1 2
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/16/17 12:16 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to curtis73: So, how come you haven't upgraded your Dad's '08, if it's only getting 14 mpg?

I'm curious about the mileage as well. Are you talking average? Mine is probably 17mpg average unloaded. '08 is also before DEF, so your dads mileage should be better than 14.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/17 9:26 a.m.

Many factors. First, it only has 30k on it, so he's not overly concerned about MPG for as little use as he gives it. He uses it to tow a big travel trailer which only happens about 10 times a year. Also, since it only has 30k, he's not too keen on big mods yet.

The other thing is, to really address the MPG issue you have to do a DPF delete which is a big moral choice in a lot of ways. Most shops won't do it and since it requires reprogramming its not something I'm really keen on doing in the backyard.

I'm sure it might become a priority someday, just not yet.

Not sure if your 08 is configured the same way, but his is a crew cab dually with 4.10s and 4x4. That might account for the extra fuel. Most of the 2500s (if that's what you have) are considerably lighter and have 3.73s. That 14mpg is average when unloaded; town, highway, commute. Loaded with a 10k trailer its more like 10-11.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/20/17 12:02 p.m.

Looks like I am now the proud owner of an '07 Duramax.

curtis73
1/20/17 12:33 p.m.

Hell yes! Nice.

Let me know when you get the itch for smearing tires at 60 mph on the highway.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/20/17 1:00 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Nice! Congrats.

Hopefully yours doesn't end up with a build thread like mine.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/20/17 1:05 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: Many factors. First, it only has 30k on it, so he's not overly concerned about MPG for as little use as he gives it. He uses it to tow a big travel trailer which only happens about 10 times a year. Also, since it only has 30k, he's not too keen on big mods yet. The other thing is, to really address the MPG issue you have to do a DPF delete which is a big moral choice in a lot of ways. Most shops won't do it and since it requires reprogramming its not something I'm really keen on doing in the backyard. I'm sure it might become a priority someday, just not yet. Not sure if your 08 is configured the same way, but his is a crew cab dually with 4.10s and 4x4. That might account for the extra fuel. Most of the 2500s (if that's what you have) are considerably lighter and have 3.73s. That 14mpg is average when unloaded; town, highway, commute. Loaded with a 10k trailer its more like 10-11.

Mine is a 2500. I'll have to look at the dealer sticker again, but I think you're right about the 3.73s. It's a Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 with a Z71 package (not that it makes a difference). I still have the DPF and EGR Cooler.

Ever since I wiped the tune on it, the mileage tanked, but I was having too many issues, so it wasn't worth keeping it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/21/17 5:31 p.m.

This truck had been sitting through too long on the dealer's lot, and he was getting ready to wholesale it. Gave me a little leverage.

The loan value on it was $27K, but I got it for $20,500. I felt pretty good about that. I don't usually win at the negotiating table.

He gave me a cry baby song and dance, but changed his tune when he realized I was about to walk. He probably made more than he would have wholesaling it, and I think he was gonna send it to the auction this week.

curtis73
1/22/17 12:01 a.m.

A sob story from a dealer salesman usually falls on deaf ears with me.

The F150 I just bought was listed for $7995 on a used lot. I put $4500 cash on the desk and he said no way. I picked up the cash to go and he said "wait."

I walked out 15 minutes later with the truck for $4500.

What really saved me there was he was a couple days away from having to title it. In PA, if you don't sell a used asset in 90 days, you have to title it to the dealership. I knew it was there for at least 10 weeks so I gambled. I won

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NiA36DsiPMo45PhQ3VKTFleULRePnXpyEP6bZYLKSPysDB12q1pzyBo7ZiRFmDLD