Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
8/4/17 8:48 a.m.

After years of looking and debating, I finally found and bought a low mile 4th gen 4Runner as my do all daily vehicle. It needs tires however. I need something that will be quiet and comfortable on the highway and good in rain and snow as well. I don't want to buy extra winter tires right now (although I'm a believer in them). Too much money going out right now. It won't see much off road and I'm keeping it stock. So what tire can do it all the best in a 4 season weather environment?

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
8/4/17 9:22 a.m.

Bf at all day

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/4/17 9:27 a.m.

I liked the Toyo AT II's for a mild AT tire thats good in the winter.

HonestSpeedShop
HonestSpeedShop GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/4/17 9:34 a.m.

+1 on at2 or cooper discover st. i had the coopers on a v8 4th gen and were awesome about all the time.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/4/17 6:20 p.m.

I picked up Kuhmo AT 51 tires for my 4Runner (a 98) here in Seattle. Haven't seen any snow yet, but they have been great in the rain. They are snow/ice rated as well.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/5/17 11:03 a.m.

I read this years ago (ring of tire 2) and went with the BFG AT KO when it came time for tires on my first gen 4-Runner.

They were great on and off the road, but I always kind of questioned whether or not I should have gone with something a bit more biased towards the dirt... That is, until my first panic brake/evasive maneuver. I'd buy em again in a heartbeat.

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/5/17 12:27 p.m.

I know lots of people love the BFG KO, but man it's an ancient design! There are better tires these days IMO....

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/17 12:32 p.m.

Posting this while riding in my wife's 4th gen. I put on Michelin Defender LTX and LOVE them. Amazing how well they perform. Quiet too.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
8/5/17 12:32 p.m.

I have kuhmo at51s one my 4th gen 4Runner. 3rd set on this truck. Best so far. Quiet on highway. Good snow and ice traction

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/17 4:27 p.m.

Here's another option. I did this last year for my Tacoma. At the time, they were $900 shipped for brand new takeoffs, without TPMS sensors.

eBay link, New Takeoffs

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/5/17 6:21 p.m.

I bet a good AS tire will work just fine. Just because it is what it is doesn't mean it HAS to have an off road tire, My KJ came with AS tires.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/5/17 8:38 p.m.

I've had the BFG KO2's and they were decent, but then I switched to the Bridgestone Dueller Revo2. First on our 4Runner and now on our Sequioa. Both vehicles were the wife's kid-hauler/my tow rig/occasional off-roader at the time o purchase, so the tires have to be good at everything (including winter weather).

The Revo2s have been great. Quiet on the road (BFGs were kind of noisy). Good ride, steering response, and handling. Great dirt, gravel, and snow traction. Wife could immediately tell the difference n ride quality and quietness. I think they wear a bit faster than the BFGs do, but personally I think they are worth it for an "everything" SUV all-terrain.

I will say that the BFGs are superior for more "hardcore" off-roading, especially on really rocky stuff. But in every other category, I found the Revo2s to be equal or better.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
8/5/17 9:11 p.m.

Where do you live? How much snow are you talking about? I just moved to the mountains in Colorado and put Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on my Lexus GX470 upon recommendations by the locals. Rated severe snow duty and a good off road tire, too. Haven't been through a winter with them, yet.

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/5/17 9:59 p.m.

In reply to Basil Exposition:

I have the duratracs, love them, great in the snow, but the big lugs will dig holes if your not careful. Didn't suggest them as he was looking for an AT tire and I think they are really pushing the line between Mt and AT. Like the tires a lot though, they are softer and wear quicker also. But great traction

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/17 12:00 a.m.

The Michelin MX4s? I think thats what was on mine when I had it 3-4 years ago. Quiet and comfy on the highway, handled dirt/mud/snow with aplomb and had long life.

If you aren't doing "real" off-roading a normal M+S truck tire will handle anything you need.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/6/17 7:20 a.m.
java230 wrote: I know lots of people love the BFG KO, but man it's an ancient design! There are better tires these days IMO....

now that I think about it, my parents had the same darn treat pattern on their F150 in the mid-nineties

Wow

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
8/6/17 7:53 a.m.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to take Woody's suggestion and find some takeoffs since I'm not much of a fan of my current stock wheels. I found some new 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport rims with Firestone Destination le2's with only 7500 miles including tpms and lugnuts for $750 locally on CL. They are an suv/light truck tire. I could then sell mine for a few hundred. I bought those tires last year for the wife. Good reviews. I deal with crazy Ohio weather. Not too much deep snow lately, but you never know around here.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/17 8:34 a.m.

In reply to Fletch1:

I think mine came from a place in Alabama that modifies brand new trucks for a Toyota dealership. Tires were claimed to have 18 miles on them.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/6/17 8:39 a.m.

I've been happy with the Pathfinder All Terrains that I got last year. Although it was odd putting "pathfinders" on a 4runner.
While they are not the quietest tire ever, they handled the little bit of snow that we got over the winter with ease.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ReunTWJFBUjVYdoceY03nRSgAAmyorMrKNQVQ5RDIh0g8FhX21iAWdAyHe5TJ4o5