Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/6/19 3:10 p.m.

So, as the title says, what current production vehicle has the most compact SLA front suspension?  If not current production, what about something that went out of production within (at most) the last 10 years?  Before anyone shouts Civic's they are probably too old.  This is actually for a demo unit, not a project car. It doesn't need to be something with the best handling, but being an SLA is important.  I'd need to be able to walk into a dealer and order all the parts, upper and lower control arms, knuckle, hub, ball joints etc.

Thank you Borg!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/19 3:13 p.m.

Do you want something readily available in the USA? Does it need to be automotive? If so I can’t imagine anything  but Miata as being the answer. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/19 3:14 p.m.

I remember the RX8 has some stubby little T-rex arms on the rear SLA suspension. Therefore the NC Miata may also be worth checking out.

Edit: D'oh, forgot currently in production. That makes the only likely candidates to be Subaru, Honda, and the ND.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/6/19 3:24 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Do you want something readily available in the USA? Does it need to be automotive? If so I can’t imagine anything  but Miata as being the answer. 

USA Ideally, but it could be anywhere in the world, Europe or Korea is the next best.  I can't believe I didn't think of the Miata.  Of to look at ND front suspension pics on googlymoogly now,

Thanks

aw614
aw614 Reader
8/6/19 3:25 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

So, as the title says, what current production vehicle has the most compact SLA front suspension?  If not current production, what about something that went out of production within (at most) the last 10 years?  Before anyone shouts Civic's they are probably too old.  This is actually for a demo unit, not a project car. It doesn't need to be something with the best handling, but being an SLA is important.  I'd need to be able to walk into a dealer and order all the parts, upper and lower control arms, knuckle, hub, ball joints etc.

Thank you Borg!

The 09-12 accord and 10-14 were SLA, but Miatas Im guessing are smaller? The Lexus IS is still in production and SLA

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/6/19 3:29 p.m.

ND looks to be a winner.  An added benefit is that it's mounted on a subframe so we can use a cut down the subframe to mount it without having to build out own to mimic the installation.  

Outstanding chaps and chappets.  Thank you.

GRM solves a work issue in 10 mins flat!

GameboyRMH
8/6/19 3:35 p.m.

You're doing all this awesome stuff at work while I just finished the day by uploading an article about some stupid blockchain nonsense that makes me stop and think about how dumb the world is...I hate you cheeky

No Time
No Time Dork
8/6/19 3:42 p.m.

If you are willing to look beyond automotive application you can probably go with any of the current atvs or side by sides  

Alternative automotive might be the Hyundai Elantra sport (2019), but I don’t know what they consider rear multilink. 

djsilver
djsilver Reader
8/6/19 3:54 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

ND looks to be a winner.  An added benefit is that it's mounted on a subframe so we can use a cut down the subframe to mount it without having to build out own to mimic the installation.  

Outstanding chaps and chappets.  Thank you.

GRM solves a work issue in 10 mins flat!

I believe the ND rear is a multilink with "virtual" upper balljoint, but the earlier versions have upper and lower A-arms.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/7/19 7:07 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

You're doing all this awesome stuff at work while I just finished the day by uploading an article about some stupid blockchain nonsense that makes me stop and think about how dumb the world is...I hate you cheeky

Don't feel bad I spent the last two days doing "self evalutations, completing a talent profile, and setting FY20 goals."

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/7/19 7:21 a.m.
No Time said:

If you are willing to look beyond automotive application you can probably go with any of the current atvs or side by sides  

Alternative automotive might be the Hyundai Elantra sport (2019), but I don’t know what they consider rear multilink. 

ATVs were the first thing that came to mind for me too. They've typically been using SLA front suspensions, and are pretty tiny.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/7/19 7:27 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestions.  ATV's, buggies, carts etc. were the first thought here, but we wanted something that was an actual automotive application.  Also, you'd be surprised at how long the arms are on some of these vehicles as they are designed for a lot of travel being off road, so the arms can get quite long.

I feel guilty that people are talking about my fun job.  Don't get me wrong, I'm loving being back in work, and it's nice to be involved with engineering again after 15 years of pure paper pushing and people / business management.  But as fun as it is, it doesn't feel as glamorous as sitting in the Design studio watching the next get Bronco, Mustang, electric cars etc. taking shape in clay right outside my office.  Thanks for the reality check peeps.

Anyway, if this project comes to anything I'll tell you all about it in a few years!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/19 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I’m glad you were able to find work so quickly, congrats!

chaparral
chaparral Dork
8/7/19 9:48 a.m.

Are you my new coworker at Magna?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/19 9:51 a.m.

There is an ND front subframe sitting on the floor just outside my office right now if you want any pics. I have an NC front subframe (out of production in the last 10 years) sitting at home if that's preferred.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/7/19 9:52 a.m.

Nope.  I'm at a Korean tier one called Iljin (ILJIN)  their main business is wheel bearings.  We supply all of Kia/Hyndai, lot's to the big three and several Euro OEM's.  They also do Chassis and Suspension components.  I now work in 'Chassis Product Innovation' developing new Chassis technologies.  We've got several programs going on and this is just for a demo/show rig.

Thanks all.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/7/19 10:10 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Wait, I thought all Subarus were MacStrut? 

GameboyRMH
8/7/19 10:25 a.m.
CyberEric said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Wait, I thought all Subarus were MacStrut? 

Nope, they've used a lot of SLA in the past and still do, although MacStruts are becoming more common on newer models, especially on the front.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wkGjMTqUHxDRX0W9JeV4jM3sEndwppQKFoRoiklGZdX8rER9NuVRj6tvq4M4vrfD