1 2 3 4 5 6
DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
1/31/19 8:39 a.m.

Porsche Recaro seats from, like, everything from the mid-70s to the late 80s...

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/31/19 9:01 a.m.

The recaros that came stock in my '91 VW GTi 16v were AWESOME!  The best seats ever, I could drive 14 hours and get out feeling fine.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
2/1/19 12:46 a.m.

Any other cheap sport seats available? I love the idea of grabbing one for $50 bucks from a yard for reupholstery rather than spending hundreds on a new recaro.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/1/19 9:01 a.m.

When you take a seat an install it in a different car you are drastically changing almost everything about how you sit in it.  The only thing you retain is the visual design, shape, dress cover, and foam composition.  Seating height, angle, belt locations, and how you interact with everything is going to be different, so do not expect comfort to be maintained in a different platform.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/19 10:33 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

THIS.

My RX-7's seats are great in part because the cabin puts my knees up high, and my feet are only about 4" lower than my butt.  If they were in, say, a truck, they would be phenomenally uncomfortable because more pressure would be put on the middle of the leg, levering the femur up into the pelvis.   (The reason I do NOT like Volvo seats - the cushion is too high for the shape)  And the reverse would be true, truck seats would have you sliding forward all the time.

A lot of good seating really starts with the driving position.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
2/1/19 11:06 a.m.

Okay, neat.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
2/1/19 11:24 a.m.

The Lear-Siegler  seats in my '84 Indy Fiero.

Next in line would be the seats in my Volvo 850T

chaparral
chaparral Dork
2/1/19 12:18 p.m.

'07 Mazdaspeed6 seats - or for that matter any Mazda sedan seat. 12-hour fast trips with no trouble whatsoever.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
2/1/19 12:24 p.m.

2005 Pontiac GTO.

Truly amazing touring seats. Honestly blows my 2006 5 series seats out of the water.

Image result for 2005 gto front seat

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/1/19 2:52 p.m.

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

I do remember sitting in one of these at a car show and thinking how nice the seats were.

stumpmj350
stumpmj350 New Reader
2/1/19 2:55 p.m.

Second generation Cayenne 14 way power seats.  They fit my 5' tall wife and 6' 2" me equally well.  She has four herniated discs and can sit in them for hours without complaint.  Equally good for me.

We we're planning on buying a CX-9 and ended up with the Cayenne just because of the seats.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
2/1/19 11:19 p.m.

I don't change cars often, so for me it would be my 86.5 (Mk, III) Supra.  That was about 30 years ago, haven't had anything near as comfortable since.  Great long distance car, too, very quiet, smooth, and capable.  Totally helpless in snow. though.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
2/2/19 1:28 a.m.

In reply to midniteson :

Hands down the simple bench seat in 90’s Chevy pickups. I’ve crossed the country non-stop,  well non rest stop. From Minneapolis to San Diego.  from Minneapolis to Miami. 

I spent as much as 36 hours straight in that seat. When sleep finally got the best of me, I’d pull into a roadside rest stop, tuck away the seat belts,  and go to sleep on that seat. 

20 years I sat there. 371,000 miles. 

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
2/2/19 9:23 a.m.

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

I test drove a sketchy one that I thankfully didn't buy, but hot diggity the interior is comfy, front and rear.

Shaun
Shaun Dork
2/2/19 11:15 a.m.
Good info-  Thanks!
Knurled. said:
Shaun said:

I had to custom mount it low in the back of the seat pan really high in the front, but the Honda S2000 seat  in my 96 civic is surprisingly comfortable and very laterally supportive.  Unfortunately It offers me NO neck or head protection and Im kinda spooked....  The Volvos seat excel at that.  Hmmm.

Read an article a ways back about safety engineers at Volvo.  Apparently, they would go visit with people who had collisions in Volvos and would inquire about their injuries, because they had already done so much to prevent deaths that their new focus was on that.  They did some interesting things, like a cardboard tube in the door panel of one model:  It damped and delayed the blow of a 7-millisecond side hit by one millisecond, and this was the difference between a broken arm or not.

The article writer noted that everybody on this team of analysts had the headrest tilted as far forward as possible.

This commenter notes that his S40 was the only car he ever owned that had a headrest that could actually be used as a headrest.  On everything else, it was just something that was on the top of the seat.  The seats themselves sucked, and it took 10,000mi of driving with the seatbelt pulled super-tight to break it in to where it sucked less, and then the stitching holding the hard leather broke apart, but the headrest was a nice feature.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/2/19 10:57 p.m.

For one of our contracts we got the luxury service at the Frankfurt airport.  This is a nice seat.....

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
2/3/19 1:31 a.m.

My daughters last car. My mom bought it new and gave it to my daughter when she turned 16.  2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited.  Hands down the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven, particularly on long road trips.  I could drive that thing for 8 hours straight and not even feel like I'd been driving at all.  What a great car it was. She just traded it in on a 2018 Mazda CX-5.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/19 2:00 a.m.

C5 Z06

i lied

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/19 2:08 a.m.
Cotton said:

How about motorcycle seats?  The stock seats on both my BMW k1200s and k1300s sucked....bad.  The stock seat on my old Yamaha yzf600 was great and I could ride until I needed fuel,  then fill up and get right back on.

GS seats are known to bring the suck too.  Sargent is always a good upgrade if you’re planning to do serious miles.  My body was racked after just 300 miles in a day on my stock seated GS Adventure 

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
2/3/19 10:24 a.m.

‘04 Cadillac CTS and 02-07 Saab 9-5 sport seats.  I heard they changed the CTS seats later on though. 

midniteson
midniteson Reader
2/3/19 11:42 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I am actually planning on getting a 90's chevy truck as a low buck tow rig for towing my cars to different road courses down the West coast so this is pretty awesome to hear.. 

I think i will wind up sleeping on the bench seat as well, although i am debating on a suburban so i can sleep in the back a bit more comfortably.. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
2/4/19 6:49 a.m.

In reply to midniteson :

I’m 5’9” and weigh 285 pounds. Plus I’m an old geezer bought it at 48 sold it at 68. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/19 7:11 a.m.

1995 integra GSR hatch, cloth.   so good.

1988 civic DX sedan, cloth.   a pretty close second.

1996 probe GT, cloth.

1986 944, sport seat option, leather.

Indecisiverock
Indecisiverock New Reader
2/4/19 8:52 a.m.

1986 Toyota Cressida with the plush seats, followed by the sport seats in the same year cressida. Third would be a 93 LS400.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/4/19 11:41 a.m.

My wife’s 1991 Lincoln Continental.  That was the only thing good about that car.  

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lVpSgczHVzVtSYywYeEoodCyPDAyIt5yosJEAci7a3R8v36bRMt4zq7HwdLMiAqy