1 2 3 4
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/25/20 4:56 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I guess the question is do you want refined, somewhat porky with all the amenities or do you want stripped down loud light snarling monster?

Probably somewhere in between.  The S10 still has most of its interior, the heater works, and it will have a stereo.  A major part of the draw towards building it is having something that looks kind of worn out from the outside (and interior), but is a beast mechanically.  And the whole pride of doing the work.  The main counter to building it myself is most of my projects take way more time and effort than I originally assume they will.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/25/20 5:01 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

It comes down to this: Do you want to own the end product, or have the experience of building it?  I know you've already got a lot of other really cool things to wrench on.

For me, I'm increasingly moving towards the " buy the finished product " side of the question.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/25/20 5:36 p.m.

Mazdaspeed 3 can be done in that range- and it even has speed in the name?

lnlds
lnlds Reader
6/26/20 1:59 a.m.

08+ Cobalt SS turbocharged is worth looking at if fwd is on the table

G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter)
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/26/20 2:21 p.m.

If you can find an N54 that's had all the major failure points addressed (new HPFP, Index 12 injectors, recent water pump and thermostat, newer coils and plugs, no boost leaks), it would be a great option. About $1,500 in parts and a tune gets you around 400 WHP and although it'll be heavier than the S10, it'll be a much more refined experience you can comfortably daily.

calteg
calteg Dork
6/26/20 5:34 p.m.
Error404 said:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/d/elfers-2016-ducati-monster-821/7145981802.html

https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d/orlando-2012-ducati-monster-1100-evo/7134263498.html

https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d/eustis-2005-honda-repsol-1000/7131444269.html

Plenty of speed for 7k.

On a slightly more serious note, I don't know. I got my project mustang for less than 7 but it's been a lot of work and isn't done yet. In my area, I wouldn't bet on getting a reliable, fun, and fast car for under 7k.

Repsol litre bikes make me tingly like my underoos are filled with icy hot 

Will
Will UltraDork
6/26/20 6:42 p.m.
garaithon
garaithon Reader
6/27/20 8:46 a.m.

Ls1 F-body for straight line speed, C5 if you want to turn, and 1g CTS-V if you need more doors. GM really is the best option if "Ludicrous Speed" is the goal, on a budget. 

If an auto is on the table, EcoBoost SHOs are also down in that range now. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/27/20 9:15 a.m.
Will said:

My 99 Z28?

Old ad, a few minor updates since then, still for sale

That's a pretty damn good performer for this budget.  Certainly a berkeley-load better than a LS swapped S10

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/27/20 5:02 p.m.
garaithon said:

Ls1 F-body for straight line speed, C5 if you want to turn, and 1g CTS-V if you need more doors. GM really is the best option if "Ludicrous Speed" is the goal, on a budget. 

If an auto is on the table, EcoBoost SHOs are also down in that range now. 

Auto is definitely an option, frankly the preferred option at this point.  I’m happy my Miata is a manual transmission, but am reaching a point my left knee starts complaining if I drive certain manual transmission cars for too long.

The Z28 does seem cool, just not a huge fan of the engine placement for maintenance.  But for cheap speed, that looks pretty good.

The S10 decided it didn’t like idling this morning, think an injector stuck open.  It must know I’m thinking of replacing it.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/20 5:55 p.m.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-INFINITI-M56-d2074#listing=252425627

m56's are getting close.  I have a feeling i'll be shopping for one in a couple years.  420hp and allllllll the torque?  Yes please.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/27/20 6:00 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-INFINITI-M56-d2074#listing=252425627

m56's are getting close.  I have a feeling i'll be shopping for one in a couple years.  420hp and allllllll the torque?  Yes please.

I know exactly where that dealer is, used to live right down the road. Sketchy as E36 M3. 

untchabl
untchabl Reader
6/27/20 10:12 p.m.

Matt Happel just posted about a foxbody coupe he tuned with the "don't be me" setup on it. It made 619 rwhp and ran 9.90@140 on it's first trip to the drag strip.

shelbyz
shelbyz Reader
7/1/20 5:49 p.m.

If I was sent on a mission to get something with "speed" for $7k or less, I'd probably have the nicest T56 LS1 F-Body I can find for that much in my driveway by the end of the day. Preferably a 2001 or 2002 that comes with the LS6 goodies from the factory.

If I'm not allowed to get one of those I probably consider the following:

-$7k would buy a pretty nice SN95 Cobra with the DOHC 4.6

-The lower end of the market for non-Terminator DOHC 4.6 "New-Edge" Mustangs (IE 99/01 Cobra or 03/04 Mach 1) is somewhere in that price range

-04/05 5-speed Forester XT

-LS1 (2004) GTO's can easily be found in that price range, but I'd probably end up spending more to get one with an LS2 (05-06)

-$7k would probably pretty easily fetch a decent to above average example of some of the hotter compacts from 10-20 or so years ago: 1G or 2G AWD DSM, 02-07 WRX or Saab 9-2X, Neon SRT4, Turbo Cobalt SS, Mazdaspeed 3

-I'd also tell myself I won't but inevitably end up looking at Twin Turbo Stealth's and 3000GT's 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/1/20 8:34 p.m.
Will said:

My 99 Z28?

Old ad, a few minor updates since then, still for sale

Someone NEEDS this car. Stat. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
7/2/20 11:22 a.m.

poopshovel’s CTS-V is way over my planned budget, but oh boy would it be an awesome car to have.  Even if it will need a transmission soon.  If I can’t convince myself to take the cash hit for that, I pretty much have to admit to myself that building something somewhat unique is a big enough motivation to keep me from buying something that is already bonkers straight from the factory.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
7/2/20 4:22 p.m.

I agree!

someone posted a f-body was way better than a p. o. s. S10. But factory fast, even with bolt on’s, ain’t the same as “built myself. “ Better in some ways, not in others. But not way berkeleying better, I think it was put. Cool is in the eye of the beholder!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/2/20 4:41 p.m.
03Panther said:

I agree!

someone posted a f-body was way better than a p. o. s. S10. But factory fast, even with bolt on’s, ain’t the same as “built myself. “ Better in some ways, not in others. But not way berkeleying better, I think it was put. Cool is in the eye of the beholder!

I said a way better "performer for this budget"

ProDarwin said:

That's a pretty damn good performer for this budget.  Certainly a berkeley-load better than a LS swapped S10

Personally, I think its cooler too.  It has a couple competitive places to play in the autox world, and I like to race more than I like to build stuff.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/2/20 5:00 p.m.

Ecoboost police package Taurus is in your price range, a tune will put it deep into the 12s, an aggressive tune and some race gas would put it into the 11s.  Soulless, but fast.

For doing absolutely no other work and in a modern vehicle at all its gonna be hard pressed to find anything much faster unless you get lucky on a salvage title something or other AMG or S series Audi, and even those dont run deep in the 12s out of the box in your price range.  

If I wanted something a little more civilized than a LS S10 I would consider a Chevy 1500 full size short box short cab RWD and add one or two turbskis to it.  Easy to work on and daily drive, still fast.  

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/2/20 10:28 p.m.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but you occasionally encounter nice Locosts for that sort of coin. There was a guy in San Diego who sold a well-sorted, motorcycle-powered Locost for around $7K. You're going to be hard pressed to find more smiles per mile than in a 1200 lb, 170 HP, 13,500 RPM, sequential-transmission, open-wheeled rocket.  

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
7/7/20 7:01 a.m.

It's a little over your $7k limit, but it looks like you can buy a holy E36 M3 fast, caged and tubbed V8 S10 for a bit more.  It's even in Ohio! wink

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
7/7/20 7:10 a.m.

It’s even titled in my county.  Unless the drivetrain is really awesome, though, it looks like they are asking way too much.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/20 7:16 a.m.

Agree, that's a lot of $ for a lot of not shiny and perfect 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
7/7/20 7:48 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Looks like it may be being sold by a widow.  I suspect it is a matter of them being told what it is worth by someone who has no idea.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
7/8/20 12:36 a.m.

that would need to be one heck of an engine! Yea, easy to get that much into a drag truck... hard to get it back out.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2yn4olEUbgVhmPJNuSIFSDcyJhsUUyhgXgwsKcLdqTBkhyI3TGs4BrC9GJ5RxJS9