1 2 3 4
NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
8/19/14 10:54 a.m.

Let's say I want to build something prerunner-ish, and I want kind of a lot of power. What is the best starting platform? The parameters here are 2wd, manual, and capable of a lot of power for not a lot of $$$. Preferably small/light, although a half ton would not be out of the question if it can make the power to move itself.

My current best idea is a Nissan Hardbody with a big snail- turbo KA24 builds are well documented and parts are available. What else? F2T Ranger? 4g63t Mighty Max? LSx C1500? Hit me with some more good (bad) ideas.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/19/14 10:56 a.m.

easy button. S10 + v8.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
8/19/14 11:09 a.m.

I agree with Caffeine boy. That swap is so easy I could do it. And did. Loads of fun, especially with the boys with 5.0 Mustangs.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/19/14 11:10 a.m.

Buy a Typhoon?

e46potenza
e46potenza New Reader
8/19/14 11:30 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: easy button. S10 + v8.

Yup definitely the easy button. I've built 2 of these and loved every second of it.

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
8/19/14 11:31 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Have you priced those things lately?

In reply to everyone else:

S10 was not something I had considered, but it does look like the aftermarket/documentation is there to support it.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
8/19/14 11:37 a.m.

Pre-runner-ish? 2WD Comanche w/ some V8.

8/19/14 12:07 p.m.
NONACK wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Have you priced those things lately?

No. Are you saying they are more expensive than buying an S10, then buying a whole different power train, installing it and then tuning it?

If so... er... do that last thing.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/19/14 12:12 p.m.

S10 + V8.

Mitsu truck with 4g63.

B2200/2600 with F2T/Turbo G6 power

2.3T Ranger "Danger Ranger"

5.0 Ranger (Jim Pierce used to rally one of these successfully in the California Rally Championships 2WD class)

4.0 Comanche with a turbo

Any V6 Toyota truck with a big turbo. Or 7MGTE/1jz swap.

Not weird enough? Ok. Let's get weird.

The B2600i used the Mazda "R" transmission and the bigger rear end. As in... same trans and diff family as what was used in the TII/FD RX7s. The B2600i was available with the 3.7 R&P.

So the solution?

B2600 or B2200 with the B2600i rear, axle, and trans mounts. Bolt up a TII Rx7 trans. Attach 13b with a huge turbo strapped to it. Enjoy the REPU from hell.

As for F2T B2200...

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
8/19/14 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Depending on the drivetrain in question, yes

Also, I want absolutely everything on SF1's list.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
8/19/14 12:32 p.m.

I've been seriously wanting an LR4/T5 90-93 S-dime. cam it to make the power up top, find some way to make the rear end do something other than bounce and go have fun

something like this out back:

http://www.avsontheweb.com/product.php?productid=1794&cat=1045&page=1

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/14 12:37 p.m.

v8 but prefer the nicer sonoma vs s10. stay boxy for better looks and less weight.

then drop rear via springs and blocks, add zq8 sway bar. drop front via spindles and 1 coil cut, add zq8 sway bar and tubular upper circle track arms. align, add sticky 17's on soft 8's, have fun. or buy a 4.3 truck, skip v8 and add turbo. or don't bother as a shortbed regular cab 4.3 is pretty quick anyway.

look up "glued to the ground" in the dictionary and there may be a picture of my old sonoma.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/19/14 12:37 p.m.
NONACK wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Depending on the drivetrain in question, yes Also, I want absolutely everything on SF1's list.

MNDSM and i have a penchant for really terrible/stupid ideas. Fortunately/unfortunately, many of the ideas are actually VIABLE if you're dumb enough to attempt any of them.

The motor in his MX6 will probably live on in a strange Pre-Runner-ish truck in the future.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
8/19/14 12:44 p.m.

1st gen Dak + 318 or 360.

Or if you're feeling silly you could go full retard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxkYMe2keS8

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
8/19/14 12:47 p.m.

I wonder how similar the Ranger and B2200 are under the hood.

I assume both of them followed from the Ford Courier, which the REPU was actually based off of... wonder if it would be possible to buy a bog-standard T5 Ranger, use a 12A timing cover on a 13B (for the REPU-era appropriate engine mounting) and have it bolt up?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
8/19/14 12:48 p.m.
Grizz wrote: 1st gen Dak + 318 or 360. Or if you're feeling silly you could go full retard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxkYMe2keS8

But he said he wanted something fast. 318 Dakota's weren't.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
8/19/14 12:53 p.m.

From the factory they were alright. And it's not like it's hard to make power in a 318 on the cheap.

I've wanted a small fun truck to mess with for a while, and since nobody is willing to sell their D50s to me(the bastards) I have to make due with what I can find easily. And since I was raised in a Chrysler/Mitsu family, that means Dakota, or shortbed Ram(which is like hens teeth anymore).

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/19/14 1:09 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: I wonder how similar the Ranger and B2200 are under the hood. I assume both of them followed from the Ford Courier, which the REPU was actually based off of... wonder if it would be possible to buy a bog-standard T5 Ranger, use a 12A timing cover on a 13B (for the REPU-era appropriate engine mounting) and have it bolt up?

They had separated by the time the B2200 came around. Once you have a 2.3-era Ranger, they mostly just LOOK similar, but aren't.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/19/14 1:12 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: I wonder how similar the Ranger and B2200 are under the hood. I assume both of them followed from the Ford Courier, which the REPU was actually based off of... wonder if it would be possible to buy a bog-standard T5 Ranger, use a 12A timing cover on a 13B (for the REPU-era appropriate engine mounting) and have it bolt up?

Nope. The Ranger has nothing to do with the Courier or the pre-94 B-Series. The Ranger is a Ford design. The Courier (minus engine and maybe transmission depending on year) and the B-Series were all Mazda until 1994, after that then it's a Ranger and there were only the B2300, B3000, and B4000 then.

Also the T-5 never came in the Ranger. But you could get a Mazda transmissions in the ranger so you might be able to swap some stuff around to get to a rotary some how... I don't rotary stuff.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
8/19/14 1:12 p.m.
Grizz wrote: From the factory they were alright. And it's not like it's hard to make power in a 318 on the cheap. I've wanted a small fun truck to mess with for a while, and since nobody is willing to sell their D50s to me(the bastards) I have to make due with what I can find easily. And since I was raised in a Chrysler/Mitsu family, that means Dakota, or shortbed Ram(which is like hens teeth anymore).

My best friend had one. 92 318 reg cab shortbed with the auto. We were door to door in my 2.2/5spd Sonoma (2000) to 70mph when we both let off. Repeated this 3 times. Same result. That thing was a turd stock. Ran out of air around 3500 but wouldn't shift until 4500.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/19/14 1:14 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Pre-runner-ish? 2WD Comanche w/ some V8.

AMC 360/390/401 Comanche.

Regardless Comanche seems to be the most awesome option.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/19/14 1:18 p.m.

Not in the price range, but I remember reading on some yahoonews article that the second generation Toyota Tundra was available for awhile with a short bed, regular cab, the 5.7 V8, and as a complete stripper model. Apparently it was capable of sub 5-second 0-60 times, and was close to $20k new.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/19/14 1:22 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: S10 + V8. Mitsu truck with 4g63. B2200/2600 with F2T/Turbo G6 power 2.3T Ranger "Danger Ranger" 5.0 Ranger (Jim Pierce used to rally one of these successfully in the California Rally Championships 2WD class) 4.0 Comanche with a turbo Any V6 Toyota truck with a big turbo. Or 7MGTE/1jz swap. Not weird enough? Ok. Let's get weird. The B2600i used the Mazda "R" transmission and the bigger rear end. As in... same trans and diff family as what was used in the TII/FD RX7s. The B2600i was available with the 3.7 R&P. So the solution? B2600 or B2200 with the B2600i rear, axle, and trans mounts. Bolt up a TII Rx7 trans. Attach 13b with a huge turbo strapped to it. Enjoy the REPU from hell. As for F2T B2200...

Saw they had G54B.... does that mean possibly 4G54T or 4G63T?

Mitsu truck or Mazda truck with 4G63T would be a great answer.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/19/14 1:31 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: S10 + V8. Mitsu truck with 4g63. B2200/2600 with F2T/Turbo G6 power 2.3T Ranger "Danger Ranger" 5.0 Ranger (Jim Pierce used to rally one of these successfully in the California Rally Championships 2WD class) 4.0 Comanche with a turbo Any V6 Toyota truck with a big turbo. Or 7MGTE/1jz swap. Not weird enough? Ok. Let's get weird. The B2600i used the Mazda "R" transmission and the bigger rear end. As in... same trans and diff family as what was used in the TII/FD RX7s. The B2600i was available with the 3.7 R&P. So the solution? B2600 or B2200 with the B2600i rear, axle, and trans mounts. Bolt up a TII Rx7 trans. Attach 13b with a huge turbo strapped to it. Enjoy the REPU from hell. As for F2T B2200...
Saw they had G54B.... does that mean possibly 4G54T or 4G63T? Mitsu truck or Mazda truck with 4G63T would be a great answer.

The B2600 had mitsu G54, yes. The transmissions out of those trucks are popular for RWD 4g setups.

The later B2600i won't help you for that. That's all Mazda. (R-box trans and a G6 motor, which is pretty much a 2.6 litre stroker F2)

8/19/14 1:37 p.m.
mtn wrote: Not in the price range, but I remember reading on some yahoonews article that the second generation Toyota Tundra was available for awhile with a short bed, regular cab, the 5.7 V8, and as a complete stripper model. Apparently it was capable of sub 5-second 0-60 times, and was close to $20k new.

The 1st gen 4.7 I had was a great motor. It was a high revving V8 that made great noises and went like hell when you spun it up a little. I don't know what 0-60 times were but it was pretty quick even with the older auto trans. It actually towed better at 80-90mph than 65 because the motor and trans were at opposing views of where the sweet spot was in the power curve. It wanted to rev.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hWdvCJSTSLmXPAtfoH2AnO3ZyHTL8HUfLbiRHwAkSBa8nF0RPqCjo1KfffaT5USs