1 2 3 4
Will
Will SuperDork
4/13/15 7:20 p.m.

If you described a BMW 3 or even 5 series to me without telling me what it was, that's the car I'm interested in. However, being a BMW or even Mercedes is a dealbreaker for me. I'm just not interested in them.

What else is out there in this same category? Non-negotiable items: must be RWD, must be under $7k, must be reasonable as a daily driver. Preferably 1996 or newer, preferably 4 doors, preferably manual trans as an option.

IS300? Anything else?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/15 7:24 p.m.

Lincoln LS?

Will
Will SuperDork
4/13/15 7:28 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Lincoln LS?

Yeah, I mean it seems like such a bad idea, but I have to admit I'd drive one in a second. However, it doesn't appear that people take care of them very well, and I hear their electricals are right up there with Lucas's finest.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/13/15 7:31 p.m.

Infiniti G35S would be the obvious choice here if you're anti-BMW/MB. Excellent DD, RWD, as sporty as a regular 3 or 5 series, can be had in MT. Easy to find, and don't get hit with the "fairly rare" tax that the IS300 gets.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/13/15 7:46 p.m.

IS300 is NOT a midsize, let me clarify that right away. It's a compact luxury sedan. I had one and I'm 6'3"; with me up front there was not a whole lot of usable leg room in back.

I should also add that I had the IS300 before a 330i (E46) and 528i (E39) and prefer both BMWs.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/13/15 7:52 p.m.

You can find a decent 96 Impala SS for around that price point in this area. It's a full size car but the big girl has some moves.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
4/13/15 7:53 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: I should also add that I had the IS300 before a 330i (E46) and 528i (E39) and prefer both BMWs.

This. Anvil reliability aside, they're pretty terrible cars. Slow, atrocious gas mileage for no apparent reason, tiny interior, not terribly luxurious by today's standards.

@ OP: 240 Volvo? Not sure if they're new enough, but they tick all the other boxes

Will
Will SuperDork
4/13/15 7:54 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

A small sedan is fine so long as it's still RWD.

Also, I had a CTS-V, and since its only redeeming features are absent on the standard CTS, that's not something I want to try.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/15 7:56 p.m.

V6/MT5 Lincoln LS, I6/MT5 Lexus IS300 (compact, more 2-series), and V6/MT5 Infiniti G35 are the only things that pop right out. If AWD is okay you can get a few more in there (Volvo S70/V70, SAAB, 9-3, and 9-5, Subaru Legacy). If you take out manual it can open up a little, but nothing I'd consider. There's some fringe players that don't fit the exact bill that might be worth driving (03+ P71 or a Marauder if you can find a $7K one for full-size fun, early Charger R/T or later Pentastar V6 versions for the same, RX-8 if suicide-doored rotaries can work, lots of older early 90's obscure stuff).

Javelin
4/13/15 7:57 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: You can find a decent 96 Impala SS for around that price point in this area. It's a full size car but the big girl has some moves.

You know, that's honestly about the size of a modern 5-eries, and it's actually starting to appreciate. Great car.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/13/15 8:05 p.m.

No, he specified DON'T suck.

The LS is awesome if you're the guy working on it and you can charge by the hour instead of book time and the person who owns it says "Yeah, whatever, just fix it right, can I have it back in two weeks?" Other than that, they suck.

(note: this situation exists merely in theory and has yet to be witnessed in the field)

Knurled
4/13/15 8:12 p.m.
Will wrote:
Yeah, I mean it seems like such a bad idea, but I have to admit I'd drive one in a second. However, it doesn't appear that people take care of them very well, and I hear their electricals are right up there with Lucas's finest.

The electricals seem to actually be not that bad. It's everything else that is horrid. Mainly the "pillow ball" suspension links (sealed rod ends) that were used instead of bushings, that require replacement of very expensive components WHEN they sieze up and make more noise than an unoiled tank, or alternately go loose and give you dynamic rear suspension alignment, but only in the ways that increase tire wear, not handling precision.

The front ball joint design absolutely sucks, too. The lower ball joint requires removing the wheel bearing assembly to change since it overlaps. The upright is aluminium and the wheel bearing isn't and you ghet galvanic corrosion out the wazoo. And there is nothing you can push on to get the bearing out without destroying it. It's a common enough problem that Dorman sells uprights now, so you can cut the wheel bearing assembly out of the old upright and put it in the new one.

Next on the list: The hydraulic fan and all of the ways that the whole system can leak fluids...

Knurled
4/13/15 8:17 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: IS300 is NOT a midsize, let me clarify that right away. It's a compact luxury sedan. I had one and I'm 6'3"; with me up front there was not a whole lot of usable leg room in back. I should also add that I had the IS300 before a 330i (E46) and 528i (E39) and prefer both BMWs.

Curious. As a person of comparable lankitude, I feel that the IS300 is more accomodating than the E46. Of course, I haven't lived with either for any major length of time.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
4/13/15 8:18 p.m.

Infiniti G35 was the first thing that came to mind.

Or my requisite oddball recommendation just because someone said Lincoln: MkVIIIs are cool cause they look like spaceships.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
4/13/15 8:21 p.m.

I have driven an infiniti m45 and I liked it, no manual transmission available though. The aluminum jaguars are nice too, you probably don't want one of those though. Other than that, I have owned 2 Mercedes now and they really aren't that terrible to keep running.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/13/15 8:33 p.m.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming. I've never liked the looks of the G35 sedan, and the ones I've seen in this price range have been fairly rough. But if I saw a nice one at the right price point I'd consider it.

Impala SS? Way too big. If I wanted something that size I'd get a P71 for half my budget and be done with it.

Volvo 240? Don't dig it at all, sorry.

Mark 8? Kind of too similar to my Supercoupe to interest me much, especially considering the Mark has way less power and torque than my SC. That said, I've owned three MN12s and I know the platform backward and forward. If I could find a 1996 (only year for OBD2 and the small grille body style ) I'd overlook the lack of doors and consider it.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/13/15 8:56 p.m.

LS400 with a 5spd swap? Or a GS300/400 with a 5spd swap.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
4/13/15 9:15 p.m.

No manual in the USA but maybe Mazda 929?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/15 9:20 p.m.

Volvo 240 might be too old.. how about a 740/745?

drdisque
drdisque Reader
4/13/15 9:29 p.m.

Merkur Scorpio? (I know, no manual in the US).

4 or 5 speed swap in a Dodge Diplomat?

Will
Will SuperDork
4/13/15 9:55 p.m.

The Volvos aren't my thing. Merkur: not a single one on CL within 500 miles of my location. Diplomat: sorry, doesn't meet my definition of "doesn't suck." SC400 isn't a bad suggestion, but trans swap cars make me nervous.

Remember, this needs to be my DD. I have to be able to find one in good shape, so something cool but so old or high mileage that it will require constant work isn't what I'm after. Also, no carburetors no matter what the year.

Javelin
4/13/15 10:34 p.m.

I'll say it again: RX-8

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
4/13/15 10:41 p.m.
pres589 wrote: No manual in the USA but maybe Mazda 929?

HCs had the manual here, but they sold about seven of them.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/14/15 12:27 a.m.

Maybe the 96-98 Ford Thunderbirds. They look good, ride good, and have excellent seats. It's one of the few coupes that can fit regular sized adults in the back.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
4/14/15 5:48 a.m.

were there any manual GTOs?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E1QrCKNZQxK4kZ7GRIb9edXwwb9ThITSJZBnUXxdl5BfqOuk9pIcBf8leXwGkSxn