1 2 3 4
SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
4/24/15 2:27 p.m.

If you are taking more than one passenger, the Lexus LS400/430's are pretty hard to beat.

Nick_Comstock wrote: I'd build a late second gen Trans Am. Lot's of chassis stiffening, lot's of sound deadening, chase away all the interior rattles and squeaks like an OCD methhead. Would have to have around 450-500hp, 6 speed transmission, Recaro seats. Basically a pro touring build with an emphasis on comfort.

I'm working on something along those lines right now. Actually other than the gearing my 81 TA is a pretty good tourer as it sits. Main downside of the 2nd gen for roadtripping is that for a car its size the trunk is tiny and mostly taken up by the spare tire. In Smokey and the Bandit Burt and Sally put their luggage (what there was of it) in the back seat, I don't think you ever see them open the trunk.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
4/24/15 2:46 p.m.

My GRM answer: A 3000GT VR-4. I drove a Dodge Stealth ES (the DOHC one only produced until 1993) back and forth from Pennsylvania to Florida a couple times and had very few problems with fatigue and the trunk held a surprising amount of stuff.

Money is no object answer: A Ferrari FF. Yea yea it eats fuel but it can fit 4 full sized adults and in that Tour De France Blue, oh good lord.

All that said since I don't have 200k lying around and don't really feel like being stranded on the side of the road on a regular basis: an E61 M5 Touring.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/24/15 3:31 p.m.

this:

plus:

and tuned to ~ 500 hp & ~1000 lb/ft and a low (numerically) rear gear for high speed cruising.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/15 3:40 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

that's quite true, I was impressed at the fact that I was about to get my rental Grand Caravan to approach 130 at Sebring earlier this year, if it had had proper tires on it and better pads, it would've almost been enjoyable, opposed to terrifying

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
4/24/15 3:47 p.m.

A CL55. Fast, quiet, and fairly reliable.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/24/15 5:36 p.m.
Jay_W wrote: I reckon my ultimate grand touring car is the one I just recently picked up as my DD. 03 Brabus E55 K8. Damn you Ebay....

I need to know more about this car and your experience with it.

Also, I'm not going to go on a rant about what anyone else picks. But any vehicle out there is capable of being driven long distances. To me what sets a good GT car apart from ordinary transportation is that it is something special, either in the way it drives or looks, or just in the way it makes you feel. And don't get me wrong, I have some badass minivan builds squirreled away back in the deep recesses of my brain, but a GT does not a minivan make. Me thinks some of you are missing the point.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/24/15 5:36 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote: this: plus: and tuned to ~ 500 hp & ~1000 lb/ft and a low (numerically) rear gear for high speed cruising.

I've also had these thoughts...

Raze
Raze UltraDork
4/24/15 6:07 p.m.

Having driven 1000 mile trips in a single sitting over 50 times...in 5 different vehicles I'm going to say a Cadillac Eldorado...magneomagic dampers...2 doors...sofa leather plushness...300HP...used to set the cruise at 120 on I85 and take a nap...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/24/15 6:08 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote:
edizzle89 wrote: this: plus: and tuned to ~ 500 hp & ~1000 lb/ft and a low (numerically) rear gear for high speed cruising.
I've also had these thoughts...

I can get on board with the Caddy, but I'll never understand the fascination around here with oil burners for anything but load haulers

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
4/24/15 6:19 p.m.

There have been several posts with big old GM cars. I'm generally on board with the idea, having owned a '61 Bonneville, a '65 Grand Prix and a '71 Catalina, but the convertible version isn't so great. I used to have a '61 Bonneville convertible, and while it was great out on the highway, the sun and wind will beat you up on a long trip.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/24/15 6:28 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Because better than 9mpg's and all the tourques?

Will
Will SuperDork
4/24/15 6:37 p.m.

Not that there are referees to decide this sort of thing, but aren't grand tourers traditionally 2-doors? I see a lot of sedans here.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/24/15 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Will:

Traditionally, yes. But being GRM I'm not surprised by this, I am surprised I haven't seen a V8 Miata mentioned yet.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/24/15 6:50 p.m.

Or a hatchback. (runs for cover.)

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/24/15 6:54 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

This thing sorta has a hatchback and it sorta could be considered a gran turismo...

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
4/24/15 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock:

I have only put a few hundred miles on it but so far, it kicks so so so so much butt it is simply ridiculous. Previous owner bought it new, then sent it to Brabus US HQ in California and gave em close to 100 grand to K8-ize thing. CF hood and decklid and sills and splitter, very much uograded interior, 15 or 20 grand into the engine bay, the only place the guy scrimped was not doing the 25k 12 piston brakes and he didn't do the limited slip diff. I will keave the brakes alone. 8 piston calipers seem to be up to the task, but.a lsd is going to happen. Other than that, it is perfect. Heated ventilated and massage seats with the redonkulous active side bolsters, a dyno sheet showing 505 and 561 at the wheels, a fantasic noise, utter civility and utter savagry at the twitch of your toe. I just... adore it.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/15 7:42 p.m.

I can attest to the GTO being a pretty great grand tourer. Amazing seats, plenty of power, and mid-20s for mileage. Stealthy, too.

But I have to (as always) go back to the 80s and say either 928 or E24. To me, a "grand tourer" is a coupe, not a sedan.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
4/24/15 8:24 p.m.

Highly boosted Volvo wagon. I have a 300 mile road trip tomorrow. Still miss (all of) mine.

Totally rethinking not looking for a newer R or the right V50.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
4/24/15 9:00 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: My first thought was Monaro/GTO but they're just not that interesting to me so... If money was no object my ideal long distance cruiser would be a nice Mark VII with a no-expense-spared suspension refresh and then Coyote/6 speed swap... Anything is possible if you throw money at it. Or an XK8 because sexy.

I was thinking of something along the same lines, except I'd probably keep the pushrods. Aluminum heads, mild cam, 331 stroker, etc. I'd shoot for around 450 lb/ft and 350 hp.

Then I'd drop it off at Maximum Motorsports and say, "I want decent ride quality, 50/50 weight distribution and 1g sustained cornering grip."

And I would want it to look and sound close to stock...

Storz
Storz Dork
4/25/15 7:11 a.m.

I love BMWs but don't think they are great GT cars, even the big comfy ones are "busy" on the highway compared with others I've driven.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
4/25/15 4:10 p.m.

For modern cars I like the suggestion of a Jag XK8.

For older cars there are lots of options. One I still own and enjoy for easy high speed cruising is this one:

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/25/15 4:59 p.m.

The ultimate gt imho is Ferrari FF.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/25/15 5:01 p.m.

But in a reasonable price range…….

The0retical
The0retical Dork
4/25/15 5:25 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to Appleseed: This thing sorta has a hatchback and it sorta could be considered a gran turismo...

God I saw a 3series GT and 5series GT driving back from San Diego the other day. I didn't evern know they existed until I saw the badges on the heinously styled rear end.

Does Germany have a subset of drunk redneck engineers like the deep south does?

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/25/15 7:01 p.m.

Going to think outside the box here. We want cross continent comfy, fast, reliable of course, and let's say decent enough fuel economy. Here's what comes to mind based on my experience. How about an early 2000's F350 dually diesel 4 X 2 that's been tuned up a bit? You won't find a more comfortable ride. The long wheelbase makes it ride like a caddy. it's not Ferrari fast or even close but it is plenty fast enough. Not only all that but it tows a sports car and enclosed trailer with aplomb.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XnRiRJAke0WJZkJ7McJterEaEu2ilKDLpQ7MldSBvaUSlyXffDiwgBuddPC2ucND