1 2 3 4
Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/23/15 8:56 p.m.

Not a race car. A powerful, comfortable car that is capable of crossing countries at highly illegal speeds without braking a sweat. Which car would you buy and what car would you build?

I'd buy a Jaguar XKR. I've always found something romantic about them.

I'd build a late second gen Trans Am. Lot's of chassis stiffening, lot's of sound deadening, chase away all the interior rattles and squeaks like an OCD methhead. Would have to have around 450-500hp, 6 speed transmission, Recaro seats. Basically a pro touring build with an emphasis on comfort.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
4/23/15 9:07 p.m.

Is this a general question? Or a what we can afford question?

General: any Aston Martin

My budget: an Infinity Q45

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/23/15 9:09 p.m.

The one that runs at the time.....

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/23/15 9:11 p.m.

General, just bored and thought I would throw out a question that's been bouncing around in my head the last couple days. Although a sedan doesn't really get my heart pounding the way I feel a GT car should.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/23/15 9:16 p.m.

I've only ever once gone cross-country (from Rhode Island to Seattle and back 3 years later). I was only 1 and 4 years old when I rode shotgun in it for the entire trip. I'm sure it was really, really pleasant. But I'm thinking that when they put the GT badge on this car, it was more for the "racing" sort of GT, rather than "grand touring" lol. Triumph GT6. It would be at the bottom of my list, lol.

My choices:

1. "Money is no object choice" - BMW M6, the current one.
  2. "Something modern I can actually afford choice" - Hyundai Genesis Coupe with the 3.8 V6 (with the R-spec seats, because they are outstanding)
  3. "Something old-school, assuming it could reliably make the trip" - Porsche 928
  4. "Something I can't get, and that would never make it anyhow and is probably not comfortable at all in the first place for a long trip" - Jensen Interceptor

What I'd probably actually get: Z3 ///M Coupe

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/23/15 9:16 p.m.

Lotus Carlton.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/23/15 9:23 p.m.
irish44j wrote: 2. "Something modern I can actually afford choice" - Hyundai Genesis Coupe with the 3.8 V6 What I'd probably actually get: Z3 ///M Coupe

I think the M coupe would be awesome. The Genesis coupe is a little outside the box but a good choice I feel.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/15 9:25 p.m.

1987 928s4

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
4/23/15 9:27 p.m.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
4/23/15 10:15 p.m.

I'm of an age and disposition that say inline 6, with a nod to the track. So, a little short on the "comfort," and if I had the money, Aston Superleggera DB 4.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
4/23/15 10:30 p.m.

Good call on the BMW 8 series.

Money no object: Mercedes SLS AMG

Realistic choice: Porsche 996 Carrera 4s

Build project: resto-mod GM A-body. Put an LS crate motor in it with modern brakes and suspension. Sound deadening and a nice interior and you're set.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/23/15 10:46 p.m.

I had one once... 1988 535is

It would do 120 all day long in lovely leather buckets. Handled pretty good for a car of it's era. Made good noises too. It was everything you need, nothing you don't. I miss it.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
4/23/15 10:51 p.m.

Jensen Interceptor, big block power and a very nice interior.

Or more to your liking.

I like this myself

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
4/23/15 10:56 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: Good call on the BMW 8 series.

An 8 series would be a total bear to fuel and maintain (esp. the V-12), but it's sexy, plush, handles well for its girth, and goes like stink. In other words, the ideal Grand Tourer.

Opti
Opti Reader
4/24/15 12:25 a.m.

I like the 8 series, never driven one but have been checking Clist every few months for the last couple years for one.

Can afford: Base model C5, ride nice and 6 speed is great for high speed cruising. Cant Afford: SLS65. Twin Turbo V12 with 700 something odd torques available, cant even image this thing from a roll of about 60 or 70, will probably pass anything, plus its a modern merc so its probably comfortable and has a bunch of gadgets.

My pick money no object: Ferrari 355 probably one of my favorite cars of all time or a DB9

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
4/24/15 12:42 a.m.

Money no object... 365GTB4...

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
4/24/15 1:33 a.m.

Why is the E39 M5 or 540i one of the default choices? Plush interior and comfy suspension, but with the V8 growl.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
4/24/15 2:55 a.m.

build? 1988 thunderbird turbocupe. manual T56 swap, 2.5 block, esslinger cam, hybrid T3/T4oE, big intercooler, 400HP reliably, with 30 mpg highway. i had one, i miss it. interior, remove all the gauges and radio, replace with two tablets. one for engine control and gauges, the other for infotainment. new foam and leather seats, 245/55/16 tires, brembo brakes. factory moon roof, rear posi, and dealer body kit. BIG fog lights.

buy? 06 Pontiac GTO, 6.0, 6 speed, kangaroo leather. only mod would be better wheels, rubber, brakes, and clutch.

i like this game...

-J0N

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/24/15 5:40 a.m.

My ideal Grand Tourer would be a

V8 Vantage

My realistic budget Grand Tourer would be a

545i 6-speed.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/24/15 6:12 a.m.

Money is no object: Aston Martin.

Money is an object: T-Bird Supercoupe.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/24/15 6:18 a.m.

Just about to put 5k miles on the CTSV wagon in a week. It really is a fantastic car. And it's quiet which reduces fatigue on long drives.
If I were to build one it would be a 1/2 ton truck. I'd re-do the suspension. Big sway bars. Soften the rear quite a lot but add airbags to add back towing/load capacity.
Towing?
Yes, because I can't count the number of incredibly cool cars I could have bought while wandering the country but didn't because I had no way to get them back home. With a truck I'm a rented trailer away from dragging home awesomeness no matter where I roam.
Oh, and I'd put in a set of the Recaros from the V. I love those seats.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/24/15 6:29 a.m.

For me?

I'd buy a new Taurus SHO.

Done.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
4/24/15 6:45 a.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: buy? 06 Pontiac GTO, 6.0, 6 speed, kangaroo leather. only mod would be better wheels, rubber, brakes, and clutch.

I need to drive one of these. I've often wondered the same. It seems people mainly knock these in that they have limitations when trying to make a track car... Limited tire fitment, little too heavy, etc.

BUT, I've thought as a "grand tourer" you're not looking for 10/10ths handling. You get a 6.0 LS/T56 drivetrain wrapped up in an understated body (good for flying under radar) and a nicer interior than virtually anything GM was putting out at the time, and it'll knock out nearly 30mpg on extended highway trips.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
4/24/15 6:48 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/24/15 7:28 a.m.

XJ S cabriolet (not the convertible) 6 cyl engine and 5 speed, add a blower from an early XJR.

Euro spec M6, the real one not the 21st century abortion

60's Lincoln continental with Pro Touring type build. Twin turbo big block and more sound deadening than an early Civic weighs.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UGimjFqxrafM5kFbHt3lV1uDgZRI1ufAtgHcL2TgpmpZs4w3Xqjw5CoU5TnGOEaZ