1 2 3
scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
6/2/17 7:16 a.m.

I will be looking f r a new car soon and i am personally confused My family has 2 cars. 2008 accord v6 (278 hp 3,446 to 3,600 lbs) and a 2003 passat wagon1.8t (170 hp 3,307 to 4,067 lbs) (i was sure the accord was heavier when driving, it just feels bigger)

I really enjoy the passat more. lets pretend they weight the same amount because the passat wagon has few options cloth seats etc.

any suggestions on why I like it more. power curve is clearly different . accord just has power everywhere, boost comes on and the passat is like a different car then off boost.

I can't drive the accord as hard as the passat (on the street because that would be irresponsible) the passat's limits are lower.

the passat is german ( i loved,loved my 94 e36 sport) thepassat has smaller tires (do they turn in easier?)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/2/17 7:39 a.m.

There are so many variables that it's hard to really pull them out. Big HP is nice, but a bad transmission makes the car frustrating. Lower power but a smooth torque curve and the right gearing is enjoyable. Then there is the chassis. How it corners steady state, but also how it reacts to inputs while cornering. How much brake dive does it have? Torque steer?
Some people like the on/off nature of older turbo cars. I know I do. Some people like a nice flat torque curve. There is preference and engineering. The best way to figure out what you like is to drive a LOT of cars.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/2/17 7:45 a.m.

For me, a manual transmission I can change gears when I want to, not when it wants to. At least a little bit of pep, doesn't have to be 400+hp. And definitely:

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
6/2/17 7:52 a.m.

For me, more and more, it's about big American V8 torque. I love the RoadMaster Wagon's LT1, even though it's a HUGE lumbering whale, it moves pretty good.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
6/2/17 8:03 a.m.

Being different makes a car fun to drive- too much power, hilariously little power, great handling, atrocious handling, glorious exhaust note, awful noises, all have their place. Sometimes I think the perfect garage would include a Super 7, a 2CV, an old gasser, a completely stock malaise era Oldsmobile, an Exige... all special in their own way.

MugenReplica
MugenReplica New Reader
6/2/17 8:04 a.m.

Current car is lightweight (under 2100lbs for a 2012 vehicle) and short wheelbase (78.8") which has proven fun in handling or backroads (not to mention the differential is in FRONT of engine, behind the axles and strut towers making it kind of fwd mid-ship). But with a CVT (which overheats and drones) and low horsepower it's required ingenuity to enjoy. If I did it again, I'd had dropped a few more $$$$ to get more power or covert it with UK parts to a manual transmission.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
6/2/17 8:07 a.m.

i know most turbo cars i have driven have always felt significantly more fun then faster NA cars just due to the pull when the boost rolls in.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
6/2/17 8:07 a.m.

I think there are as many answers to that as there are people in the world. Actually there more answers to that question than people in the world because different cars are fun for different reasons.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/2/17 8:10 a.m.

Jerry is pretty close.

My list:

• 3 pedals
  • turbo whistle
  • deleted intake resonance bits
  • responsive handling

Gimme those, in any order, and Im a happy camper. I could get along with any combination of 3 of the 4, but a 3rd pedal is mandatory if im going to actually ENJOY the car. I'll happily drive anything, but not just anything will make me happy...if that makes sense?!!?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/2/17 8:13 a.m.

I will say, with enough power (and it's a LOT) a good automatic is acceptable.

scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
6/2/17 8:13 a.m.

i didn't really expect an answer that would help me much. :).\ Manual transmission will be a must in my next car. things on my list for next car. watching craigslist budget is about 4- 8 k. debating buying something cheap and using budget to make it right or buying something newer some of teh cars below I have driven, others just seem to be cross shopped against them

im an wondering how bad some of the list might be before I do anything other than maintenance.
gen 7 celica gt integra ls (4door / coupe) tc

most fun na miata

nb miata

del sol si (like i could find one)

first gen rx7 with the biggest sunroof I could put in it. (is this an fb?)

these all seem kind of similar a bit more prectical

gen 7 celica (gts and gt even though they are very different cars)

gen 4 celica (i always liked the look) but getting old

scion tc ??? maybe need to dirve one. "biggish motor" but only revs to 6k.

integra ls ? gsr? like the celica very different

rsx? type s

another e36 (i loved this wife hated it (money pit)

gti (of some vintage)

most practical a4 avant (like my passat wagon)

wrx hatch

forester xt

is there anything obvious i am missing on my second list.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
6/2/17 8:14 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Likewise, with little enough power a bad automatic is hilarious- such as a C4 attached to an anemic 70s I-6.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
6/2/17 8:16 a.m.

In reply to scooterfrog:

Consider Saabs if you're OK with FWD. They're dirt cheap and most can be made really fun with more boost.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/2/17 8:16 a.m.

Having the ability to step the tail out at will or even having a nice and predictable automatic with a good torquey engine can be fun (I'm thinking 4.0 in the XJ Cherokee for the latter)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/17 8:18 a.m.

I have never cared for big power cars. I think the most powerful car I ever owned only had 185hp. I do prefer a car that is "light on it's feet" in that it can change direction easily without tripping over it's own feet, stop without drama, and accelerate well enough to get out of it's own way.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
6/2/17 8:18 a.m.

Manual and burnout ability. (I have neither at the moment)

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
6/2/17 8:21 a.m.

I really like the 2zz-ge that's found in the Gen 7 Celica/Lotus/Matrix. It was used in all sorts of different cars so there's lots of cheap parts and the second cam makes the car interesting to drive. It's probably the next best thing to a turbo car.

I personally like things that allow me to enjoy myself up to the speed limit. Cars that have a hard time picking up enough speed to pick a spot to merge into traffic frustrate me to no end.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/2/17 8:23 a.m.

Looking at your list you might want to add and 8th gen Civic Si. The engine/transmission is absolutely wonderful and the chassis is good enough stock to make the car enjoyable almost anywhere. They are docile at the lower end of the tach and scream above 5k rpm. They have some suspension issues if you want to lower the dickens out of them, but at stock height they work well. I think they're currently below the radar and the early ones are getting cheap.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
6/2/17 8:34 a.m.

I think I actually like underpowered cars. Even if the underpowered car in question is a 4.6 2 valve Mustang. I have yet to drive anything that felt overpowered though.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/17 8:55 a.m.

I never found my Forester fun to drive. In fact I really felt it was overrated. I also never felt the Del sol was fun to drive.

For me it's really about responsiveness. It's also about being able to exploit the limits a little without having to go 100+ MPH. Also it's about the car communicating to me.

For me it's been the usual suspects, Miata...Early GTI/Roccos...I agree on the Gen 8 SI.....Fiesta ST....My old Colt GT Turbo.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/2/17 9:00 a.m.

photo 8449B236-9232-42DD-843E-3F73A5E28366_zpst6qkop9o.jpeg

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/2/17 9:03 a.m.

Involvement and willingness. There's no specific power number, 0-60 time, braking distance, top speed, lateral G, or other objective criteria necessary. It just needs to enjoy giving you all it has, whatever that may be.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/17 9:05 a.m.

+1 to Duke.

I have loved driving everything I have ever been behind the wheel of. From 700hp RX7s, to lawn mowers, from golf carts to the Abomination. I just like to drive, it doesn't matter what it is.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
6/2/17 9:10 a.m.

The more I drive my Fiesta the more I enjoy it

Much like Mad_machine said.

Even with my low power, I consistently leave the stop light ahead of more powerful cars. No it is not at full throttle. All this and 36/44 mpg. even more I try.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/2/17 9:14 a.m.

Power to pass at will and not be beaten by mini-vans off the stop light. Chassis/suspension/tires that doesn't make you wait when you change direction. Manual Transmission with a shifter that is sublimely smooth. Engine that has no hollow spots that leave you wondering if you forgot to press the pedal all the way as you pass through them. The musical sound of a tuned exhaust is important. (Sorry UEL header Subarus) Ability to see what is all around you without any metal being in the way - Top down Miata is great. My wife's van - lots of blind spots. For some reason my supercab Ranger has the perfect balance of steel to glass and I can see out in every direction just using mirrors and the windshield without turning my head.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XeXJpQEpyFR5OhvzUipXq3ATy1fejuuwL7RB8g1qcEBd4cNQY1z8L5txbhDWRuoC