BAMF
BAMF Reader
4/18/11 1:37 p.m.

So, I've got a 2007 Mazda3 (205/50-17), and got some awesome advice on this board a couple years ago on which winter/snow tires to get for it. The Blizzak WS-60s have been amazing the last two winters, and appear to have a couple more winters in them.

The stock Goodyear Eagle RS-As that were garbage on any surface that wasn't smooth or dry asphalt have finally worn to the end of their lives. I won't be getting them again. With the winter tires I've got on a dedicated set of steelies, I want to get summer tires.

I'd like something that will have good grip in both wet and dry conditions, and that will hopefully last 3-4 years (they will be used about 1/2 to 2/3 of the year), and I manage to drive 10k mile or less annually. Also, inexpensive is good, but that almost goes without saying on this forum. Any advice?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
4/18/11 2:03 p.m.

What's the most you're willing to pay for tires? Michelin Pilot Sports will give you want you want, but you'll have to be willing to part with something in the order of 4 digits to shoe your Mazda with 'em.

I like the Kumho ASX, but I don't think it'll hold up for the mileage that you're wanting.

Maybe the Federal 595s?

SVTF
SVTF Reader
4/18/11 2:21 p.m.

Sumitomo HTRZ III (not the II). Awesome summer tires, half the price of Pilot Sports. I have them on a similar car, a Focus SVT. Got about 25k mi out of the first set, driven hard.

I also have had good experience with Falken Zeix 912, but they are all season and certainly not in the same league as the Sumitomo above.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
4/18/11 2:23 p.m.

SVTF, you're the first person I've ever heard praise Sumis for anything other than price.

rollinchicane
rollinchicane New Reader
4/18/11 2:30 p.m.

I had really good luck with the Yokohama s.drives on my 3. Much better than the Goodyear and great manners in the wet. I would get them again

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
4/18/11 2:44 p.m.

I'm also a fan of the S.Drives. Sidewall is a little soft compared to the competitive ST class tires, but the compound makes up for it and the comfort level is nice on a primarily street-driven car. The S.Drives on the Integra seem to have lasted longer than the Falken Ziex 912's on the MR2 to boot. I would have thought otherwise, but it might have something to do with the way I drive the car.

That said, dunno about the prices and sizing for the Mazda. They're reasonably priced in the 15-16" sizes though.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
4/18/11 2:51 p.m.

Ventus v12's seem to be the hot go to just under the re-11/star spec/rs3 category, and IIRC Hankook is running a 60$ MIR on em. I have a few friends that really like em.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
4/19/11 2:25 p.m.

Cool, thanks for the responses. Those are all tires I've been researching on Tire Rack.

I hadn't looked at Pilot Sports because I assumed they would be too expensive. I maybe drive 6,000-8,000 miles a year on my regular tires, and another 3-5k on my winters. So if something will last 25k miles, that's 3 years for me.

wawazat
wawazat New Reader
4/19/11 3:07 p.m.

I'm in a similar position with my 07 Legacy GT spec.B. I have winter tires and I need to replace the RE-050's that are dead. I decidedon the Continental ExtremeContact DW. Good tread wear and a good review from TirerRack convinced me that they were the way to go. 340 tread wear rating. Should have them on this weekend.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
4/19/11 7:33 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: SVTF, you're the first person I've ever heard praise Sumis for anything other than price.

All right, then I'll be the second. I bought mine on the recommendation of Tirerack. They are great as long as you know what you are getting. They are a really good, inexpensive summer tire. I've got about 4k normal driving, half a dozen "regular" autocrosses and a high-speed road course autocross on them so far and couldn't be happier. They are a tick slower than the "premier" tires for racing, but more than sufficient for a recreational autocross/track day. They've been fast enough that if I lose, I'm being outdriven, not giving it away on equipment. That's enough for me.

At half the price of a comparable tire from most other brands, I don't have to be mentally adding $50-$70 in tire costs everytime I go out to race. Honestly, that takes some of the fun out of recreational driving for me. Would I buy these if I had aspirations of regional/national competition, no. But for anything short of that, they are more than adequate.

Oh, and they behave well on the street too. There's very little drop off in the rain or in colder temps, unlike some of the "premier" tires I've tried.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/19/11 8:07 p.m.

asx's are all season but would deff last they are a 40k tire even i get 20 plus out of them

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
4/19/11 8:55 p.m.

I just had some Sumi HTR Z IIIs mounted up on my OZ wheels for my Speed3. I bought them for much the same reasons kazoospec mentioned: They got good reviews on Tire Rack and other forums, are a good all-around performance and daily-driving tire, and they are priced right. I can give some initial reactions next Monday.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
5/27/11 7:25 a.m.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I read reviews on everything suggested and was also given the recommendation of Yokohama S-Drives. I just got them on the car yesterday and am very happy so far. Thanks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aBCP4naUh3OG0fDqqKvQuJWf0Fs6ZIzyY5kJXd431wujIwCUvD0fOk5MWPRHLBcX