weemanch
weemanch New Reader
April 29, 2011 2:43 a.m.

okay so i want to stay in sts for autocross. right now i am told my miata would be in sts by someone that has a lot of experience. here is a little info on my girlie car.i also need to find a rather tame alignment setup as well.

96 miata with PPE so it has a 4.30 rear gear along with a lsd :) which makes for some rather fun times.along with NB top mounts and a set of tein super streets.cars currently on stock rims with i think they are called (for the tire company) kelly something one another. they mildly remind me of a rs3's(look wise at least).also the thing has a custom cat back exhaust. along with the hard top.

dean1484 SuperDork
April 29, 2011 6:01 a.m.

Ok and what are we asking here? Do you want an alternative to your miata? Are you selling your miata? Sounds like a nice car!

mw HalfDork
April 29, 2011 6:08 a.m.

I don't know what PPE is, but I don't think you can run a 96 with an LSD legally. Bases on what you have listed so far, I think you would find the most time by getting a set of wheels and tires. 15x7.5 and your choice of the many sts tires offered. Despite having similar tread patterns, your current tires will be much slower than rs3's

Gimp Dork
April 29, 2011 7:12 a.m.

You can run the viscus LSD if it was an option for your car. You can't change your rear ratio.

I "think" PPE is a header. If so, it has to meet the rules for catalytic convertors.

bravenrace SuperDork
April 29, 2011 7:47 a.m.

Are 2 seat cars legal in STS? I thought there was another ST? class for them.

Gimp Dork
April 29, 2011 7:52 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Are 2 seat cars legal in STS? I thought there was another ST? class for them.

You're living in the past, man....

STS became ST. STS2 became STS.

EricM
EricM Dork
April 29, 2011 8:07 a.m.
Gimp wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Are 2 seat cars legal in STS? I thought there was another ST? class for them.

You're living in the past, man....

STS became ST. STS2 became STS.

Wither STR?

Soma007
Soma007 Reader
April 29, 2011 8:08 a.m.

Lets get some stuff straight. First, unless you've changed it no NA 1.8 Miata came with a 4.30 diff. Only the 1.6's had them. Its not legal in STS to change the final drive ratio. That alone would put you into CSP.

Second any LSD other than the factory viscous unit found in the 1.6 cars is also not legal for STS. If you have a factory Torsen then you could run STR except for that final drive change.

If what you said is accurate then as it sits your car is a CSP (and a very underprepared one).

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
April 29, 2011 1:02 p.m.

hm, well i am wrong on the rear gear then. also PPE is short for popular equipment package, which one of them features is the lsd. so for me it was a factory option in my car. also if my car is in csp berkeley that then i won't do E36 M3 since i am not gonna piss my money away until i buy more parts.but now i'll have to talk to my friend and make sure i am in the right class to begin with since i know i found my car last event was in e stock.

(where i got the rear gear info was someplace on miata.net, which it was a 1.8l car that knew he had a 4.30 at least assuming he knew he had one since thats what he was claiming.but all my mph vs rpm matched up to him.)

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
April 29, 2011 1:03 p.m.

(crap clicked send too soon and you can't edit?) but i am keeping my car for awhile hopefully since it will be getting a nice v8 if all goes well :)

Soma007
Soma007 Reader
April 29, 2011 1:12 p.m.

If the car still has the factory rear diff ratio in it (4.10) then you could run in STR instead of CSP.

STS would only be an option if you still have the 4.10 gears and an open diff.

Either way you're going to be at a big disadvantage on those no name tires. I'd make them first on your upgrade list.

ransom Reader
April 29, 2011 1:18 p.m.
weemanch wrote: (crap clicked send too soon and you can't edit?) but i am keeping my car for awhile hopefully since it will be getting a nice v8 if all goes well :)

You should see edit and delete buttons in the upper right hand area of each of your posts.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
April 30, 2011 1:51 a.m.
ransom wrote:
weemanch wrote: (crap clicked send too soon and you can't edit?) but i am keeping my car for awhile hopefully since it will be getting a nice v8 if all goes well :)

You should see edit and delete buttons in the upper right hand area of each of your posts.

okay thank you, this "forum" is a little different then most. also ya it still has the factory ratios as far as i am aware of which its possible that said guy on miata.net was wrong.so how much will i be getting my ass handed to me in str?also what else are more upgrades i can do to get me competitive in my new class, but yet not make buying something twice?also wheels and tires are on buy list.

skrzastek Reader
April 30, 2011 7:30 a.m.
weemanch wrote: hm, well i am wrong on the rear gear then. also PPE is short for popular equipment package, which one of them features is the lsd. so for me it was a factory option in my car.

If you have the PPE, you can run the car in STR

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
April 30, 2011 2:58 p.m.
skrzastek wrote:
weemanch wrote: hm, well i am wrong on the rear gear then. also PPE is short for popular equipment package, which one of them features is the lsd. so for me it was a factory option in my car.

If you have the PPE, you can run the car in STR

yes i have the ppe also my friend was saying for are area that the str is a faster class?i'll probably just email a chairman and see if they can help me real fast.

friedgreencorrado SuperDork
April 30, 2011 5:53 p.m.
weemanch wrote:
skrzastek wrote:
weemanch wrote: hm, well i am wrong on the rear gear then. also PPE is short for popular equipment package, which one of them features is the lsd. so for me it was a factory option in my car.

If you have the PPE, you can run the car in STR

yes i have the ppe also my friend was saying for are area that the str is a faster class?i'll probably just email a chairman and see if they can help me real fast.

Yeah, STR's faster. You're gonna see guys with Honda S2000s & stuff.

http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=3&news=3629

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
April 30, 2011 6:52 p.m.

welp i am SOL, on trying to be competitve then.l cause i know this past event str was a difference of like 4 seconds between me and a friends car running in str.

friedgreencorrado SuperDork
April 30, 2011 8:59 p.m.
EricM wrote:
Gimp wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Are 2 seat cars legal in STS? I thought there was another ST? class for them.

You're living in the past, man....

STS became ST. STS2 became STS.

Wither STR?

Faster 2-seaters. Honda S2000, BMW Z3/Z4 etc. Guy's got a legitimate question..going to STR with a Miata that hasn't been breathed on a lil' bit (or without enough experience to have a bunch of Nat'l wins) is gonna hurt.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
May 1, 2011 5:19 a.m.

well if i am going to be stuck in str what are some mods i can do to at least have a fighting chance?

Jamesc2123 Reader
May 1, 2011 6:47 a.m.

as others have said, by far the largest impact you could make are some dedicated wheels and tires. I think (check the solo rulebook, or someone here can tell you) the widest wheels ard tires you can run are a 7.5" wheel, and a 255mm tire for STR. After that, I'd say anti-roll bars for both axles. After that, whatever legal engine bolt ons will get you the most power, but you'd have to ask the miata-ites what would be best for that.

Looking at some past national tour results, your miata has shown quite well. It may never win a national championship, but with the right mods and driving it should be very competitive just about anywhere else.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
May 1, 2011 2:27 p.m.

the main thing is i dont wanna spend X amount of dollars on a part/parts and have to replace them when i got to a v8 and i am being dead serious on going with a v8 swap. my car maybe down for a while but yea i am fine with that.

keethrax Reader
May 1, 2011 4:09 p.m.
weemanch wrote: the main thing is i dont wanna spend X amount of dollars on a part/parts and have to replace them when i got to a v8 and i am being dead serious on going with a v8 swap. my car maybe down for a while but yea i am fine with that.

Seems like your worrying about two non-compatible things at once. The killer of many a fun car.

I mean, let's thikn about this...

What performance related subsystems do you thing aren't going to be replaced in a a V8 swap? It seems to me that just about anything you'd care to name that would help you now is going to get axed if you do do a swap. So you have to ask yourself:

1) How serious am I about the swap in future?

and

2) Is being competitive now worth it?

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
May 1, 2011 5:17 p.m.

who's that, seriously?

FlightService HalfDork
May 1, 2011 5:37 p.m.

In reply to racinginc215:

I haven't seen any anti-semitic or anti-woman rants yet. Is it the car?

Jamesc2123 Reader
May 1, 2011 6:50 p.m.

DJHives was a recent flash in the pan on the forum. He came in commenting on all things miata, made a huge mess of things, made everybody mad, and was banned like, two days after he showed up. Forgive the fellow who mentioned it, i'm sure you're not a troll, everyone here is just a little bit jumpy of late.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Born In Brooklyn: A Championship RX-7 From an Unlikely Place

6 hours ago in Articles

A Mazda RX-7 autocrosser from the middle of New York City.

GRM Live Tonight on Wednesday, June 28: The Science Behind Fasteners

15 hours ago in News

They hold all of your work together, but do you know when to use each type of fastener?

Your Projects: E46 M3 Transformation

19 hours ago in News

Watch this E46 M3 go from tuned street car to winged time trial racer in just one page.

You Need This: Indian Flat-Track Race Bike, Front Brake Optional

19 hours ago in News

We know, it's not a car but, still, it’s cool.

Autocross: It's a Jeep Thing

1 day ago in Articles

What’s a yellow Jeep doing on an autocross course?

Tech Tips: 2005-'14 Ford Mustang GT

1 day ago in Articles

Want to learn some speed tricks for the S197 Ford Mustang GT? We brought in an expert.

Removing Clear Bra From Project Rallycross Focus

1 day ago in Project Cars

Our latest to-do item was motivated by self-respect rather than speed.

2017 Ram 1500 Night Edition Crew Cab

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Half-ton trucks are just getting bigger and bigger, aren't they. This Ram 150, dubbed "Night Edition," is really an optioned-out ...

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Action Cam Guide

2 days ago in Articles

Capture your on-track memories with today’s latest and greatest

Reader's Ride of the Week: Troyer Modified Hillclimber

2 days ago in News

It's a circle track car that's been convinced to turn left and right, and go up hills.

You Need This: Track-Ready 1991 Mazda Miata for $5500

2 days ago in News

What’s better than a Miata? How about a Miata that’s ready for the track?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
4LzeRoZ0O4KK1fJhXqW8hdPwKkIN6fMB