1 2
mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/28/11 2:43 p.m.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/28/11 3:10 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Simple reason, the Turbo cannot be run in the ST category of SCCA Autocross, which is my preferred racing area. I can setup the 944 for STR and still run the Stock or Street Prepared categories at PCA depending on prep level (LSD and buschings basically). Also, the NA has 1/2 the miles, actually has service records, and hasn't spent several years in a field.

Well then get the N/A, you're buying it, not us.

I'd be highly surprised if either of them is cheap to maintain, history be damned.

EDIT:
Is the 944 even competitive in ST class racing anyways? I didn't think it was, and if that were the case, why does it matter? Just curious.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/11 3:53 p.m.

Believe me, if I nice 951 came up in my price bracket, I would jump on it. But an ex-field refuge that has no maintenance history and questionable mechanicals is a hand-grenade waiting to go off.

As for the ST thing, it's just the category I like. it allows basic modifications that most car guys (and girls) perform and affordable tires that can be street-driven without fear. Plus the syncrosity of STR and the PCA's classes give me a double-outlet.

As for the NA 944's competitiveness, they are still way up there in ES. A 944 won ESL last year and either a 944 or 924S has been on the podium at ES for the last 3-4 years running. STR is brand new and I don't actually know of anybody even attempting to build a 944 for it. The car certainly classes well a it can fit the maximum 9" wheel/255 tire all the way around, has great low-end torque, and is relatively light stock (2637 w/A/C). The DME is easily tunable, the exhaust can pick up a bunch of power, and the suspension is very well suited for autocross.

Obviously a 3.0L 944S2 would be "the" car to have, but they are heavier (250+ Lbs). I think the 88 944S is the magic mid-point of power and weight, but is also $$$.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/11 1:01 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Oh, the codes on the car don't indicate Sport Seats...

The seats in the photo indicate Sport Seats.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/11 8:26 a.m.

I see that

I'm trying to get the Miata sold quick so I can go look at this 944.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/29/11 1:24 p.m.

I say go drive the 944 to see how you like it before you (over)commit emotionally to it and sell the Miata. Sometimes the idea of the car is better than the car really is - you and your Miata are a great case in point.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Iu6Ad6t0ts1XDAThyOQIydw7phRuYtreiV7cEouani3sk5VMkazRLLbuQwVp0wl8