1 2 3 4
gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/18 7:45 p.m.

That reminds me just how much attention the M5 gets. Both sexes, all ages. Everything from "cool car" to "is it fast?"(hint-nope.)  To "does it have a v-8?" (also nope). The most asked question is "what year is it?" and when they find out it's a 1988 they invariably comment on how great the paint looks. I can't think of a negative comment I've gotten since I bought it. I did have a bro-dozer try and run me off the road one day. So maybe that was a negative comment. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
5/23/18 4:17 a.m.

The e46 usually gets kids trying to race it and snobby comments from anyone over the age of 25 who don't realize how cheap an 18 year old BMW is. I've been dailying it to the plant since the Mazda is down and idk if I've ever seen a car look so out of place at a factory lol. 

WhiteAndGold
WhiteAndGold New Reader
5/23/18 9:30 a.m.

The Spit-6 gets lots of attention, all ages and genders. Had an older guy ask me what I wanted for it literally the day I brought it home, I was still coated in dust and sweat from the long ride back from Detroit. Purdue kids love it when I drive around here in Lafayette, can't wait to get it back on the road once I'm set up in my new place.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
5/23/18 10:48 a.m.

Mixed bag.  The only consistent response is from brodozers who want try to roll coal on it if the top is down.  I mean, seriously, do you have to fill out a form agreeing to treat strangers like E36 M3 to buy one of those things?

My favorite response was from a kid at the gas station.  He was about four.  "Hey mister! Hey Mister!"  Hey, what's up?  "Cool car!"  Thanks, check this out.  (Popped the headlights up and down)  "Wow, that's SO AWESOME!"  (Apparently, he had never seen pop up's before)

By far the most common question is "what color is that?"  Montego Blue is a pretty interesting color. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
5/23/18 11:13 a.m.

M3 only attracts guys and kids.  Kids are mostly wide eyed at the "race car" and usually too shy to come up and say anything.  Guys look it over and give it "the nod".  Sometimes an enthusiast will come up and talk to me about what all has been done to it. 

Women generally go out of their way to ignore it.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
5/23/18 7:42 p.m.

I still don't understand the middle-aged guy at the gas station who had no idea what my Miata was. He'd never seen one before, according to him.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/18 7:44 p.m.

In reply to ssswitch :

(insert comment about minivan drivers in traffic)

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/23/18 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

AKA: speed bumps

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/23/18 8:25 p.m.

Seal gray 911.  Practically invisible.  I don't think anyone has ever noticed it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
5/23/18 8:28 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:

No one sings or hums "Carry on My Wayward Son" to you in that thing.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
5/23/18 8:34 p.m.

Tonight when stopping for gas, one young kid, I say young but maybe early mid 20s, picking up a sandwich and a drink, clean cut and polite, actually asking permission to take a look, very surprising, one not quite stoner, maybe a hipster, and while driving tonight a thumbs up from a CR-Z driver Other times gassing up, an older woman, some typical not quite car people, and a couple times kit car enthusiasts. The time I broke down the only one to stop was a hot blond, I was shocked and stupid and told her I was all set that AAA was on the way.That will never happen again, the hot blond, not the breaking down.

My 85 Dodge Xplorer Class B van, driven about 1/2 as much, gets about twice as many visitors, comments and questions from both sexes, uh, um, all sexes from ages 8 to 80. Everyone seems to love it, except relatives, they all make fun of it.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
5/23/18 9:08 p.m.

Fred gets ignored or avoided most of the time. Which is fine by me.

Only time he gets attention is when he's working too hard like in the photo here. Mostly people eyeballing the massive pile of E36 M3 in the back held in place with a cargo net for a trailer.

I bet it's the flaking housepaint that does it.

E: The other one is sinking into the yard and only ever has scrappers wondering if I'd sell it. Or it did until I decided that yes, yes I will.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jd8tlhEfvelLCJel6X1MUXS6E74owYB9Yqcc25hssrWuCeqMF4DVFwKOTCcwB1dW