1 2 3 4
Bradlee
Bradlee New Reader
5/20/18 9:34 p.m.

'Just curious what y'all have experienced or often experience regardless of how mundane or crazy. I've much to comment or say from my experiences but lets hear yours first.  

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
5/20/18 9:56 p.m.

The vast majority of people just think it's an old Mazda 6. Rarely does it get a second look. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
5/20/18 10:12 p.m.

WRX - since it's an 09 sedan (the "narrow body") in unexciting black, it attracts basically nobody, except for occasional bros in VW GTIs that want to race at stoplights, but even that's pretty uncommon. It's the one WRX that really flies below the radar - doesn't attract cops either (never pulled over in 160k miles so far!)

Sequioa - actually gets quite a few comments on the street due to my homebuilt roof rack and lights, NASA Rally support stickers, and "RALY CRU" plates (usually hispanic guys, for some reason)

e30 rally car - it definitely gets some looks and thumbs-up on the road, and always makes me laugh when someone in an import tuner tries to race me at a light (I mean, I have like 130hp.....)

Porsche 924S - it gets some looks and glances, but never gotten any overt reaction or direct comments on it, even though it's Guards Red. They probably think I'm a yuppie douchebag....Nobody seems to care about the car much, but a couple of my female friends love my plates ("80S") for some reason.  All strange, since I think it's my coolest car by a wide margin :)

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/18 10:25 p.m.

The S60R attracts nobody.  It's invisible.

The Quantum (RIP) attracted one guy at an informal autocross who came up to me asking "One or two?  One or two??"  I realized much later that he was wondering if the hood had one latch like a VW or two latches like an Audi.  (There is one latch)

The RX-7 gets all sorts of people telling me about the RX-7 they used to have.  And people asking me if it's ported.  And people asking me if it's still rotary powered.  As it sits there brapping along at a 1500rpm idle, like Godzilla's chainsaw if Godzilla was a nuclear mutant lumberjack.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/20/18 10:45 p.m.

I had my 82 Camaro out last Saturday night, and a 40ish year old guy in an Accord had such a chubby for it, his wife was laughing.  First time anybody has given me the classic car thing.  Used to get looked at because of it's autocross abilities, but that is many years in the past.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
5/20/18 10:51 p.m.

The Fiat was fantastic 

I met people from all over the world who had great stories to tell and met an older gentleman from eastern Europe who teared up telling me about how he abandoned his 850 at a border while fleeing the country.

The Falcon attracts homeless people, Chevy and Dodge aficionados who want to tell me why their vehicle choices are so much better than mine and drunk guys who want to tell me about all the muscle cars they used to have and how they all did 140mph after they got their 4:11 gears installed. Frankly the people it attracts are the reason I want rid of it.

Oh, it also is a magnet to college girls. Drive that thing near campus and coeds will lean in the windows at every stop. So if anyone is interested in that action I can make you a deal wink

I'm interested in what attention the mini will garner but expect just a lot of 'will you sell it?" Notes

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/20/18 10:53 p.m.
Knurled. said:

The RX-7 gets all sorts of people telling me about the RX-7 they used to have.  And people asking me if it's ported.  And people asking me if it's still rotary powered.  As it sits there brapping along at a 1500rpm idle, like Godzilla's chainsaw if Godzilla was a nuclear mutant lumberjack.

My FD gets a mixture of reactions.  People telling me about the one they used to own, people asking if it's got an LS, some just admiring it as a survivor.

Kind of surprisingly, very few people want to race -- except when my friends drive it.  One evening we were coming back from dinner after swapping the clutch, my friend was driving, and in the space of 3 traffic light he had six different cars try to race him.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/18 11:20 p.m.

JK Wrangler - pretty much ignored except for a few dudebros (you know the type; sleeveless shirts and flat brimmed hats that talk about their newest vape build). Interestingly, most newer Wranglers I see are being driven by 20-something women. I'm invisible to them sad

CRX - loud ricey exhaust means that every E36 M3box I encounter wants to race. Diesel brotrucks try to run me over. A 32 year old Japanese hatch must threaten their masculinity or something. Guys my age or a bit older will regale their stories from about hooning the CRX they owned in high school, which is cool I guess. This car seems to actively repel the opposite sex.

Hey Jumper K Balls, I'll trade you the Jeep for the Falcon laugh. There is a state college in town LOL.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/21/18 12:41 a.m.

I'm not really used to anything more than awkward staring, although I'm not sure how much of that has anything to do with the vehicles. LOL

However, since I got the flatbed painted I can't take my truck anywhere without having to avoid rednecks like Warren Beatty. I actually have people come knocking on my door asking if it's for sale. Like JKB it has me wanting to get rid of it. 

Edit: When I drug my Datsun home I stopped at a coin-op and had several enthusiastic people come up and.... well it was all Warren Beatty all over again. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/21/18 12:48 a.m.

With the zephyr wagon  other then one older guy in town who trys to buy it because he raced one back when they were new ( actually a really cool looking A/FX classed one). It's usually just guys asking what's In it or the derbybros telling me how it would be a great derby car because there too stupid too notice it's a 5 passenger unibody and not a full size. They give me a headache. Ive actually had derby guys knock on my door and try to buy it. That seems to have stopped since I put the pony wheels on atleast!

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/21/18 6:10 a.m.

The Focus and Neon get next to no reaction. I got one "cool car" from a teenager who probably thought that the Neon was an SRT-4, not just a lowly R/T.

The one time I drove the race van (APV GTP) on the street I saw a few cell phones hanging out windows to get pictures.

However, I get the most reactions from the '76 C20 pickup. "Cool truck." "That's really clean." "What year is it?" are what I typically get. Quite a few thumbs up while I'm driving. To be fair, GM pickups are THE most popular vehicle around the Flint, MI area and most of the remaining trucks of this era around here are mostly rust.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
5/21/18 6:31 a.m.

Hipsters, hipsters, and more hipsters. 

And a pair of pot smoking hitchikers who started jumping up and down when they saw it in Bakersfield. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
5/21/18 6:39 a.m.

Towing- countless random d00ds who want to buy it for $1000 so they can yank out the original 440, swap in a 12v, D60, and 205 and #ROALCOAL in their new Brodozer. 

On the trailer, suprisingly, several couples in their 60s who want to buy it. Which a shame because these are the only serious buyers for any of my vehicles, and the T&C is NOT for sale.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
5/21/18 6:40 a.m.

Absolutely no one.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
5/21/18 6:44 a.m.

My lifted Samurai with Super Swampers, no doors, tailgate or top, always muddy with Sawzalled fenders always attracted pretty females. Many more conversations started with women than with men (not complaining).

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/21/18 6:54 a.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

In my experience with a classic Mini, you'll get a lot of waves but few (I got zero) purchase requests.  Small kids seemed to love it.  It was fun to let them sit in the seat while their parents took pictures.

My 2006 MINI is generally invisible, except sometimes to other MINI drivers.  

Obviously, nobody notices a Grand Caravan.

The Triumphs will get waves, thumbs up, and a number of "what is that?" questions at gas stations.

When I first bought the TDI, I would get a lot of, "you know this is a diesel pump?" comments at fill-ups.  "Yeah... I hope so..."  Less of that as diesels became more common.

The most amusing encounter I've had in one of my cars was driving home at night in my old Spit-6, top down, a few miles from home and a very drunk woman leans out of the back door window of an SUV and asks, "Are you married?" at a stop light.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
5/21/18 6:57 a.m.

Lately I've been dailying a '97 Mustang GT convertible. Only reactions it's gotten are the dude I work with wanting to trade an Escape for it and the woman at the arby's drive through saying her first car was a '98 and she misses it. Nobody else cares as far as I can tell. 

My old D350 got a few compliments from old dudes and jokes from my younger coworkers about being a diesel bro. (Even though it was definitely more old man's farm truck than bro truck)

Nobody cared about the rust bucket '99 Malibu with the wrong color rear bumper and stickers all over the back window.

The '96 Dodge extended cab also gets no response from anybody.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
5/21/18 8:00 a.m.

My current BMW 740i, very little attention. The 330ci ZHP convertible gets waves and admiring glances, and the occasional yell of "nice car" but that's about it. None of them could hod a candle to my old Daytona Spyder replica:

That was the proverbial chick magnet. Cruisin' to the beach I would literally have to kick out women who wanted to just jump in the car and ride around. Moms would want me to tek their daughters out. Guys would ask me to give their girlfriends rides. It was insane. I even had a girl pul lup next to me on the freeway in a Datsun 240Z and ask me to dinner.... Now, much of this was back in the '80s when cruise nights were still a thing. I often wonder what it'd be like now with cars and coffee events...

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
5/21/18 8:19 a.m.

FoST: none, it's invisible

FD: "is it still a rotary?" "what have you done to it?" "how much power does it make?" "is that a wrap?" 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
5/21/18 8:29 a.m.

The most interesting car I've driven was a BMW M Coupe.  That car was polarizing.  Some people loved it, some hated it, but there wasn't much in between.  It definitely got noticed.  One guy thought I had heavily modified a Honda Civic hatchback.  One guy was yelling at me in a Lowes parking lot for not buying an American car.  I didn't bother to yell back that it was built in South Carolina and probably had more US parts content than his Mustang.  My stepmom said it was the ugliest car she had ever seen.  To my face.  I didn't really like her anyway.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/21/18 8:32 a.m.

I rented a Civic Type R and a group of junior high school kids walked by it at a restaurant we were getting out at and told me I had a nice car.   

15 year old daughter rolled her eyes.  

I was impressed the younger generation was looking at cool cars and acknowledged it.  

But in the end it was a group of 7th grade boys that I impressed.  

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/18 8:34 a.m.

By my calculation, I am the second oldest Fiesta ST owner on the planet as one local gentleman has me by a few years. Everyone else is old enough to be my kid. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/21/18 9:03 a.m.

When I posted a photo of the miata on a trailer after buying it, the truck got the most comments on GRM, from the members in the salty road states. It's occasionally gotten a comment from people I've encountered, usually guys in their thirties and forties, and one very enthusiastic woman about 55 that "had one just like it."

The Ralliart wagon is generally invisible, including to radar. Works for me. I've been driving it since 2010, had one "Is that a Ralliart?" the weekend I bought it, and never since. Occasionally people ask about it since it's a wagon, usually mid thirty's men.

The miata's new to me, first comment was a "Cool car!" shouted by one of two 12 year old boys on bikes. I guess that's about right, since the latent 12 year old in me is the reason I bought it!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/21/18 9:28 a.m.

I get a lot of comments in the 1970 Ford F250, ranging from just generic appreciation for an old truck to the "experts" that tell me it's a rebadged truck and isn't a 3/4 ton, and not a blah blah whatever. OK.

The Spyder I have had several comments on, mostly just "nice!" but one guy shouted "Old school!" which confused me but then I realized it is 18 years old. To some people that might be old school.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/21/18 9:30 a.m.

1979 Trans Am: I get a few different types of customers with this one. All are annoying.

Exhibit A: Former high school football player, jorts-wearing, goatee-sporting, Timmy Tuff-Nuts in their mid-40's Tall Tale Teller

"Dood, I had one of doze back in the day! It did 200mph and did the quatah so fast that it spun the earth backwards, dood!"

"Dood, SPIN DA TIRES DOOD!!!"

Exhibit B: The Muscle Car Snob (indistinguishable from Timmy Tuff-Nuts in appearance)

"Dood, those cahhs are DOGS! They are so slow! My (insert slightly earlier muscle car with basically the same drivetrain here, because everything remains stock forever in their section of the Car Guy Multiverse) BLEW THE DOORS OFFA DOZE ALL DA TIME"

Exhibit C: The Know-It-All (that knows all of the incorrect facts)

"Well, actually, they made like two of those Trans Ams with a factory Buick 455 HO with a stick. My neigbor's aunt's boyfriend's brother's friend had one back in the day"

Exhibit D: Everything's For Sale Guy

"I wanna buy your cahhh. Sell it to me, I want to buy it for $3.61 and some rusty paper clips I found in a pahhking lot, khed"

1997 Dodge Dakota: Mercifully, no one cares about this one. laugh

2012 Mazda 3: Aside from the occasional weird old guy at the gas station that will compliment it when it's clean, every once in a blue moon, someone will mistake it for a Mazdaspeed 3 and try to race me. Last time it happened, a stanced 2012ish Civic sedan blew by me in the right lane, and even flipped on the hazards afterwards. Mind you, I was just commuting home in my appliance. I almost crashed while laughing. He almost crashed when he was going over 100mph like an idiot right into the woods. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZRVus35yjUYpP1rdLxkQZZfEVp44IaOX5MvoxWeIbVxccFZyI1QKbUmIR3LLbkmx