1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/24/15 7:05 a.m.

I am a big guy, depending on how much I stretch let's say 6'4", 240 lbs with a 34" inseam.

I like small cars, they are fun, it's like driving a go kart for commuting.

So what tiny cars have HUGE SPACE for the driver?

Oh yeah, and no lay down cars. If I have to look like I am doing the luge driving it, it fails. Here's looking at you BR-Z/FR-S

This isn't looking for THE tiny car huge room this is looking some tiny cars with huge room.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/24/15 7:07 a.m.

I will start

1988 Mercury Tracer/Mazda 323

smart ForTwo

Gen 1 Focus hatch.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
11/24/15 7:12 a.m.

Easy answer here. Honda Fit. It's mind boggling how such a small car has so much room inside.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
11/24/15 7:14 a.m.

Some I've owned:

Ford Focus.

C4 Corvette.

E36 BMWs.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 7:16 a.m.

Fit.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
11/24/15 7:22 a.m.

Volkswagens have historically been very accommodating to larger drivers.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
11/24/15 7:27 a.m.

I thought the first gen Yaris was huge inside, though much of that might have been from the big flat seats. I felt like I could have easily put two of me in the front seats.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/24/15 7:28 a.m.

Scions and Toyota Echo.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
11/24/15 7:31 a.m.

My Jetta has huge room for a tall long legged driver. I'm 6', 31"-ish inseam and if I put the seat all the way back I can not touch the pedals.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
11/24/15 7:46 a.m.

1st gen Scion xB. You can put four guys your size in it. With only a 1500 cc engine you would notice four guys your size,too.

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
11/24/15 8:01 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Easy answer here. Honda Fit. It's mind boggling how such a small car has so much room inside.

This, per Car and Driver it has more cubic feet of space than a GMC Yukon with the seat folded down for storage.

And for the driver I'm 6'6" 250lb with a 36in inseam and had more room than I do in my focus st. And there was more room behind me too.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 8:13 a.m.

The Fiesta ST has a ton of room, just skip the Recaros, sunroof and forget about using the seat behind you. I am 5'10" and 230# and I have plenty of space left.

frecks
frecks New Reader
11/24/15 8:20 a.m.
bludroptop wrote: Volkswagens have historically been very accommodating to larger drivers.

I'm 6'2" & was up to 220lbs a year ago. The MK6 GTI has more than enough room for me. I imagine it would accommodate someone of your size without issue.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
11/24/15 8:23 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Easy answer here. Honda Fit. It's mind boggling how such a small car has so much room inside.

Quoting Klay since this bears repeating. The packaging is very well thought out.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
11/24/15 8:25 a.m.

Any convertible, put the top down = unlimited headroom!

ojannen
ojannen New Reader
11/24/15 8:39 a.m.

6'6" here. Mini Cooper is the best for a small car. Best headroom, legroom, and shoulder room. It is a 3 seater at best with a tall driver.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
11/24/15 8:54 a.m.

Honda Fit.

thedanimal
thedanimal New Reader
11/24/15 9:03 a.m.

I'll throw in Honda Fit as well, However I did have a Versa Note as a rental, that car had some serious space. The back seat and hatch space were large as well.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 9:10 a.m.

Classic Mini. Seriously, they're massive inside especially with a race seat. Although with a 6'4" guy, there is the clown car factor to consider.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/15 9:54 a.m.

6'3" Honda Fit owner here, 34" inseam, though I am only 190lbs. It is shocking just how cavernous the car is inside. The brand new 2015-2016 EX model has a sunroof that kills the headroom, but the LX model and older-gen models like my 2013 basically have enough headroom for me to wear a tophat with some room to spare. I can even fit in the back seat comfortably with the front seat set the way I like it. Truly great car, and fun to drive too.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
11/24/15 9:56 a.m.
thedanimal wrote: I'll throw in Honda Fit as well, However I did have a Versa Note as a rental, that car had some serious space. The back seat and hatch space were large as well.

The Note may have good room inside, but it's not as much fun to drive as a Fit.

And as a Nissan guy (at least until January), it pains me to say that.

Ross413
Ross413 New Reader
11/24/15 10:26 a.m.

Honda Fit. A friend, 6'7" 350+... Loves his. K swap for a true rocket.

Thanks Ross

thedanimal
thedanimal New Reader
11/24/15 10:32 a.m.
jstein77 wrote:
thedanimal wrote: I'll throw in Honda Fit as well, However I did have a Versa Note as a rental, that car had some serious space. The back seat and hatch space were large as well.
The Note may have good room inside, but it's not as much fun to drive as a Fit. And as a Nissan guy (at least until January), it pains me to say that.

I agree, the Nissan is numb and very appliance-y. I'll take the fit every time unless the budget is tight.

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
11/24/15 10:45 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: The Fiesta ST has a ton of room, just skip the Recaros, sunroof and forget about using the seat behind you. I am 5'10" and 230# and I have plenty of space left.

Funny thing I'm definitely in the shorter side of the bell curve for height and felt like the Fiesta ST (non-recaro) was a bit cramped. It seemed fun enough to drive if you're keeping it to back roads but even with a tall cabin and the rear seats folded flat overall the space seemed kinda useless.

A relative has a Fit. While I'm not a fan of it there seemed to be a shocking amount of headroom and glass.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/24/15 11:02 a.m.

EB civic had good room

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YgONUDQC35kFw98B6ptOORgEFbddz7patKqSQuKBdoMD4cT8BjMPOy3S4SLT8lcF