the cheaper the camera, the more "appropriate" spots like...under the car...begin to seem).

2. Drill hole

3. Insert bolt through hole and tighten down with a nut and some washers.

4. Insert another nut on the resulting stud sticking up through the hole in your hood/roof/bumper/mirror/helmet/etc)

5. Insert Camera and tighten jamnut from step 4 to it...put a washer between the two for good measure and to keep Carroll Smith happy.

Done.

Calling this out in 5 steps is actually ludicrous. A drunken engineer can do it. I have the resulting video footage to prove it.

Clem

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
5/24/12 4:10 p.m.

Phenomenal stuff. /me plans trip to MO...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/24/12 4:14 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: Except that the guy ruining that AWD Tercel is not my hero. That's a sweet car!

I'm sorry, but you are wrong.

you're wrong about them "ruining" it. You're right that it is a sweet car...but riddled with rust and it is living out its life in the most appropriate manner I could think possible.

What I mean to say is that it was 25+ years of salt in the winters that ruined the car...long before this video was taken.

Clem

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/30/12 9:28 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Calling this out in 5 steps is actually ludicrous. A drunken engineer can do it. I have the resulting video footage ot prove it.

So how many beers did you have before actually coming up with the idea?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/30/12 9:31 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Hahaha looks like loads of fun, I'd do it, my Samurai would be excellent on that track

Here's what the Samurai (Tracker actually) did.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/31/12 11:38 a.m.

Note...Samurai and Tracker are NOT the same. Tracker/Sidekick has Independent front suspension.

25+ mph in a Samurai (live axle front suspension with leaf springs) on that course for any length of time and one may ones self on ones lid.

On the other hand. I am quite impressed with the Tracker/Sidekick's ability to haul on the course. That sucker got around it...quick! I expected it to be a little more roll-happy...and I'm sure it can be...but so far, so good.

Clem

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/31/12 11:54 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks:

We'll just have to see how it does against THIS!:!:

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
5/31/12 11:58 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I see a new race series forming. 50 tracks in 50 states. I'll start working on SC.

I might know of a little 15 acre patch that could be purposed into a small rally-cross style track near Greenville, SC. It would take a little grunt work to clear the brush but its pretty secluded and in a nice rural location where folks don't mind these sorts of things.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
5/31/12 12:12 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to ClemSparks: We'll just have to see how it does against THIS!:!:

I hope that Cavalier travels in the trailer shown behind it. The bars on the sides of the trailer would make the car look liked a caged wild animal.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6AGvWVflEo850GO259VOp3Pb63w2RUiCLJGxciuuRdGULop0qCHsYJK2nkhQefPJ