ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/14 4:28 p.m.

I think I should purchase a fire extinguisher for both my M3 and my Miata. I do HPDE events with both, and it seems like a good just in case thing. Any tips or recommendations? I looked online at both Bimmerworld and Turner and didn't see anything obvious. Didn't check FM yet.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
1/19/14 4:39 p.m.

First: One mounted with a solid metal bracket bolted to metal structure - NEVER one on a plastic bracket or anchored to plastic trim.

I'd probably go with one of those 1A-10B-10C rated ones at a minimum. If it fits in the budget, Halon is way better than dry chemical - no cleanup needed if you use it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/14 5:46 p.m.

and don't mount it to the a pillar

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/19/14 5:49 p.m.

10 BC

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/19/14 5:51 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: and don't mount it to the a pillar

haters gonna hate yo (and check out my nice stove on the curb)

olpro
olpro New Reader
1/19/14 6:39 p.m.

My RCR Superlite Razor interior. The fire extinguisher is a main feature of the IP.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/19/14 6:41 p.m.

This thread is relative to my interests

mw
mw Dork
1/19/14 8:00 p.m.

Rob, In the interest of job security, I recommend not getting one. If you must, a 10bc should be fine.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/19/14 9:20 p.m.

Hillclimbs require ABC. Metal bracket with two straps.

Mmadness
Mmadness HalfDork
1/20/14 5:05 a.m.

If you find your car on fire on the road don't use the extinguisher, let her burn. Insurance will cover a car fire, but not corrosion due to a fire extinguisher

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/14 6:07 a.m.
mw wrote: Rob, In the interest of job security, I recommend not getting one. If you must, a 10bc should be fine.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/20/14 1:53 p.m.
Mmadness wrote: If you find your car on fire on the road don't use the extinguisher, let her burn. Insurance will cover a car fire, but not corrosion due to a fire extinguisher

I have been involved with a car fire and tried to put it out with a Fire Ext. All they do is buy time to get the people out. We used up 5 of them on a VW Golf and the FD still had to finish the job.

Edit: Broken Fuel Line just as FYI

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
1/20/14 2:35 p.m.

I used one to put out a burning fuel soaked air filter on a Cessna 172. It was a halon unit.

mw
mw Dork
1/20/14 3:14 p.m.

I have used them to put out small fires in cars, but you've got to be quick and hope fuel isn't still feeding the fire. It makes a horrible mess. A co2 extinguisher is nice since there's no mess at all, but they don't usually come in small sizes.

I once used a co2 extinguisher to put out a grease fire in the oven when making Yorkshire puddings. Most of the Yorkshires were still good to eat.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/14 5:59 p.m.
mw wrote: I have used them to put out small fires in cars, but you've got to be quick and hope fuel isn't still feeding the fire. It makes a horrible mess. A co2 extinguisher is nice since there's no mess at all, but they don't usually come in small sizes. I once used a co2 extinguisher to put out a grease fire in the oven when making Yorkshire puddings. Most of the Yorkshires were still good to eat.

That's because you are a Top Chef contender.

pirate
pirate Reader
1/21/14 7:32 p.m.

The standard powder type fire extingushers are inexpesive however the expended powder is very corrosive. What is not damaged by the fire will be by the powder especially wiring systems. The powder is very fine and almost impossible to clean up, water only drives it deeper into hard to get at places. The Halon units are probably the answer for cars but are quite expensive compared to the ABC types. I have a Safecraft with a billet bracket mounted to the floor in front of the seat. However, any type of fire extigusher is a good one when you need it!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
1/21/14 8:39 p.m.

If you want one to meet spec requirements, get the cheapest and smallest version that will meet rule requirements. If the car catches fire, get out and watch it from a safe distance.

If you want to be able to put a fire out, any fire you might encounter, get the biggest ABC powder type you can find and handle. You don't find cute little extinguishers on fire trucks for a reason.

If you're serious about putting out fires, get two. Practice with the first one. Most people don't put a fire out with an extinguisher because they don't know how to use it. They fire it from too far away, and they fire it at the wrong thing, usually the flames.

I've put out a fair number of fires over the years, using fire extinguishers even. Including several burning cars. At no time have I ever complained about having a big extinguisher. Have fussed about some little ones before.

Powder tends to cake btw, so after a while, it's not uncommon to need to flip the extinguisher over and bang it on the ground a time or two in order to get the powder to actually come out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lTv6cv7eKOwAh3oMTWkU5hzBvClKSEJkdfgPqgjlyKPqud1IyoAD6Gr0TWFALVMW