1 2 3 4
Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
8/19/14 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

That would also be my guess, since mine pulled right up to redline while taking it home, and that was with stalling every other corner.

kb58
kb58 Dork
8/19/14 9:09 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: ...4th gear would roast the tires on the highway. Imagine doing 70... sideways.... with a cloud of smoke behind you...

Not picking on you in particular, but I'm always amazed how a lack of traction is confused as "fast."

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
8/19/14 9:12 p.m.

Not fast, fun

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/14 1:25 a.m.

I don't have an answer, but I think you might find this inspiring:

Muscle Truck vs. Baja Bug

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
8/20/14 1:47 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:
Building a clone of the muscle truck is on my list of things to do.
By a fair margin my favorite Roadkill ride.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/20/14 8:27 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: Umm, well it's a TTB Dana 35 in the front of theFord and a Dana 30 in the front of the XJ so its not the same. But you're asking a guy (me) who has rock crawled three lifted XJ's with 34" Super Swampers and never broke anything. But then again suppose I could break a Dana 60 if I drove like an idiot. Take a minute and see how many guys do amazing things with Rangers, Explorers, XJ's, YJ's, TJ's and the like without breakage before you condemn it.

Wasn't condemning anything, was just wondering if it was the same axle. Turns out i didn't get the memo we were talking about the front. I DO remember being told it's a good thing when i found our XJ has the 8.75 rear. (Also: easy disc upgrade!)

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/20/14 8:38 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: I don't have an answer, but I think you might find this inspiring: Muscle Truck vs. Baja Bug

Awesome video..

Yeah... 2WD vehicles and sand.. never work.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/20/14 8:42 a.m.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1401-dirt-designs-trophymax-diesel-prerunner-hits-the-dunes/

There's a TTB chevy if you really want to scratch your head. It'll never work in the dunes due to the missing transfer case.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
8/20/14 10:58 a.m.
But he said he wanted something fast. 318 Dakota's weren't.

Shortcabs were a 15 second truck, stock. Except for the people who ran 14s, that is.

People who claim to be car people should really not drive bad-running examples of a car and then claim all of them run like that.

I once bought a modified turbo caravan as a parts donor. On the way home, raced it against my non-turbo all stock 5spd caravan and they ran dead even. Does that mean the turbo doesnt do anything? No, it means the thing WASNT RUNNING CORRECTLY.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
8/20/14 10:58 a.m.

If you want a true pre-runner, then i'd worry a lot more about the suspension side of things than the power. Find which rig has the cheapest path to the suspension you need, then fin how to make power in that vehicle.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
8/20/14 11:02 a.m.

The only time I got my truck (2wd Dakota) stuck was an attempt at driving on the beach at the Outer Banks. Fortunately some kind (and very drunk) souls in a Jeep pulled us out. I used to love hooning in the snow though. My attempt at a pre-runner was to throw on some knobby AT tires.

My V6 wasn't "fast" but quick enough and the torque was more than adequate. It was a manual and I rarely used 1st gear.

solfly
solfly Reader
8/20/14 11:06 a.m.

if you're really looking for a prerunner platform the ranger's front suspension is more suited to it than the s10

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
8/20/14 11:14 a.m.

Google images for chevy prerunner returned loads of full sizes and so far no s10s.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
8/20/14 1:39 p.m.

for the most part the ranger is gonna be the best budget prerunner, you can get a later (98+ i think?) that has ifs and there are plenty of long travel kits for or if your looking for some more travel get an older one with the twin I-beams, those things are made to travel!

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
8/20/14 3:28 p.m.

I've started thinking about this problem way too much.

The Ram50 apparently came with a variation of the Mitsubishi 4G63 (albeit with an 8-valve, SOHC head). I wonder how available those things are these days, with all the rust?

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/20/14 3:36 p.m.

I like this thread. There are several "S10 v8 projects" in my local craigslists.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
8/20/14 3:58 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: I've started thinking about this problem way too much. The Ram50 apparently came with a variation of the Mitsubishi 4G63 (albeit with an 8-valve, SOHC head). I wonder how available those things are these days, with all the rust?

Don't really need to worry about the engine. From what I recall a 4g turbo goes in just as easily on a 2.6 model as it does a 2.

Rust isn't the issue, price is. If my area is any indication, Ram 50s are made out of gold under the paint, because everyone wants at least 600 bucks too much for their ragged ass pile.

mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
8/20/14 6:04 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Grizz wrote: 1st gen Dak + 318 or 360. Or if you're feeling silly you could go full retard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxkYMe2keS8
But he said he wanted something fast. 318 Dakota's weren't.

That's bull Bob. My '93 V8 Dakota ran high 14's off the showroom floor and with just a little help from a computer swap, freed up exhaust, CAI and some stickier tires it ran in the mid 13's all day long. It was a hoot to humiliate the fanbois in the Lightnings and 454 Super Slugs. My 2nd Dak, a fully loaded 2000 R/T club cab would run 15 oh's.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
8/20/14 6:34 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: I've started thinking about this problem way too much. The Ram50 apparently came with a variation of the Mitsubishi 4G63 (albeit with an 8-valve, SOHC head). I wonder how available those things are these days, with all the rust?

Here is a Ram 50 for $900 OBO. It is a 4x4 though. http://eastoregon.craigslist.org/cto/4605709109.html

Here is a non runner 2wd for $400. http://eastoregon.craigslist.org/cto/4562278493.html

These are both from the land of no rust out by me.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
8/20/14 7:21 p.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

You make me sad

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
8/20/14 9:39 p.m.

Cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Other-Pickups-pick-up-1989-Dodge-Ram50-Mitsubishi-MightyMax-truck-with-G54B-2-6-TURBO-STARION-/131271825872?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e906919d0&item=131271825872&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
8/20/14 10:06 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: If you want a true pre-runner, then i'd worry a lot more about the suspension side of things than the power.

That's not really Chris's M.O.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
8/20/14 11:03 p.m.
Grizz wrote: In reply to rebelgtp: You make me sad

I do what I can.

ok how about this

plus this?

With a dash of

you get this....Make sure to turn your speakers on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ivUbc1fAEQ

Opti
Opti Reader
8/21/14 9:44 p.m.

5.3 Single Cab Short bed. T56 Swap & 4.10. The mod the 5.3 as you can. Good news is with a truck you have lots of room for all the awesome LS intakes like the Fast LSXR/T 102 and the Edelbrock Plo Flo XT. What I would give for a PF XT to fit under a vette hood.

Pictar of Edelbrock intake to showcase its awesomeness.

They make alot of power and they are cheap compared to a Fast. Well everything is cheap compared to a fast. A buddy has like 1800 in his LSX R/T 102 setup.

Cammed 5.3 w/ T56 Racing

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
8/21/14 10:19 p.m.
Opti wrote: 5.3 Single Cab Short bed. T56 Swap & 4.10. The mod the 5.3 as you can. Good news is with a truck you have lots of room for all the awesome LS intakes like the Fast LSXR/T 102 and the Edelbrock Plo Flo XT. What I would give for a PF XT to fit under a vette hood. Pictar of Edelbrock intake to showcase its awesomeness. They make alot of power and they are cheap compared to a Fast. Well everything is cheap compared to a fast. A buddy has like 1800 in his LSX R/T 102 setup. Cammed 5.3 w/ T56 Racing

I want to do this to my truck in the worst way. It's a crew cab, but I want a T56 and that intake. Badly.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0CD6J34iCRQHPD2te6Nk7kpvvLbNB08iqfc77ATjSDQvqu5k64V6LE1NfnYb3Fi5