1 2
tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
12/23/14 5:51 a.m.
dj06482 wrote: And... ....the deal fell through. My wife ran across something on the internet that mentioned rear heat and A/C being optional on the SE's. Not rear seat HVAC controls, but rear HVAC, period. Apparently all HVAC needs are handled through the front dash vents and some vents under the front seats. Given the cold and heat extremes we see up here in CT, the fact that the middle windows can't roll down, and the fact that we would be heavily utilizing the two rear rows made it a deal-breaker for us. We'll likely continue the hunt, but go for a higher trim package like the SXT.

Did you check to see if the van had it? Ours is a lowly base model and has that, the rear controls, the power gate and power doors. Don't write off the base models just because your wife read something on the internet. Although I do recognize that you're reading this on the internet, but whatever. I have proof, if you need me to take pictures of my van and its rear climate control I can I guess.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/14 9:17 a.m.

Unfortunately, in the SE rear HVAC was a $3k option. The owner showed me the original window sticker, and the only option on it was the 2nd row Stow & Go. This one didn't have it We also looked at the roof and it didn't have any vents.

Here's a couple of threads with some good info on this:

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/66505-2014-Grand-Caravan-AVP-%28non-SE%29-owners-A-C-question

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3112301

Looks like the search continues, but just a heads-up to anyone who's looking for one of these. I'm disappointed, because I really liked the van, but we would have regretted getting one without rear HVAC.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/23/14 9:58 a.m.

Huh... didn't realize that was an option. Mine has the rear heat/controls and I agree it's nice to have. Even when I don't have anyone in the back, I'll occasionally run the rear heat or A/C to speed up bringing the entire cabin up/down to temp. With the dash vents only, it can seem like forever to warm up or cool all that space.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/23/14 10:05 a.m.

FWIW--- the 2014 30th Anniversary Edition (2014 model) combines options from other levels into a more customizable package. For instance, mine has rear A/C and heat, Bluetooth, roll-down rear windows, and the 2nd row stow&go, but I don't have power sliding doors, DVD players, a rear-view camera or all the other stuff I don't need.

The 30th Anny package also comes with unique wheels and trim. It's a way to get a cheap van, that doesn't look cheap, and you can pick the options that are important to you.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/14 10:22 a.m.

@Joe - I like what you outlined in the Anniversary Edition - the ability to select individual options is very helpful. Thanks for the insight!

f6sk
f6sk Reader
12/23/14 11:24 a.m.

We are working on a penstar now. Look up the issue with the cylinder heads. They have a valve guide/seat issue. The factory has an extended replacement warranty on these.

Old_Town
Old_Town New Reader
12/23/14 12:05 p.m.

Don't forget about the Chyrsler's odd German cousin, the VW Routan. We have a 2011 with the Pentastar and has been a solid (and quick) kid-mover. You can't get the Stow-n-Go but the few times I've had to remove the middle seats it hasn't been too bad.

We found that since VW only had three trim levels w/ packages, we could more easily shop them for what we needed.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/23/14 9:54 p.m.

I recall the '10 T&C I had as a rental had power windows in the sliding doors.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
12/25/14 11:38 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
gearheadE30 wrote: ...wtf Chrysler. Didn't they have some programming at one point that turned the 4/5 speed into a real 5 speed? I've driven the 5/6 speed vans, and they really don't like staying in top gear on the highway unless you're going pretty quick. It's just geared too tall, and there's no way to make it hold the gear. Decent vehicle, but man that transmission frustrated the hell out of me, and I have a pretty steady throttle foot. Maybe they aren't all that way, though.
Mine has not showed this. Don't you also have the ability to shift it manually by moving the lever sideways? I do that from time to time.

Yeah, but it's just a range select, not actual manumatic. As in, it just limits the maximum gear. I almost always left it in 5 unless I'm on the highway and I'll let it use 6th. I never noticed a fuel economy difference. They may have changed the shifter in the newer ones; I'm not sure. This was in a 2012.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5wJ4cGAtCSQNTQwXMBEcOocrrU8aRcadJ36nfRFqcWN6PP5iY76V6vR6IOlD2uhP