1 2
pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/15 11:17 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: EB civic had good room

Wait, are you looking for something new, or will anything from anytime meet your requirements? When you name dropped the FR-S/BRZ and said "commuter" I think we all assumed you were shopping for something modern.

chada75
chada75 New Reader
11/24/15 1:25 p.m.

2008+ Scion xB. A guy I knew had one as a Taxi and the room on that car was very Impressive.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/24/15 1:48 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote:
Flight Service wrote: EB civic had good room
Wait, are you looking for something new, or will anything from anytime meet your requirements? When you name dropped the FR-S/BRZ and said "commuter" I think we all assumed you were shopping for something modern.

I am not shopping for anything, I am picking the brain trust. Unless I move I know what my next car will be...

My commute to work is 8 miles one way. My wife uses the car for around town which is about 6 miles round trip. If we bumble into DC and knock around for the day I am looking at a whopping 30~40 mile roundtrip (with multiple EV only designated parking areas). This or a leaf (I like this because it is smaller) is perfect for an area that seeing the upper side of 50mph is rare.

And they are down in the $5k range and dropping. Honestly if I could get a GEM licensed for the highway I would do that. Then we would sell the CR-V and get an older pick up for occasional use or long trips. Get a F150 4 door in the $15k range about 10 years old and 4wd and under 100k. That truck would last me another 10 years in the duty cycle I would have it in.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
11/24/15 2:13 p.m.

Fit is the answer here. I used mine like a little pickup truck.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
11/24/15 4:03 p.m.

VW MKI.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/24/15 4:24 p.m.

THe new Elantra GT/Forte5 have a crapton of room in a physically short space. C4 was TINY for my size.

The last Gen Rio/Accent has a ton of driver leg/head room but a little tight on the width.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
11/24/15 4:48 p.m.

It's never been an issue with me, but SWMBO has her matrix (aka Thomas the tank) has no issues whatsoever and she is 6'1 on a good day and still has plenty of room to move about and not cut off the legs of rear seat passengers, headroom is also quite surprising

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/24/15 5:59 p.m.

Versa is stupid huge inside. Almost TARDIS grade. Almost bought a blue hatch back in '09. At least the first gen let you have options with a manual.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/24/15 7:03 p.m.

The Mazda2 is pretty big on the inside. I've had some taller guys(6'2"-6'3") co-drive and they fit fine even with a helmet. One commented how he had more headroom than in his E46.

I'm just a bit south of you in VA Beach, and work in Newport News right off of 64. You're welcome to come give it a whirl some time. If there were any more auto-x events this season I'd off you a co-drive. That still goes if you want next season, though I am assuming you may find something by then.

I commute 100mi a day in it on 550/450lb springs without any issues. If is VERY fun to autocross, and I net 37-40mpg normally.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
11/24/15 7:13 p.m.

The key here seems to be having a very tall green house on a relatively small footprint. My sister's old Tercel felt huge inside for a tiny car. Same for the Fit.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
11/25/15 7:15 a.m.

I've read several places that the VW New Beetle is best for big drivers. No direct experience.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/25/15 7:20 a.m.
ojannen wrote: 6'6" here. Mini Cooper is the best for a small car. Best headroom, legroom, and shoulder room. It is a 3 seater at best with a tall driver.

+1. MINI's are amazing cars for tall drivers. Assuming you really only need a 2-3 seater.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/25/15 7:43 a.m.

In reply to chuckles:

I'm 6'4" so here's a tall guy report; I've sat in a New Beetle as a passenger on an hour-long trip and though it had a ton of space in the front seat. I also felt like I was riding in a rolling gimmick and that the parent Golf platform would be a better car.

I've also ridden in the first gen MINI and thought it was pretty spacious up front. I also noticed that there's an awful lot of hard plastic in the interior. And I notice a lot of comments about how they need to be given a lot of mechanical attention around the 100k mark. If that wasn't the case I would have considered one when I went shopping a couple years ago.

flatlander's experience with the Mazda2 seems to be very positive. I probably should have looked harder before ending up with my fwd 2011 Suzuki SX4 hatch. These are also pretty roomy inside for the footprint but the gas mileage isn't all that awesome (28-29 in a mixed commute with the 6 speed manual), ride quality isn't so hot (gets "pitchy" over freeze joints and similar road imperfections) and I hate the electronic throttle in this thing. Hate. So I can't recommend the SX4.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
11/25/15 3:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Classic Mini. Seriously, they're massive inside especially with a race seat. Although with a 6'4" guy, there is the clown car factor to consider.

I was coming here to say just that.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
11/25/15 3:26 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: I am a big guy, depending on how much I stretch let's say 6'4", 240 lbs with a 34" inseam. I like small cars, they are fun, it's like driving a go kart for commuting. So what tiny cars have HUGE SPACE for the driver? Oh yeah, and no lay down cars. If I have to look like I am doing the luge driving it, it fails. Here's looking at you BR-Z/FR-S This isn't looking for THE tiny car huge room this is looking some tiny cars with huge room.

The Fiat 500 Abarth without a sunroof, I fit a 6'7" 300+ lb guy in mine and he was shocked at having more room up front than his old Caprice.....plus, it is just as sporty as the frisbee.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/25/15 3:41 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

Interesting about the SX4. I found lack of front leg room to be a deal breaker for me.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
11/25/15 4:57 p.m.

Skippy! older FX16 Corolla...???

https://youtu.be/cAZFrg45Zlo

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/15 5:38 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: I am a big guy, depending on how much I stretch let's say 6'4", 240 lbs with a 34" inseam.

Flight, I'm about the same dimensions, and I've driven some small cars. My experience:

Roomy:

• VW Beetle/Super Beetle
  • Porsche 914
  • Suzuki Samurai
  • Pontiac Fiero (I was several notches from all the way back.)
  • RX-7, including the early cars
  • Honda CR-Z
  • BMW Z3

Surprisingly not roomy:

• Miata NA/NB
  • VW New Beetle, first generation. I know others here say otherwise, but I felt like I was way too close to a way too small pedalbox. Like I was driving tiptoe with overcrowded pedals. I used to own an old Jetta, and had no problems.
  • Mercedes SLK, first generation (There's a pad under the dash that appears to be an afterthought. I couldn't find a position that didn't have my shins jammed against this thing. I assume it was added late in production for anti-submarineing purposes. It supposedly comes off cleanly.)
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/29/15 10:18 p.m.
Mike wrote:
Flight Service wrote: I am a big guy, depending on how much I stretch let's say 6'4", 240 lbs with a 34" inseam.
Flight, I'm about the same dimensions, and I've driven some small cars. My experience: Roomy: * VW Beetle/Super Beetle * Porsche 914 * Suzuki Samurai * Pontiac Fiero (I was several notches from all the way back.) * RX-7, including the early cars * Honda CR-Z * BMW Z3 Surprisingly not roomy: * Miata NA/NB * VW New Beetle, first generation. I know others here say otherwise, but I felt like I was way too close to a way too small pedalbox. Like I was driving tiptoe with overcrowded pedals. I used to own an old Jetta, and had no problems. * Mercedes SLK, first generation (There's a pad under the dash that appears to be an afterthought. I couldn't find a position that didn't have my shins jammed against this thing. I assume it was added late in production for anti-submarineing purposes. It supposedly comes off cleanly.)

From my experience of your list

Yes * VW Beetle/Super Beetle
Not really * Porsche 914
Not Really * Suzuki Samurai
I was all the way back but decent room Pontiac Fiero (I was several notches from all the way back.)
FC definitely FD no
RX-7, including the early cars
Not Really* Honda CR-Z
Ok but the Z4 was much better * BMW Z3

Foam-ectomy required on NA/NB, NC was Ok, ND is a little tighter than the NC but very do-able

SLK was a meh

New Beetle Very nice but I never drove a manual. The peddle box did seem small on the auto though (size 13 feet)

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/30/15 7:04 a.m.
Brian wrote: In reply to pres589: Interesting about the SX4. I found lack of front leg room to be a deal breaker for me.

I don't really find this to be an issue for me. But I've also thought many times that a telescoping steering column would make the car nicer to find a fit in.

I really like the styling and general concept behind the SX4 but feel like someone else should have helped Suzuki develop the car instead of Fiat.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Zki7zIyoeUOe0LOd7NOTn3ZA3R16bLsoMrhcjYqjg7Na4aaJYDLPAvlc2hXS1mz