1 2 3
sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
3/24/15 8:10 p.m.

Here in Mass we have obd2 check on cars newer than 15 years. Older than that are emissions exempt. I like this setup Just Fine but am moving to escape the god awful winter. The time is approaching for me to decide on a piggyback or stand alone on the next evolution of the commute attack car. I thought this might be a good time to compile states that are enthusiest friendly like mass for the good of humanity.

Any other states like Mass?

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/24/15 8:13 p.m.

Parts of California are emissions exempt other than initial registration

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
3/24/15 8:16 p.m.

Yes, it would be great to know also which states have exempt areas. Ive read that Oregon only smogs in two counties?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/15 8:17 p.m.

Metropolitan parts of Oregon and Washington have emissions testing and areas outside of that are generally exempt.

That's said, even in areas where they do emissions testing, if it isn't OBD2 then it would be a simple tailpipe test and as long as your car is tuned decently and is running a cat you should pas without issue.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

South Carolina does no testing, no safety checks, no nothing.

If you can title it and insure it, you can plate it.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork

Alabama doesn't.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/15 8:19 p.m.

Oregon: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/emissions.aspx

Washington: http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/emissions.html

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
3/24/15 8:22 p.m.

Wisconsin doesn't (only a few counties) but that won't help escape awful winters.

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
3/24/15 8:24 p.m.

I shouldve stated that Michigan has none. Not to hijack, but how hard would it be to pass a 95 turbo Miata with megasquirt, in a place like California?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
3/24/15 8:30 p.m.

My area of Texas has no emissions but does have a safety inspection.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/24/15 8:34 p.m.

Missouri has none that I am aware of. Lived here my whole life. Does have safety inspections every two years. Nothing hard to pass though.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/15 8:36 p.m.

None in Michigan.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
3/24/15 8:36 p.m.

Oklahoma has nothing as long as you have a title and insurance. Pretty great.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/24/15 8:48 p.m.

In TN it's county by county--Hamilton County (Chattanooga) and the counties surrounding Nashville are the only ones that test.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/24/15 8:48 p.m.

Arkansas.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
3/24/15 8:52 p.m.

No testing or inspections in Minnesota. They did have emissions testing for a few years in the 90s but dropped the program.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/24/15 8:58 p.m.

Almost all of the Midwest has nothing. Texas outside the big metro areas has nothing.

Here is the list of states with testing and links to what they are:

http://www.emissions.org/

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/24/15 8:58 p.m.

Texas is safety only unless you live around Houston, Austin or Dallas.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/24/15 9:21 p.m.

Illinois does not test OBDI.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
3/24/15 9:27 p.m.

Anybody know about North Carolina?

MattGent
MattGent Reader
3/24/15 9:31 p.m.

FL = no testing or inspection of any kind.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
3/24/15 10:17 p.m.
Murphy wrote: I shouldve stated that Michigan has none. Not to hijack, but how hard would it be to pass a 95 turbo Miata with megasquirt, in a place like California?

It depends. If you selected parts and systems carefully with the intent of being legal in California then is not to hard to smog a turbo Miata. If you have something you fabricated and tuned with your own hands it will fail the visual inspection before it even gets hooked to exhaust sniffer.

Keith Tanner has made a few posts here in the past describing the process for making parts and systems smog legal in California.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/24/15 10:20 p.m.

wbjones is telling most of the story.

OBDI cars are safety inspection only in North Carolina. I think it is actually hard-coded as "anything earlier than 1996 is emissions exempt"

The car does have to be inspected before it can be registered, too. They will also hit you with taxes during registration.

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/registration/inspection/

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/24/15 10:41 p.m.

Nevada only requires emissions testing in Clark and Washoe counties, IOW the areas around and including Las Vegas and Reno/Sparks. No safety inspection anywhere IIRC.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/24/15 11:48 p.m.

Louisiana only tests in a few parishes. I'm not in one of those, so I couldn't tell you about the process.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cDqO1vSP936yLp3VjAyc68ZIVaqyH7qBl4PvDlyus8JCix0TJNpYcFvBSYCmOGJ4