novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/26/12 12:24 a.m.

tractor turbo

my mom's fiance just replaced the turbo on his IH 1466 tractor because the flange where the eshaust elbow that the muffler attaches to broke off last weekend.. anyways, he's just gonna throw the old turbo in the scrap heap so i can grab it for free.. i figure get a new exhaust housing for it and i can cobble together a turbo setup for my 3/4 ton 4X4 GMC truck to make it the ultimate towing machine until the pistons melt... but i need to know what style of turbo it is, and where could a guy find a replacement for the broken exhaust side housing for one? it looks kinda sorta similar to the one in my T Type, but bigger and has about 1000 hours of field time on it since it was put in the tractor in 2000..

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
5/26/12 7:42 a.m.

Well based on the one oil flange i can see, the shape of the turbine housing, and how the turbine housing is attached to the center section, im going to say its a garrett t04 design. A little bit of googling seems to reinforce this.

To replace the housing you just need to know turbine wheel is in it, which means taking the housing off and measuring the wheel diameters. Once you find out which turbine wheel it is (generally O, P, or Q trim is what they're called) you can probably order that housing from just about anybody that sells turbos, although brand new itll probably be $200+. You can probably find one cheaper on car forums.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
5/26/12 9:44 a.m.

you can also send it to Evergreen Turbo, and have Charlie take a look at it. hes the best. as far as im concerned, the last word on turbo repair and balancing. hell make it like new for not much.

-J0N

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/26/12 10:07 a.m.

Garret T03 then?

cool.. it's probably just sit around for a while, but i'm thinking about swapping a 5.3 into my trusty old 87 GMC 3/4 ton some day and a turbo would make it moar better in every way for hauling big loads..

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
5/27/12 10:12 a.m.

Well, i SAID t04. There's a big difference there since a t3 is no effing way on a 5.3 and a t4 is 'might work, depends what t4'.

There are t-4s which will support almost 1000 hp. I doubt that is one of them, but i do still think it's worth picking up for free and at least measuring it to find out. If the turbine side is big enough you can upgrade the compressor side pretty cheaply.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/27/12 12:40 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Well, i SAID t04. There's a big difference there since a t3 is no effing way on a 5.3 and a t4 is 'might work, depends what t4'. There are t-4s which will support almost 1000 hp. I doubt that is one of them, but i do still think it's worth picking up for free and at least measuring it to find out. If the turbine side is big enough you can upgrade the compressor side pretty cheaply.

yeah, i typoed a bit in my last post. meant to hit a "4" when i hit a "3"..

i looked at the actual turbo that was taken off the tractor yesterday, and it says "AIR Research T0something" in big cast in letters on the aluminum part.. it has an A/R cast into the hot side, but i can't remember what it is right off hand.. i'll snap off some pics in a bit.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/27/12 1:05 p.m.

here's pics of the actual turbo. exhaust A/R 1.15 intake A/R .60

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
5/27/12 11:32 p.m.

Assuming you got another 1.15 a/r turbine housing for it, that would definitely work on a 5.3. You still need to take the turbine housing off and measure the turbine wheel to see what turbine it is so you can get a housing that's machined for the proper turbine size.

The compressor is, in all likelihood, really small for a 5.3. Older diesel turbos tended to have big turbines and small compressor sides. In spite of the displacement, they only need to move enough air to feed an engine that only revs to 3000 rpm with REALLY E36 M3ty volumetric efficiency.

But like i said, t4 compressor upgrades are cheap and readily available. This is assuming that you can find a turbine housing cheap enough to make this thing worth fixing/modifying. Plenty of people go too big and then swap out for smaller housings, though, so you should be able to find a used turbine housing pretty easily, and for your app bigger is better. You'll probably want the biggest a/r housing you can find for a t4 on a 5.3. Also, if you know someone who is a badass you could just weld something onto that turbine housing but it would TAKE a super badass to build something that wouldnt crack since the housing goes up to 1300+f.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/28/12 2:16 a.m.

that housing is worse than it looks in the pics. the housing is pitted pretty damn deep in a few places- like almost deep enough to form holes before too long.. this turbo was purchased brand new and installed on the tractor (IH 1466) in the year 2000 and has about 1500 hours on it- almost all of which was pulling a plow or something under full power for hours at a time..

i'll look around and see what i can find for a new housing for it- the 5.3 swap could be my winter project, and what better time to add a turbo than when i'm doing the work to swap the engine in?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WVnA5ExGUsZKD0SFwVhIkSRenXRUFATyHu7O0vCrFiwELuTZFCcirJ7P6tNWLY8g