1 2
Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
3/31/20 11:15 p.m.

There's a beautiful 2013 Porsche Panamera GTS that I'm lusting over.  V8, AWD, PDK transmission, hatchback, $35 grand ballpark.  Is there anything out there that measures up? Kia Stinger GT is similar but not really the same curb appeal or engine note.  The Porsche 4.8 V8 has been proven to be pretty reliable and they've made a ton of them.  Is there anything else out there with that much value and performance that I'm not thinking of?  

I have a motorhome and my Corvette up for sale right now that I should really wait to sell before pulling the trigger.  But it's hard... and interest rates are rock bottom.  I had a Volkswagen Golf 4 Motion as a rental for three weeks in Phoenix that really had me considering an Alltrack since they can be had with a manual for $21,000 brand new, but ultimately it just didn't feel special enough.  Entertaining and a good appliance, but just not... special. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/20 12:21 a.m.

Mercedes cls550 4matic. I drove both and liked the Merc much better. I did not like the feeling sitting in the Panamera. You are up and exposed. The Merc you sit down in it. It feels much more solid. If you can swing it go for the AMG version of the cls with the 4matic. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/1/20 12:26 a.m.

GS-F 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/1/20 6:41 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

GS-F 

This. 

Unless you are in love with high maintenance costs.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/1/20 7:12 a.m.

The Panamera is pretty sweet. There's nothing I can think of that's quite as sweet while being a sedan / hatchback thing. A GTS is even sweeter. Between the pdk and the Porsche  handling I kind of love them. But I am too cheap to spend that much on a car that's the main reason I don't have one. 

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
4/1/20 7:20 a.m.

Check out the insurance costs before you make any decisions. My buddy had a beautiful Panamera turbo that he was selling for cheap because he moved overseas.  I was all set to buy it until I asked about insurance.  Consistently the most expensive cars to insure.  If you work on cars yourself (and who on this board doesn't?), the maintenance costs aren't too bad. Modern Porsches are very reliable, and the cost for parts isn't different from any other modern euro luxo-barge. 

That car was way more fun on the track than it should have been. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/1/20 7:29 a.m.
ShinnyGroove said:

If you work on cars yourself (and who on this board doesn't?),

Many of us don't when it comes to basic maintenance like oil changes. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/20 8:51 a.m.

If you're lusting for a P car I really don't think you're going to be happy with anything else.  It's not that there aren't other good choices it's that the Porsche experience is the Porsche experience.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
4/1/20 8:54 a.m.

I thought the Golf Alltracks were DSG only?  That Porsche drives great but I just can't get over how they look, not a fan.  The wagon version of it looks a bit better.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/20 9:46 a.m.

Seventeen and a half Challenge cars

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/1/20 10:00 a.m.

I actually had the same sort of question. I cross shopped the merc, an audi s7 (and the s6), but ultimately ended up with a very low mileage 2013 M5.(33k miles) for 36k. The twin turbo v8 is a monster, much better reliability than the v10. I would tell you to look for a 2014 and up if you want the competition package. I have had mine since January and I just love it. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/1/20 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

Given your screen name, does that eliminate the Tesla S or 3 from consideration?  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
4/1/20 10:40 a.m.

Are you looking for wagons only? BMW 330xi wagons are pretty cool and in the same price point. I think they are harder to come by than some of the other candidates mentioned. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/1/20 11:13 a.m.

I really liked driving the Panamera GTS--it's great on track and hides its size well when driven hard.  You might look at a M5 or M6 Gran Coupe of similar vintage for comparison.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/1/20 11:48 a.m.

The 2014 Panamera is a mild refresh and looks much nicer.

I would shop a Chevy SS....

spandak
spandak HalfDork
4/1/20 12:29 p.m.

Do you feel lucky? 
Quattroporte? 

Second the Tesla question. In a few years, if we are lucky, the Taycans might come down. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
4/1/20 12:39 p.m.

Used Tesla.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/1/20 12:51 p.m.

Honest answer from a Porsche guy. 

Look at a used but certified Macan Turbo S or GTS. Much better car all around. 

If it needs to be a sedan for reasons then a used F sport LS Lexus is a better car to own and faster then you would think it is. 

IF you are nuts there are deals on Bentley Flying Spurs all over the place in the 40's that are amazing cars to own as well. 

TR7
TR7 Reader
4/1/20 2:28 p.m.

XJR?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/1/20 6:49 p.m.

Thanks for all the responses!  Some of the suggestions are just too far above budget.  The cheapest GS-F within 1000 miles is 45k.  I'm in the 25-35k ballpark.  Any Tesla Model S down in the thirties is a very early model, like 2014.  I don't want an electric car that old, and Teslas weren't the greatest quality in the beginning from what I've heard.  A Porsche Macan S would be in budget, but I think the Turbo and the GTS are out of budget.  Plus, no PDK transmission, just a regular auto.  I really would prefer a manual, but if an auto is the only option it had better be a damn good one, like the PDK with launch control.  The other major drawback in regards to the Macan in my opinion is the sound of a V6 instead of a V8.  The Panamera GTS sounds glorious.  A V6 just doesn't do it for me.  Plus, Macans are everywhere, Panameras are not and I personally love the look of the Panamera.  The Sport Turismo is even better, but over double the price.  

My current winter bomber is a Lincoln Town Car on studless snow tires and an LSD.  It does pretty good, but when the resort doesn't plow the parking lot overnight and then it snows another 8" while I'm there, it can be a challenge in over a foot of fresh snow.  I'm looking for something I can get sideways in the snow, but not need a tow strap.  

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/1/20 7:02 p.m.
APEowner said:

If you're lusting for a P car I really don't think you're going to be happy with anything else.  It's not that there aren't other good choices it's that the Porsche experience is the Porsche experience.

I think you're right.  I've also looked at a 911 Carrera 4S but for $35 grand you're looking at a 2001ish car.  There's also no way that I can see to carry skis inside and I really don't want a roof rack.  

mw
mw Dork
4/1/20 7:12 p.m.
Petrolburner said:
APEowner said:

I think you're right.  I've also looked at a 911 Carrera 4S but for $35 grand you're looking at a 2001ish car.  There's also no way that I can see to carry skis inside and I really don't want a roof rack.  

How many people/ skis? I can get my 183's in my 996 if they go in the passenger footwell, it takes a bit of maneuvering 

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
4/1/20 9:18 p.m.
z31maniac said:
ShinnyGroove said:

If you work on cars yourself (and who on this board doesn't?),

Many of us don't when it comes to basic maintenance like oil changes. 

In that case, prepare for $500-600 oil changes then. 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/1/20 9:25 p.m.

In reply to mw :

Two people and two pairs.  I'd also like the space for normal day to day stuff, buying crap off Craigslist etc.  

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/1/20 9:30 p.m.

I'm going to test drive this Macan S tomorrow just to see what it's like.  

https://bend.craigslist.org/ctd/d/bend-2015-porsche-macan-awd-navigation/7089688288.html

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mbTGC90bTbBaFVzWAtGDQ55on55ZSvvAzXdUgMuokiZxqlweUZVjncKlkc4LsMwA