1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/23/12 6:15 p.m.

I have a line on a really good conditions RX7 FC for short $$$$. The catch is it is less the motor. The good side of things is it has a complete T2 drive line in it. The interior and exterior are all but mint and it comes with a bunch of performance parts. (not sure what they are at the moment)

I could just go ford 302. Simple, cheep, fun been done before many times. I can get a motor form a Explorer complete with wiring harness accessories and whatnot for not much cash as my local P&P has a glut of them. they have stopped pulling them as they have so many. I think 300 HP naturally aspirated from one of these is a reasonable expectation with out power adders.

LSX swaps are.. .. Well not really I want to do. The only motor that would be in he price range would be a LM4. It being all aluminum and its compact size make it an attractive package

What I was really thinking would be fun would be something "like" a 4age with a turbo or some other 4 cylinder motor with boost. Preferably something that can hit the 7K RPMs with out issue. This kind of keeps the high revving feeling of the FC alive if you know what I mean.

Another thought is to go with one of the Mazda V6's but I really don't know allot about them but they did come in RWD variants that make the install not all that bad.

So what would you put in it?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/12 6:17 p.m.

vq35 from the 350z?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
7/23/12 6:21 p.m.

Ford 302. Easy, lots of people have done it, and the car will be so much fun with 300hp and torques! Don't forget the torques!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/23/12 6:32 p.m.

I'd do the Mazda 3.0 litre V6 (JE). Then boost it.

Or get stupid and put an F2T in it. (2.2 SOHC 12v Turbo) This isn't exactly a screamer, though. 6200rpms is about all it's got.

Stock motor is more than capable of taking 300whp and over 400wtq.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/12 6:37 p.m.

I've seen dozens of LS-swapped FC's, and more than a handful 302/5.0 ones, but never a 5.0 with the EFI. That's my vote, personally. Get the Exploder motor in there, keep the EFI, and see what happens.

dean1484
7/23/12 6:53 p.m.

Ya I am leaning towards the 5.0 it just seems simple and well documented and would give me enough fun factor. I bet I could easily do it for challenge money.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
7/23/12 7:32 p.m.

Put the damn 13BREW engine back in that Greg had in there!!!

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive New Reader
7/23/12 7:37 p.m.

5.0 would be cheap, easy, and reliable.

If you wanted a high screaming 4 banger I vote a F20/F22 out of a S2K! You'd get +10 internets for being super unique, and piss off all the rotary purists at the same time!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
7/23/12 7:37 p.m.

Put a boinger in an FC? Blasphemer!

(Well, somebody had to say it.)

sanman
sanman Reader
7/23/12 7:58 p.m.

302 is probably the best way to go. 4g63 if you want to get creative. Or grab a Honda k24 out of an accord or crv and match it to a k20a rsx type s head with a few tsx internals. The frankenmotor is really only good for the same HP as the 302 though, but will rev to 8k.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/12 8:42 p.m.

I'd put a Megasquirted, naturally aspirated, bridge ported 13B in it.

Then again, that's my answer to everything nowadays.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/23/12 8:49 p.m.

I'd buy all the parts to make a 1000 hp challenge budgeted monster then move the shell and all the parts around the yard and into another yard when you move and generally ignore it the rest of the time while you buy and ignore other projects.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/23/12 9:12 p.m.

Mine...

330RWHP, high 11s in the quarter and 1.02Gs laterally. I have the alignment specs from a national championship winning 7 available to me, and the plans for the conversion are free on my old site:

http://www.freewebs.com/adesso/rxengine.htm

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/12 9:24 p.m.

I like the SR20 det, or mitsubishi 2.0Turbo with mightymax trans. nothing wrong with a merkur or turbo coupe drivetrain either, aside from weight. Yeah, turbo goodness would be nice.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/12 9:26 p.m.

oooo ooo ooo, or did you see the guy that hooked a subaru engine up to a rwd trans in a first gen? I'm thinking WRX7

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/12 9:37 p.m.

If you're swapping in a different motor, take a well documented swap and go with that. I'd vote Ford V8. No point in going with stupid power, you won't have the tire to put it down unless you do some mods there, too.

Granny's Speed Shop has the entire kit, and from what I understand from somebody who did it, it is a pretty simple project. His factory speedo, tach, etc. still worked with the V8 in it.

Plus, it is a hoot to drive.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/12 9:39 p.m.

WRX7?

That is brilliant.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
7/23/12 9:41 p.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: oooo ooo ooo, or did you see the guy that hooked a subaru engine up to a rwd trans in a first gen? I'm thinking WRX7

I like where this is going: http://www.rx7club.com/build-threads-293/finally-my-build-thread-some-weird-crap-here-938042/

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/23/12 9:45 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Granny's Speed Shop has the entire kit, and from what I understand from somebody who did it, it is a pretty simple project. His factory speedo, tach, etc. still worked with the V8 in it. Plus, it is a *hoot* to drive.

Granny's uses my car in their advertising, AFTER it was bought by it's new owner. My car did not use their kit. It used the mounts I fabbed above. For $20.

dean1484
7/23/12 9:45 p.m.
Mazda 605 wrote: Put the damn 13BREW engine back in that Greg had in there!!!

I would love to BUT it is in his FD. I just can not seem to keep rotary motors together. Don't get me wrong I love the feel of them when I drive them but for some reason keeping one together for more than 50K is just not in the cards for me. I broke so many motors in my FC that I could change one by my self in 3-4 hours depending on how much of the accessories I had to swap over. I think I did 5 of them in 3 years. In fairness one was my fault I missed a shift going in to turn one at NHIS and probably spun it out to 12-14K.

I wonder if you could take a millenia S motor remove the miller cycle supercharger. Re grind the cams to reduce the overlap and put a "normal" type of forced induction on it. Say a turbo. Then somehow mount it all up in an FC. Sounds simple enough. .. . . . I would never make the Challenge budget unless there was some creative financing but that is the type of thing I would like to do.

B430
B430 Reader
7/23/12 9:48 p.m.

Another vote for 302, it's going to be the best combo of cheap, powerful, and reliable. Plus they sound great.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/23/12 9:50 p.m.
B430 wrote: Another vote for 302, it's going to be the best combo of cheap, powerful, and reliable. Plus they sound great.

yes, they do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRSf6D8oRkA

dean1484
7/23/12 9:51 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: Granny's Speed Shop has the entire kit, and from what I understand from somebody who did it, it is a pretty simple project. His factory speedo, tach, etc. still worked with the V8 in it. Plus, it is a *hoot* to drive.
Granny's uses my car in their advertising, AFTER it was bought by it's new owner. My car did not use their kit. It used the mounts I fabbed above. For $20.

I will give you $40 if you make me a set ... . .. Seriously how much would you charge to make a set for a potential challenge car? Do you take payment in the form of a GRM subscription?

Wait I have a new rules change for the challenge. If you make payment in the form of a GRM subscription you should be able to apply 1/4 of the amount to the budget. So say you give some one a 2 year script for a set of used tires. 1/4 of the subscription cost gets put to the challenge budget. What do you all think?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/24/12 4:30 p.m.

See the 6 rotor thread...

B430
B430 Reader
7/24/12 5:35 p.m.
bgkast wrote: See the 6 rotor thread...

Unless getting <5mpg around town doesn't appeal to you.

I like the concept of rotaries, but in reality they are so inferior in so many important ways that unless your specific goal is to have a rotary powered car I can't see why anyone would choose one.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UOITBs0SNNfBCgetRcsMJkfiQcwNqbc1j3uPQ2yKYhGf9xAaLA6YC7hvtiRtMdSo